TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My new Type 34 Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
type241 Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 am

Just got this very solid and complete 64/65 from an estate sale. Never would of bought it but very nice for these cars.
[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]

Bobnotch Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 am

Nice. Is it for sale? :wink:

type241 Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:28 am

Everything has its price :) :) . I am a die hard bus guy so this odd ball t-3 is going to be a challenge learning. Right now I am just looking for parts. This is sort of like barndoor busses in terms of parts finding. VERY tough.
The only issue from keeping it driving is f'd up wiring. Had a hot wire melt down. PO tried to fix but made it worse. Need fuse block, turn signal switch, and a few other electrical gizmos. Horn relay, foglight relay.
In the trunk there are no horns or boot but instead a factory blanking plate????
Almost zero rust. matching #'s (I was told). Engine never out??,95% complete, and I believe 104K on odometer.
Are there any pics of an OG interior?? The back seat looks like a ribbed corduroy look while the door panels are a smooth leatherette???

Sorry for the ambush of ?'s but there isn't alot of info out there on these.

MORE PICS IN GALLERY

t3kg Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:30 am

Nice score, congratulations. It's a '65. Looks nice, straight and original, and it should clean up well.

t3kg Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:35 am

The horn situation with the blanking plate is correct for '65. The horns should be located under the front bumper. A small batch of new wiring harnesses is currently being reproduced so if you need one now's the time.

Lots of information on these Type 34 sites:

www.type34.com
(Type 34 Registry -- check to see if your car is in the database already and if not you can add it in)

www.t34world.org

Good luck and let us know how we can help.
Scott

Bobnotch Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:36 am

I'm kind of restoring a 64 myself, and know someone who is looking for a T-34.
I know your pain as far as looking for parts. The pickings are pretty slim, unless you know someone, and even then you might not find what you're looking for, as someone else already beat you to it. :roll:

Bobnotch Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:47 am

I don't know if you need a front trunk seal or not, but both are available from ISP West. You might check with them for some parts as well, as Alex has some t-34 only stuff hiding there.

t3kg Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:50 am

Fuse block is the same as any Type 3 from 62-66, so that won't be hard to find.

The relays should be easy, since they're Type 2 and Ghia parts:
Fog lamp relay: 211 953 225
Horn relay: 141 951 251 B

If the signal switch itself needs replacement it will be more of a challenge. It's a Type 34-only part.

type241 Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:56 am

The hi/lo switch at end of lever melted from hot wire incident.

The front seats match the door panels but the rear seat is different material but OG. It is very similar to the aero papyrus used in sea blue busses. Looks like striped vinyl that resembles corduroy?? Maybe wrong rear seat??

t3kg Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:59 am

That's easier then. The hi/lo button is a standard part shared with the Type 3, so they're out there. It's the switch lever itself that's made of unobtanium.

The solid-color door panels are correct for '65. I would guess that the rear seat is original and the fronts have been recovered.

Here's a link to the t34world page on sea blue '65 interior options:
http://www.leehedges.com/t34/puret34/colors/1965/seablue.jpg

Anything there look like your back seat?

Soul Built Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:02 am

type241 wrote: Everything has its price :) :)

What price might that be? PM me if you are serious about selling :wink:

type241 Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=988538
This is what my rear seat looks like. My fronts should match rear. That means seats and door panels dont match.

t3kg Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 am

Type 3 and Type 34 interiors are completely different.

Lee Hedges Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:36 am

That's a nice find! Looks like it'll clean-up fine and be an original preserved driver with a couple parts.

The early 6V fuse box is (as Scott said) a standard T3 part:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=836038

Wiring Diagram for the 1965 is here:
http://www.leehedges.com/t34/puret34/wiringdiagrams/1965to66front.jpg

The interior panel color is called Parchment (a light silver-beige) and the interior panels should be monotone for 1965. The front seat color is called Aero-Gray and should have their center sections with the 1965-only leatherette with horizontal line pattern. The rear seat is made of this same material. It tends to disintegrate with exposure to the sun, so that explains why the front seat centers have already been replaced with a matching vinyl color. Monotone seat upholstery is correct for 1965, so it still looks OK as-is. Finding the original 1965-only material is really a tough task (even for T34 experts).

Pics below are on a Smoke Gray original M344 (RHD Coupe) in England with the Parchment interior.

[/url]

type241 Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:46 am

I found the CAUSE of the electrical meltdown. The older gent who passed was elderly, hard of sight, hard of hearing, memory, etc. According to the family he had a tough time seeing and remembering the last of his years. He stilled fiddled with cars though.
He connected the grey wire in headlight bucket to ground. Causing some other carnage in the loom.
My question is what does the grey wire connect to as there isn't a parking bulb in the headlight like other VW's?

t3kg Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 am

The grey wire is for the parking light and definitely shouldn't have gone to ground. Most Type 34s in the US were converted to sealed beams from Euro bulb-type headlights. The Euro headlights incorporated parking lights, and sealed beams obviously don't, so there was nowhere for the wire to go in the conversion. Some Type 34s that were set up specifically for the North American market had dual-pole front turn signals and the grey wire was re-routed to the signal, as shown on this standard Type 3 wiring diagram:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_1600_66.jpg

(it's not so easy to find a Type 34 diagram for the sealed beam setup, but maybe someone here has one and can point us to it)

KTPhil Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 am

Amazingly (nearly) dent-free nose!

Great find!
drool-drool

ofcdoug Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:34 am

very nice find in deed 8)

Foxx Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 am

i see by your gallery pics,.you have started to work on it.
just be careful,. as some parts are type 3,.. a bunch of parts are type 34 only.
i think the switch on the end of the blinker stalk is t3,. but the blinker stalk is type 34 only,. so be careful with it.
replacement parts are few in numbers. ;)

good luck with it

type241 Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:10 pm

The only thing I am doing is stripping all the extra wires back to OG. That pile of wires is not my doing that is my undoing. I have boxes full of German wires I have stripped from cars. I will fix the wiring with German wires from beetles, busses, etc. I think I found the correct relays in my stash.