TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Empi Thing Exhaust Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
sam_w Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 am

I have been through four different muffler systems.
The Thingster came with a header and a bug pack, I replaced that with dual bugpack mufflers packed up on either side. I then got a pair of genuine 73 Thing mufflers at Kelley Park and they were great. I then went to the 2054 stroker and used and Empi glasspack, It was so noisy I went back to the dual bugpack either side, I am really happy with this but it makes valve adjustment tedious, I now want the valve adjusters that have allen sockets for adjustment.

The Empi system has easy access, and great ground clearance, but is just a bit noisy for me.



crofty Fri May 13, 2011 10:32 am

Keep an eye on that upper oil line

groop Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am

sam_w wrote: I have been through four different muffler systems.
The Thingster came with a header and a bug pack, I replaced that with dual bugpack mufflers packed up on either side. I then got a pair of genuine 73 Thing mufflers at Kelley Park and they were great. I then went to the 2054 stroker and used and Empi glasspack, It was so noisy I went back to the dual bugpack either side, I am really happy with this but it makes valve adjustment tedious, I now want the valve adjusters that have allen sockets for adjustment.

The Empi system has easy access, and great ground clearance, but is just a bit noisy for me.




I have a similar set-up on my 2016 (single 44 Weber IDF) and it's starting to rust badly, plus I hate doing valve adjustments. So I was thinking about the Empi system. Do you think it will choke the motor? Are there other exhausts that are recommended?

blakeck2 Sat May 14, 2011 9:51 am

I am on my second EMPI Thing exhaust, first one I ripped out of the block while offroading it so I wouldnt say the departure is that great with ground clearance. It is loud but not too bad.

Hooking Sat May 14, 2011 10:44 am

CraigInPA wrote: I'm a crotchy old guy who has enough difficulty hearing that a loud exhaust doesn't help.

Craig



your not alone !

THINGONER Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 pm

I have the Empi exhaust shown and was wondering if anyone has tried to re-route the heat riser tube on drivers side-in order to get better flow. If so where did you tap into the exhaust? Or anyone have a suggestion as to where to tap into exhaust (for outlet). Thanks

fmartin_gila Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 am

Recently I did the rerouting of the left side heat riser. I left the driverside as it was, blocked the hole in the pipe right at the passengerside flange. Then using 3/4 inch Electrical Conduit, brought it to the tailpipe after the muffler. This did create quite a bit of difference in the pressure at either end of the heatriser tube resulting in the engine running better, but since some of the one exhaust pulse was in fact unmuffled, it did create a different 'pop' in the exhaust. I went back to my S&S exhaust, even though I don't care for the mufflers being so close to the valve covers.

Fred

Bohdan Wed May 18, 2011 5:18 am

groop wrote: sam_w wrote: I have been through four different muffler systems.
The Thingster came with a header and a bug pack, I replaced that with dual bugpack mufflers packed up on either side. I then got a pair of genuine 73 Thing mufflers at Kelley Park and they were great. I then went to the 2054 stroker and used and Empi glasspack, It was so noisy I went back to the dual bugpack either side, I am really happy with this but it makes valve adjustment tedious, I now want the valve adjusters that have allen sockets for adjustment.

The Empi system has easy access, and great ground clearance, but is just a bit noisy for me.




I have a similar set-up on my 2016 (single 44 Weber IDF) and it's starting to rust badly, plus I hate doing valve adjustments. So I was thinking about the Empi system. Do you think it will choke the motor? Are there other exhausts that are recommended?

I noticed the middle picture had the original J-Tubes. Did these J-tubes have a tab welded on them to attach the bottom tins? Apparently, the new ceramic coated j-tubes don't have this option, nor do I know if this is the way they are suppose to be on exhausts without heater boxes. ANybody know?Thanks

THINGONER Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

My j tubes do not have any tabs. The ones I have seen do not.

Bohdan Fri May 20, 2011 5:11 am

I guess the previous owner did something different. Thanks

devvinzwick Fri May 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Sam W - What have you towed on that hitch of yours in the second picture? I want to add a hitch to tow my 15' Boston Whaler but adding a receiver down below the stock bumper gets into the stock exhaust I have.

sam_w Sat May 21, 2011 12:46 am

Well, I hate to say that I have never towed anything with the Thingster. But with my 2054 stroker motor and lots of bottom end torque, I would be happy to tow most anything.

