TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roof-top KdF Wagen in Lithuania Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Björn Schewe Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Interferece suppression - it says that the Electric System has some Protection against Electric Smog - like every Car of the Wehrmacht.

valentinesr Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Awesome find.. This is going to be a good read.. All the historical markings and findings are most definitely interesting and kickass.. Bravo fellas... Bravo..

Grant Reiling Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:21 pm

valentinesr wrote: Awesome find.. This is going to be a good read.. All the historical markings and findings are most definitely interesting and kickass.. Bravo fellas... Bravo..
X2!
...Looks like another "unmolested capesule" :lol:
Keep up the good work (and photo updates) :!: :idea: :arrow:

kdf38 Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am

Entstört
nach Gruppe 3

Bruce wrote: Undis wrote:
What does this say?

55reasons Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 pm

** edited out for the sake of:

"Oh my god. How much talk without sense."

delamaize Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:45 am

Literal translation their is sevral possiblities:
"Screened after group 3"
"Filtered by Group 3"
"Shielded by Group 3"

I get the impression it might be refering to some kind of filtering device, something like "Use only XXX filter"

usariemen Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 am

Oh my god. How much talk without sense.
"Entstört nach Gruppe 3" just means that the vehicle fullfills the lowest rate of radio distortion preventing. It can pass a radio unit in a distance of 30 meters without causing distortions.
"group 2" would mean it can pass in a distance of 15 to 20 meters and
"group 1" would mean it could even carry a radio unit without disturbing the radio activity.
It is just an electric protection class.

delamaize Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:53 am

usariemen wrote: Oh my god. How much talk without sense.
"Entstört nach Gruppe 3" just means that the vehicle fullfills the lowest rate of radio distortion preventing. It can pass a radio unit in a distance of 30 meters without causing distortions.
"group 1" would mean it could even carry a radio unit without disturbing the radio activity.

gotcha, so electronic interferance filter then......

kdf38 Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks Carsten,

I'm glad to finally learn more detailed information about that marking.

Mike Leach
Houston, Tx.

drscope Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:52 pm

I liked this story better when it was a Nazi war vehicle. But this makes sense too. You don't want the general's car to be giving off radio interference that could give away his position!!

usariemen Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:58 am

drscope wrote:
I liked this story better when it was a Nazi war vehicle.

It is a Nazi war vehicle anyway.

Blue Baron Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 am

There's a tendency to label the WW II German military "nazi" because that was the party in control, but generally speaking, the SS was the political wing and the rest was the German army/air force/navy. There was a separation, though that separation became more blurred toward the end of the war.

In other words, you could be a nazi in the army, but it wasn't nescessarily a nazi army.

GüteAndTite Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:19 pm

so whats the plan for this thing at this point? restoration?

fernandocez Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Nothing new?

volksfahrer Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:30 am

Blue Baron wrote: There's a tendency to label the WW II German military "nazi" because that was the party in control, but generally speaking, the SS was the political wing and the rest was the German army/air force/navy. There was a separation, though that separation became more blurred toward the end of the war.

In other words, you could be a nazi in the army, but it wasn't nescessarily a nazi army.

thanks Blue Baron...

type117 Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:13 am

It seems glass top fuel pumps have been used in those early years.
There is such a glass top fuel pump on a kübel with a early Schwimm (uncomplete) engine.

Difficult to see on this picture but I have no better picture of the pump.

Kapt. Q Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 am

I doubt that is the correct fuel pump in the kubel, the distributor cap, carb and air filter certainly isn't correct, (I have my doubts about the regulator, but I'm not an expert). Schwimm engines have double pulleys and belts and the coil on the back of the fan housing, I'm guessing it's not even a wartime engine (very common). There is no glass top fuel pump in either the kubel or schwimm parts list. A glass top fuel pump would make little sense in a hostile military enviroment.

splitjunkie Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:41 am

I have heard it stated that the early fuel pump top was the same as on other vehicles (US Jeep?) so it was easy to interchange. Don't know if this is true but I think it was discussed in the VW38 no.6 thread.

Shadd Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 am

I've heard that there were many parts on a the VW engine that were designed to be interchangeable with other models of the era. This makes sense in a wartime environment where access to parts might be scarce and cannibalization was common. That glass top fuel pump might have come from something else. Below is a pic of an American jeep fuel pump from WWII.

Tanoki Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Any news on this car??
Is it going to be restored?

Peace,
tanoki