TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: are the interior lights the same for...
65busw/1776 Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:29 am

all years from oval on ???? just the little rectangle... was wondering cause i do not have one and want to find as close to orig as possible ..

thanks

joshmeacham Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:49 am

as fare as i know they are the same...they moved positions i belive in 65 but other than that they fit. I know cip1.com has them for like 3 bucks if you don't mind the brazilan kind fromt he beetles in mexico. If you want original im sure someone might could find one that isn't 'rotted' too much as they are that clear plastic stuff.
josh [email protected]

65busw/1776 Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:03 pm

cool thanks

Major Woody Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:18 pm

They will interchange, but the one that goes in my oval looks nothing like the new brazilian kind. What year car do you have, and who will you be trying to fool? NOS=$125; OG Oval=$25-50; Brazilian=$3;

The one that fits my oval has a white plastic button that looks like half a white chiclet on end, milky white plastic and a 3/16" wide chrome ring around it. The hot dip chrome is applied to the back side of the plastic.

Over time, the chrome goes first, and the little knob separates from its metal lever second. Then the plastic gets yellowy or cracks. I am still looking for an acceptable candidate for a reasonable price. A seller at Kelley Park had a NOS one for a premium price and I passed on it with no regrets.

65busw/1776 Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:22 pm

well i have a line on a nos one but its box is dated 62 so i was just making sure asthetically it would be correct for a 57 euro its got the hella stamp and VW logo so i would assume its NOS and the box and definatly has never been mounted and the plastic is clear and un cracked ... thanks though