TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: tranny fluid leaking!
traviswx1 Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm

So I've been working on the car and ran it for a little bit while it had the ass end on jack stands just high enough to lift the rear wheels off the ground, and it was leaking gear oil out of the nosecone vent. Did I fill it too much? Plus I have an over the tunnel type shifter and fluid got in the car. What would one do if they had a 10 degree mount? do you gotta fill the vent hole? Any info would be appreciated.

jsturtlebuggy Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 am

This is an early version of the vent fitting I install in a bus trans.
The ones I do now I use a 1/4" NPTbushing with a 1/8"NPT fitting to 1/4" hose or larger.
Using a hose attached to the fitting will get the vent higher if you ever decided to drive through high water.

traviswx1 Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:12 pm

The spot where you have the flat head plug is where it was leaking the oil. I can only imagine how much nit would have leaked if I was at a steep downgrade or something. Looks like a good fix for the prblem I got. I am also running a bus tranny. Did yours leak fluid out before you put the plugs in? Your work looks good! Thanks for the reply!

jsturtlebuggy Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 pm

The spot where the screw head is the stock breather.
When filling the transmission with fluid with 10 degree mount, make sure the transmission is in the car and at the level it is going to be. And then only fill transmission to where it running out of the fill plug. You really do not want to fill it more.
It sounds like there maybe more oil in the transmission then needed if it leaking out vent hole with car setting on level ground.
It is not that much less oil in transmission using the 10 degree mount verses it being level.
The reason for relocating the vent does kept oil from coming out and if the hose is mounted higher there is less chance of getting water into it.
A 5/16"ID hose works well even for a racing buggy with engine that turns over 9,000RPM.

traviswx1 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks the info helped alot.

jsturtlebuggy Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Your welcome,
Glad I could help you.