TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Lou V. Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Here is a 54 barndoor deluxe that was hit in the passenger side rear and subsequently was cut up. I came across the pieces and could not pass them up. Is this bus fixable in this day and age? It has a 20- vin and # stamped in the bulk head. is it worth saving?

Z Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 pm

RockStock Sat May 07, 2011 3:21 am

ace!
i'm gonna go for yes

especially as both critical numbers are there
og paint & signwriting swings it too
as we all know there are much worse resto projects all around, using more green metal
just need the roof...& there are at least 3 bd dlx ones floating about

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319271

maybe UZIs dlx remains?

what's the VIN?
any pre-cut up pics around?
any more signwriting?

Rich's 50 Sat May 07, 2011 7:26 am

Honestly i think with money anything can be brought back...

Rick Sat May 07, 2011 9:04 am

You're starting out with more than lot's of people do, but it's going to require some deep pockets. I'm betting your question was answered as soon as the offers started coming in. How many have you had? :D

campingbox Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 am

Nice find Lou!

Did you get any more parts with it or was it just those body sections?

Lind Mon May 09, 2011 7:05 am

I think that I used to own part of that bus. it was not cut particularly well.

other pieces that showed up in the gallery:

Lou V. Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 am

Wow thats pretty cool, do you still have the pieces? Or know who has them now/ It would make some great yard art! :lol:

Lind Mon May 09, 2011 8:20 am

Lou V. wrote: Wow thats pretty cool, do you still have the pieces? Or know who has them now/ It would make some great yard art! :lol:
PM sent with last known locations.....

djfordmanjack Wed May 11, 2011 2:23 pm

holy s*$% ! Why would anybody cut up such a nice bus ? (from today's point of view ) Good luck in resto !

busben Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Does anyone out there know any more about this bus? where it was from, what the logos were from, where the rear of the roof ended up, etc, etc?

Lind Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 am

according to legend, it got cut up in the '80s and the parts were sold off at SOTO meets back then.

busben Thu May 12, 2011 3:18 pm

guess it wasn't worth saving back then. Any ideas on the logos or where it came from?

RockStock Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:10 am

Rebuild in progress in the UK (owner^)

busben Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Yep the rebuild is underway, but you haven't exactly got your finger on the pulse with this one Chris, as the rebuild actually started way back in 2011 :D

So ........... one weekend in May 2011 I was helping my Father-In-Law sort his internet out when I stumbled across this thread started by Lou. A Barndoor Deluxe is a pretty special bus and this looked like one that I could actually, just maybe, afford to buy and build! With this in mind I PM'd Lou to see if he'd consider selling the parts he had. He hit me back with "yes I'd consider selling for $X", I hit him back with a figure and a deal was done :D Cue one happy Englishman who now owned one cut-up old bus somewhere in America with no way of getting it home!

Now as luck would have it Lou is a proper Gent and helped me no end with figuring this thing out. He actually suggested buying an old bay window that he knew of for sale locally and packing these parts in it for the journey. A brilliant plan and before I knew it the bus(es) were on a ship and on their way to me.

Next on the scene is good friend and fellow bus enthusiast Paul Wisk who I was chatting to at a show when I spilt the beans and told him all about my new project. Paul is also a proper Gent and offered to go and collect the bus(es) for me from the port as I was trailer-less at the time. So a month or two later I headed to Pauls shop and we had a thoroughly great afternoon unpacking the bay and "assembling" my new Barndoor.

Just a couple of idiots having fun..................

busben Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Now whilst Lou was organising the bay and packing stuff up I'd been busy trying to track down other parts of this bus, with Lou and Lind being particularly helpful so many thanks again for that guys :wink:

I located the front roof cut:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/550618.jpg

but the owner didn't particularly want to sell it. It has since been sold but sadly I couldn't afford the price it went for so it's currently being used to help save a few other buses :cry:

I also found out about the centre chassis section:

Fairly crusty but dug out a few years ago by Mark who also posted the pics in the gallery. He found the lump in Angwin laying where the bus was cut up years ago. Anyone got any more info on how or why the bus ended up getting gas torched to pieces in Angwin?

Lastly I discovered that the original dash complete with OG paint and dealer sticker was hanging in a VW shop as a display item. A few emails later and the owner had agreed to sell it to me to reunite with the bus (Thanks again Todd), so this got sent to Lou's place and packed with the other parts :D

busben Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:23 pm

Now I think I mentioned before that Lou was a proper Gent :D One morning in June I was checking my mails before heading off to the airport for a cheap week in Spain when Lou sent me an email titled "you need this" with a link to an advert for this roof clip:

The ad had gone up late the night before and it was too early to contact the seller and my plane left early that morning :? I eventually got hold of Graham at FBI in Swansea just before we boarded the plane and told him I'd take it. He was worried that it was rusty and wanted me to come and see it first. "I'll take it Graham. As it is. Honestly. Please!". And so I became the owner of a '55 swage up roof clip in OG paint. Not a Barndoor but a Wolfsburg bus so all internal pressings, etc are identical with only the roof peak and rear hatch being different. Perfect for rebuilding this beast.

Next ................... to be honest I'm late for the pub so more later. Cheers :D

Posty Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Great story, looking forward to watching it unfold. Enjoy your pints

bally Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 am

Great thread Ben. I am looking forward to more updates
I really do love this sort of thread

Cheers. Dave

djfordmanjack Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 am

Ben, how come, that all of your stories don't even come as a surprise to me... :lol: you're one crazy bloke... :wink:
although that pic of the dash is actually raising my temperature somewhat... :shock:
so what does the bus look today ?
that rounded front part of the jig is sweet.