TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sleep which way on lower bed? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
IdahoDoug Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am

Still finalizing a plan to sleep 4 in our tintop and wondered if there's a reason to sleep with head toward front, or rear? Seems like to the front makes sense as you can more easily crawl forward to get out of bed without disturbing your spouse. On the other hand, if someone has to leave the van at night for a call of nature, having the slider and cold air right by the sleeper's face might be a disadvantage. Experienced sleeper input?

Have people noted that one end of the Z bed setup is higher than the other? Knowing the latter may allow me to add spacers to level it out when I am fabricating the mounts to replace my folding rear seats to the Z bed. Thanks!

DougM

dobryan Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 am

How tall are you? I am 6' 4" and have to sleep with my head at the back so my feet can hang off the bed (but I am used to that with a lot of beds).

:lol:

kamzcab86 Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am

I (5'9") now sleep downstairs quite a bit, and sleep with my head towards the hatch. 8)

ZimZam Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:56 am

If you lay w/ head your towards the front the pillows have a tendency to slide onto the deck. The upper bunk same thing unless I lay diagonally. I'm 6'3.

madspaniard Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am

dobryan wrote: How tall are you? I am 6' 4" and have to sleep with my head at the back so my feet can hang off the bed (but I am used to that with a lot of beds).

:lol:

x2 6'1" here

boulderdrop Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am

The upper-bunk is kind of useless to me, sleeping with my head pointing towards the back of the van is a little claustrophobic, smelly and wet when I touch the canvas. Gotta sleep with my head towards the front, but my pillow falls off and it's chilly.

The lower, I like sleeping with my head pointing towards the back; but it's harder to get in and under the covers with two people. In cold-weather camping, even though I have the propex, it's in the default install location and requires me to put my head towards the front to feel the heat.. but then my pillow always falls to the ground. grrr.

All in all, I like having my head at the back; but there's always a reason we end up reversed. Not perfect.

PDXWesty Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 am

We sleep with our heads at the back. I can't tell you how many times I've banged my friggin head though sitting up too quickly. Be careful of that.

Because there's only two of us and a dog, I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed. Now the dog (95 lb lab) is happy sleeping at the foot of the bed rather than trying to squeeze inbetween us. Makes for a much nicer nights sleep.

boulderdrop Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 am

PDXWesty wrote: I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed.

WHOA! Pic? I'd like to see that.

We don't have kids (yet) and I really hate sleeping on the top. It's made for little people. I love the idea of extending the bed.

pioneer1 Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am

Gee I would not have thought that such a topic would command any replies but I guess it's a slow day for Samba...that said :lol: it would depend how level you park.Try sleeping with your head on a downward slope and it will become evident

IdahoDoug Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am

Had not thought about the pillow drop thing. Seems like I read something here a year ago about a little fabric/netting wall to keep pillows from falling out of a Westy's top bunk. Would be a good idea to fit that on lower bunks to prevent middle of the night pillow drops..

I'm 5' 10" so should be fine, fit wise. Keep the thoughts coming. The comment about getting back into bed with heads to the rear being difficult makes sense - you have to pull the sheets/blankets back while you're kinda kneeling on them. A formula for waking your spouse.

As for parking level, I'd intentionally park with whatever end my head's at slightly up. A handy rock or small chunk of 2X4 would do it, I"m sure.

DougM

chimivee Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 am

Head rear: In cold weather, it can get a little cold if you're head's right up against the hatch. That said, the "confinement" feels a little more cozy, for better or worse. If you have a propex under the bench and you're sensitive to the noise, it's quieter in this position. If you read before bed, you can prop up against the hatch, before sinking down to sleep.

Head front: Pillow can slide off onto the floor if you're a rowdy sleeper. Head feels a little warmer to me when it's cold out and top is down. Can sit up with out bonking your head. Can use the stowed table as a night stand.

I change it up to add variety to my life.

DAIZEE Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am

I sleep alone, oops little 9 lber ShihTzu too, 5'7" and I like my head in centre of van. I'd not consider sleeping with head at back. You could rig a net that you put across at night to prevent pillows falling. hmmm I sleep with 2 pillows and neither fall out and I do get up during the night. Interesting topic. :) Slept same way in Westy.

I have a zed bed, I dislike it but I put all new foam in that matches. I wear a head lite to read.

Home Team Van Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am

boulderdrop wrote: PDXWesty wrote: I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed.

We don't have kids (yet) and I really hate sleeping on the top. It's made for little people. I love the idea of extending the bed.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131000&highlight=bunk+upper+extension

madspaniard Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

Home Team Van wrote: boulderdrop wrote: PDXWesty wrote: I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131000&highlight=bunk+upper+extension

here is what I did too for the upper bed, bed extension and pillow at the same time so I don't have to worry about the pillow falling down

madspaniard wrote:

I finally finished my upper bed extension/pillow. A must if you are tall and don't fit in the upper bed. Materials: marine quality plywood, mattress foam, gray vinyl, contact cement, gray fabric, HD Velcro, staple gun, needle and thread. Pics below

almost finished sewing Velcro

adding HD felt pads to board points of contact with van upper siderails

this is how the bed extension travels in the van

PDXWesty Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am

Home Team Van wrote: boulderdrop wrote: PDXWesty wrote: I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed.

I'm talking LOWER bed extension. I'll have to get some pics going soon.

BlackDogVan Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Not the first time i've been asked how I sleep at night.

O well, the life of a sociopath I suppose...

j8 Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey DougM.

When we sleep downstairs in the westy we'll sleep either way. It's cozy with the pillows against the back hatch and kinda heartwarming to see the van like a landscape in front of us. But we don't have the height issue, and sometimes it's easier on the back to sleep with the head towards the middle of the van. The way the seat foam works it sorta supports and cradles my old spine.

I dunno what will work best for you. Experiment :lol:

Williamtaylor33 Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Head towards the hatch so I can see the stars out the rear window.

PDXWesty Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 pm

j8 wrote: Hey DougM.

sometimes it's easier on the back to sleep with the head towards the middle of the van. The way the seat foam works it sorta supports and cradles my old spine.

Try a foam mattress topper. 1-1/2" or 2". It works wonders!

bjrogers86auto Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:45 pm

That might have been me that mentioned the net. We have two girls sleeping upstairs with a variety of pillows, stuffed animals and special blankies. hehe.

I took the Gowesty net for the head banger cabinet and unsnapped the upper mattress and hooked the hooks on the pop top hinge. This eliminated the "Dada can you get me my tootoo?" (stuffed animal)

Also, since we sleep with heads in the back the net was a pain in the forehead! Literally.

Brian.