TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ceramic brakes
mark tucker Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:25 pm

ok another one, I be tired of the brake dust on my bug wheels, worse than any car I have ever had. is there any good pads that dont do it so bad?or what car has these pads so we can put on ceramic pads? I have both type, with ebrake on rear(empie) and the ghia style empie for the front. and I cant imangine I an the only one that is tired of crudy wheels.and too effing lazy to polish them every week.

RockCrusher Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

"ceramic brakes"........yes, especially when you knock it on the floor. Hope your wife doesn't kill you. :)

Really, I don't know.

Islandman Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Negative knowledge on ceramic brakes but I have the same problem on another type of vehicle.

My solution was to use a wheel cleaning product by Meguires. This stuff leaves a film on the wheel that brake dust has a hard time sticking to. The dust just runs off with plain water after treatment and it last for about three washes.

flyinglow94 Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:20 pm

I have on my Fastback pads made by PBR also known as Repco. I think they are made in Australia but available here in the USA. They are a semi metallic pad and have very low if no dust. I have been running them for years on my first stock 66 Squareback , 81 911SC and my 97 540i. I Have always bought them at Bill and Steve's in Downey CA. Give them a call. I don't think they have them for the after market EMPI wide 5 stuff. Good luck.

danielsan Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name but my local german parts shop carries 3 different types of ceramic pads made for ghias. I would call around, No dust, stops on a dime, easy on rotors but they are noisier than semi metalics.

modok Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Huh, I had no idea other people had such problems
i bought some kinda brand name pads from Rocky mountain motorworks years ago and they are only 1/4 worn out now..........
At this rate my brakes will last 30 or 40 years LOL

EMPI PADS must be made of scat

torsionbar Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

try a different pad brand. most retailers sell mintex, which i'm not a fan of. dusty and not great pad life. the mintex usually sell for about $20.

If you spend a little more, you can get pagid made in germany pads for $30 which last longer and produce less dust.

i am not a fan of the axis / pbr metal masters, they're very dusty.

VWporscheGT3 Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 pm

EBC makes different compound pads, but you wont find them listed under type 3 , it would be listed under a Porsche 911 from 65 ... there front brakes were basically the same thing with a different bolt spacing and more material on one side of the caliper to clear the vented rotors instead of our little rotors. its been a while since i measured, but the retaining pin holes and the pad width was the same along with the same reliefs in necessary places.... they came in Red green , and i "think" (not certain) yellow stuff? the red i believe are the heavy duty ones and the dust is minimal .. a friend was running on his square with shiney empis and i never saw any dust.... his car as well as his own hygene left something to be desired... :lol:

-Trevor

Lo Cash John Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:55 pm

If anyone has part numbers post 'em up. I could use some cleaner pads on the front of my daily driver bug.

mark tucker Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 am

why am I the one to open the can??? and yes part# for what pade they are would be nice
and the maguires sounds nice it would last for a year or so!!!on my car,it's so ugly the soap jumps off of it.

jbbugs Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 am

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=134693

raygreenwood Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 am

I have used both carbon kevlar and ceramic composite pads. They have both come a long way in about 7 years.

I have not found one brand of aramid pads (not just from me using them but questioning a lot of other people)...that really works well for the street. Its fantastic stuff. Its very high temperature and agressive. But they really need to be hot...real hot....to work to their very best.

Now...5 years ago I tried several ceramic metallic that were out there. Great stopping, funky temperature changes....and a littel agressive to rotors.

All of that has changed. As then...it is now. You can find an even dozen pads to fit every vehicle...within the same brand. You need to speak to a brake parts supplier that understands the differences in the friction codes in the part #'s. You can get two brake pads the same brand...same exact appearance....with different friction material codes that have radically different characteristics.

The guy who runs ESP brake in Dallas TX used to work for Kelsey Hayes. Tell him what you want the pad to do and he can reccomend the friction code.
Esp Brake Warehouse
2810 Main Street
Dallas, TX 75226-1590
Phone:(214) 748-6386

Back to the ceramics. The ceramic metallics I recently put on my 2006 Jetta...are absolutely superb. Easy on the rotors, average dust,...and very noticable improvement in stopping distance. No kidding!
These were made by ATE.
Ray

fuguboy Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:28 am

Anyone tried the red EBC DP3105C pads ? Looking for a low dusting pad and better stopping. Thanks in advance for any info. 8)

Tobias Bylund Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 pm

I used EBC Redstuff´s on my mini cooper S, they were great, had good bite, even when cold, and virtually no dust. I know EBC gets a lot of flack on the mini cooper forums but i loved them.

fuguboy Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks for reply, I'm going to try the red stuff. I hope my wheels stays clean longer.