TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 58 patina ghia Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am

hi folks, going to be posting a few shots of this 58. as you can see the certificate says the paint color is diamond grey, on the color charts this is a convertable color, maybe a custom order?? anyway you will see in the pictures some of the original color coming through.

here is the original key. it was rusted in the ignition when i got the car.

pbaptist Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 am

It was a color for a Karmann Ghia convertible and also a color for a 1958 beetle.

Your car is a beetle :? (113, VW de luxe sedan)

Regards
Patrick

hudsonce Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:36 am

do you have any pictures of the key with better detail?

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:28 am

pbaptist wrote: It was a color for a Karmann Ghia convertible and also a color for a 1958 beetle.

a mistake at the museum perhaps?

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 am

does this look like diamond grey? the darker grey is original i think.

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 pm

hudsonce wrote: do you have any pictures of the key with better detail?

here is a picture with original key that works now after soaking in oil. the choke cable was stuck too. i managed to get it out and soak it in oil too, works fine.

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 pm

i didn't even know the car had a radio when i got it. it was dismounted and had slid over to the side and was covered in acorn shells. i took it to a local guy who cleaned it up a little, and got it working.

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 pm

another shot....i visited the flat four project in tokyo a few years ago. saved this sticker for the right car. flat four, amazing place, one in kyoto too.

seanboy69 Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:55 pm

WOW...that is awsome!!!

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:35 pm

stock motor. i tried to use what ever came with the car....even if it was a little ugly....

Paul_Revere's Ghia Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Cool car- The red and white sticker on the rear bumper is a US forces overseas sticker IIRC- Would explain why your birth certificate states country of origin as Germany- Doesn't explain why they think its a Beetle thou??

Altema Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Paul_Revere's Ghia wrote: Doesn't explain why they think its a Beetle thou??
Unless the chassis was replaced by a donor (bug tunnel with ghia pans welded in), I guess it's just a typo somewhere in the car's history.

Very cool car though... I'd drive it just like that!

Paul

c21darrel Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:06 pm

"The red and white sticker on the rear bumper is a US forces overseas sticker IIRC-"

or it could mean the PO was a scuba diver :)

Rich's 50 Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Very nice

technik Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:38 pm

calexican wrote: does this look like diamond grey? the darker grey is original i think.

I think they made a mistake, It should be dolphin blue?

calexican Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:45 pm

another hollywood shot....i think the sticker is a diving symbol, the car came from california....

if its dolphin blue i will jump for joy. that's my favorite color of all the ghia's.

and thanks for all the compliments. i've been inspired by all the beautiful stock restorations lately.....but budget and time says i will be driving as is for a long time.

Rusted Relics Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 pm

c21darrel wrote: "The red and white sticker on the rear bumper is a US forces overseas sticker IIRC-"

or it could mean the PO was a scuba diver :)

or a Van Halen fan (Diver Down)

:D

dmercer Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:20 am

calexican wrote:

another hollywood shot....i think the sticker is a diving symbol, the car came from california....
I love this pic -- what a great car!
Do you have any "before" pictures from when you found it?

John Moxon Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:35 am

calexican wrote: pbaptist wrote: It was a color for a Karmann Ghia convertible and also a color for a 1958 beetle.

a mistake at the museum perhaps?

If you ordered that birth certificate I would contact them sending a picture of the car and certificate, asking them to note it is a Ghia not a Beetle as stated in the certificate. Also ask them to check the original paint code.

Birth certificates aren't cheap any more so you should expect a better result than the one they sent. :?

Great Ghia BTW. :)

captainvw Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:57 am

i love this car 8)