TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seats Stripped.
OvalWindowBucket Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:33 pm

I have stripped all the interior and padding from my front seats, and back seat. I was reading a VW Trends issue that had an article on seat upholstery installation and it said to retain the metal rods that go into the loop of the seat upholstery and hook onto those metal spikes along the seat frame(s). My interior (1956 Beetle) used just metal wire that was twised together to form a circle along the seat frame to hold the upholstery in place. Was this factory 'technique', or has my interior been replaced before?

Also, are horse hair seat pads more comfortable than the foam versions? I was thinking of buying a TMI kit from wolfsburg west. I dont exactly know how much West Coast Classics charges for just the seat covers. Id like to get an estimate...

toyvergnugen Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:52 am

IMO opinion the horsehair pads give the firm feel of the original and the foam pads are squishy feeling. Doesn't feel like a VW should. Although the foam will probably outlast the horsehair the horse hair just feels more comfortabnle. Also Horsehair gives the VW its distintive smell. I have had people in my restored 65 that hadn't been in a VW in 20 years or more and the smell evoked lots of memories. HMM. Sounds like a VW article there somewhere.

OvalWindowBucket Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:00 am

I called up West Coast Classic Restoration and got a price estimate. The guy on the phone said $860 for both door panels, seat covers, and door pillar covering.
Sounds like its not that much more than TMI. Wolfsburg West carries TMI interiors, and their same kit is $800. basically 60 more dollars for the hidden pleat that is supposedly 'correct' for my 1956 oval. I just hope that West Coast Classic interiors are strong, my oval is a daily driver. TMI has that lifetime warranty and money back gurantee.

Has anyone had WCCR interiors in their daily driver? I just wanted some input on how durable their kits were. I dont plan on thrashing it with no regard, but i do plan on driving it just about everyday again once i get somethings done to my g-ride, and dotn want my beloved, new and 'correct' interior falling apart on me :)

Thanks.