TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: M Code 133?
davetaylor Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 pm

I just picked up a '65 21 window and one of the m codes is 133 but I don't see a lot of information about what that actually means. Any input?

M plate

What it belongs to

Dash

Snoop Bob Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:37 am

You actually have a 66 model Deluxe built December 4th 65. Did you get a title with it?

davetaylor Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:49 am

It's been off the road since 85 but I Was around when my buddy picked this up in 93. We traded and haven't done titles yet but the bus is in my shop.

Other than the fact that it's 99% rust free it appears unremarkable. I just don't know what 133 means. Secret turbo? Ejector seat?

Snoop Bob Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 am

If you check the tech section of the m-codes (which you may have) no one else does either :lol: . Everett may want to add Deluxe to that option list as well. The bus does look remarkably straight and rust free from your pics. Hopefully not too much covered up with the body work. Good luck with a nice starting point.

davetaylor Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:15 am

Good thing is I saw it before all the bodywork began. There are a couple of bondo spots that cover waves but otherwise it's pretty well rust-free.

BarryL Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:19 am

Could it be a miss-stamp? Does it have the hinge plate for safaris?

davetaylor Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:31 am

I haven't had time to crawl all over it yet but no safaris that I can see and nothing else that stands out, really. I'm not a bus expert yet so there might be something I'm missing but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

DJ Pierre Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 am

133 could be a 2 tone horn.

360 is a mystery also. Should be a US package along with either the slider door option or front blinkers. But you don't have a slider and blinkers were standard on any post 1960 bus.

davetaylor Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 am

yeah, i saw something about the sliding door. and what do we mean by two tone horn? is it like the horns on newer vws that both blow at once?

i got the title yesterday and it's titled as a '65

Snoop Bob Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 am

DJ Pierre wrote: 133 could be a 2 tone horn.

360 is a mystery also. Should be a US package along with either the slider door option or front blinkers. But you don't have a slider and blinkers were standard on any post 1960 bus.

360 looks like it is related to front blinkers and overriders for his bus. His door/seat combo is related to another number set.

EverettB Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 am

360 is a package of options, typically related to the North American market, like overriders/red taillights/sealed beam headlight/etc.

133 is unknown but if you see anything unique, let me know...

With an export code of XF, I wonder if it was a Tourist Bus that was US. specifications but delivered to France originally?

davetaylor Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:51 am

All I know about its history so far is that it was in Kentucky since about '93 and Carbondale, IL before that at least as far back as '85.

I need to take some time after work to look for anything out of the ordinary.

SOCALBOMBER Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 am

My bus is a 65 standard tourist delivery, delivered to france and I ordered the birth certificate for it a few weeks ago. i got it today in the mail and sent Mr. barnes an email letting him know what 133 is. So he updated the number in the M-code section! Go check it out!

ducatis Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 am

Great m-code detective work.

I'm still working on the 360 code - I now believe this is one of those codes that have 'evolved'....

I am not even sure that anyone at VW even knows! The bus I looked at (also a 21) had some serious resto work done so could conceivably have had a slider replaced with traditional doors. I guess a lot easier to source these parts.

Does anyone know how many sliders were produced?