Semper_Dad Sat May 21, 2011 6:19 am

devvinzwick wrote: Sam W - What have you towed on that hitch of yours in the second picture? I want to add a hitch to tow my 15' Boston Whaler but adding a receiver down below the stock bumper gets into the stock exhaust I have.

Doesn't sound like you have a stock system then.

If you are going to use a hitch then get one that attaches to the frame horens as well.


CraigInPA Sat May 21, 2011 6:46 am

devvinzwick wrote: Sam W - What have you towed on that hitch of yours in the second picture? I want to add a hitch to tow my 15' Boston Whaler but adding a receiver down below the stock bumper gets into the stock exhaust I have.

How much does a 15' boston whaler and a trailer weigh? My 74 has a limit of 1400 pounds for a trailer with its own brakes, and only 880 pounds for a brake-less trailer, according to the book. I suspect that's not due to the size of the engine, the gearing, or the fact that the spec is about towing by the bumper holes. It's probably due to the overall weight of the car. It's rather dangerous to tow things heavier and longer than the tow vehicle itself, unless the vehicle was specifically designed to tow that amount of weight and the trailer being towed is equipped with its own braking system. Imagine what happens when you put your foot down on the brake and try to stop quick. Instead of stopping your 2200 pound car, you're now trying to stop 2200 pounds plus 2000 (or more) pounds of boat and trailer. With the original drum brakes, you're not going to be stopping any time soon. Even with discs, it's still going to be a rather exciting event.

devvinzwick Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 am

Semper_Dad wrote: devvinzwick wrote: Sam W - What have you towed on that hitch of yours in the second picture? I want to add a hitch to tow my 15' Boston Whaler but adding a receiver down below the stock bumper gets into the stock exhaust I have.

Doesn't sound like you have a stock system then.

If you are going to use a hitch then get one that attaches to the frame horens as well.




That Hitch looks good. Who builds those? I am having my motor redone as a 1914, and doing the tuck back muffler? I cant remember the name right now, but it will be off to one side.
As far as the weight of the boat, I need to look into that, but it is not too much. Also the longest tow would be 10 minutes down the road to the launch ramp.

///Mink Fri May 27, 2011 9:31 am

When I bought my '73 it had that POS on it. I couldn't stand it, in my opinion it is obnoxiously loud. I immediately swapped it over for a stock system which I like a lot better.

I'm old.

yellow73kubel Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

devvinzwick wrote: That Hitch looks good. Who builds those? I am having my motor redone as a 1914, and doing the tuck back muffler? I cant remember the name right now, but it will be off to one side.
As far as the weight of the boat, I need to look into that, but it is not too much. Also the longest tow would be 10 minutes down the road to the launch ramp.

That is The Thing Shop's redesigned version of the original VWoA hitch. It is built to work with stock '73 and '74 exhaust systems, but no guarantees with header systems.

A 15' Whaler may be pushing the limits. I plan on building a hitch to tow our 16' Smoker Craft (very light aluminum boat) and 14' Hobie Holder, but wouldn't even think about it with a bulkier boat (which a Whaler might well be). If the load seriously affects your engine power, you can safely assume that it is too much for your brakes and/or chassis.

locky Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 pm

I have the Tri-Mill version of that exhaust. I have only ran it in the shop so far but I like the rumble. Sounds mean. As far as the hitch goes does anyone have any pictures of how it mounts to the frame horns. I am having troubles envisioning it from the picture above. Not sure if this a highjack. Sorry if it is.

Sidecar Sarge Fri May 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Still looking for anyone who has come up with a way to tone the Empi muffler down without having to replace it.

Tom

hank0306 Fri May 27, 2011 7:45 pm

anyone have a stock 74 muffler system? I have the empi, it's loud, but functional....Sam W, insulate that oil line from the heat. Mine burned through on the 210 freeway in la, thought I caught on fire the week after putting the new motor in, thanks to my oil pressure gauge I shut down before my engine dumped two quarts of oil...went to stainless to avoid future meltdowns...



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group