TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Moustache Bar Identification Page: 1, 2  Next
Zander Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

I searched the forums and also the gallery and I can't seem to find a picture of one like mine. Its going in my 68 and bolts right up to a case I am in the process of building and also lines up with the brackets on the body. I got the bar from a friend and it just looks different than all the 68-71 bars I can find on here. It appears to be original as all the welds are nice and appears to be all original paint. Anybody know what this thing is?

Thanks in advance
Ryan

busdaddy Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 pm

It's a 68 bus moustache bar, VW used 2 styles and that one's seen most on early models.

RatCamper Mon May 09, 2011 8:40 pm

busdaddy wrote: It's a 68 bus moustache bar, VW used 2 styles and that one's seen most on early models.

looks like the center section was carried over to later 1600s. That's interesting. Thanks Busdaddy.

Zander Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks, that's what i was looking for. Most of the ones I've seen are more "sheet metal" looking (for lack of a better term) and this one looks a lot more like the 1600 T2B moustache bar that i also have. The buddy I got the bar from used to own my bus so it very well could be the original one! Too funny.

Desertbusman Mon May 09, 2011 8:51 pm

It's not the most common style we see but it is an original stock engine mounting bar. Supposidly there is a 3rd style but have never seen one.
Yours is what I have on my bus. I greatly prefer it. The common one is like you say, a couple sheet metal shells welded together.

aeromech Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am

That's beautiful work there DBM. I'll bet that engine in the first pic had low compression :wink:

srfndoc Tue May 10, 2011 8:19 am

I have the more common style on mine. Seems like this one doesn't give you as much room for a full flow oil setup (I see your's DB but there doesn't seem to be as much room as the other setup). This style does seem more sturdy.

aeromech Tue May 10, 2011 9:22 am

From the looks of DBM's engine it seems to me like the one he's using actually has more room available for the full flow. Maybe that's why he used it?

srfndoc Tue May 10, 2011 9:58 am

Here is a pic with the early style mustache bar and a full flow adapter:

Here's the later style with a full flow setup.

Using the adapter would definitely be a pain with either, hard to say without having both in front of me if one provides more clearance. If the early style does I'd definitely look for one as it's a pretty tight squeeze for the bottom line on my setup.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the Earls blue hose and push-lok fittings, they work excellent.

aeromech Tue May 10, 2011 10:07 am

"BTW, thanks for the tip on the Earls blue hose and push-lok fittings, they work excellent"

I'm happy to hear that.

Desertbusman Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Ya' know, both style engine mounting bars when used with a fullflow pump cover are a real PITA. I've done both and neither are nice. There is no major (or minor) difference when doing the oil line fittings. And there is no real benefit either way with the exhaust clamps. Same amount of lack of clearance. However the bar with the heavy structural square tube gives a lot more open areas as compared to the one made of clam shells. It's just easier to work around and also keep clean.
Gary's blue hose is the real nice good stuff. I just replaced the common black hose with the blue on my bug. Much nicer to work with and a lot higher pressure and temperature ratings. Mine is Aeroquip FC3332-08 but would be the same as the Earls.
This pic shows a bit of how there is more general clearance with the smaller less common mounting bar.

Gary, if I ever have problems with the hoses I might change the routing like you recommended. :wink:

srfndoc Tue May 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback DB.

fig Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Can anyone post a pic of all the different engine hangers and their application?

sparkywig Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 am

I modified the moustache bar to clear my full flow pressure relief pump cover.

Hikelite Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 am

sparkywig wrote: img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/sparkywig/resto%20pics/engine/003_zps59f474d2.jpg[/img][/URL]

I'm looking at your mods and wondering how mine fits. You probably have a bigger oil pump fitting adapter(dunno the correct terminology)?

Where are your reverse lights?

sparkywig Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:01 pm

Hikelite wrote: sparkywig wrote: img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/sparkywig/resto%20pics/engine/003_zps59f474d2.jpg[/img][/URL]

I'm looking at your mods and wondering how mine fits. You probably have a bigger oil pump fitting adapter(dunno the correct terminology)?

Where are your reverse lights?

It's a pressure relief pump cover rather than a standard full flow cover.

http://www.csp-shop.de/shop/produkte/en/products_engine_oilsystem_oil_pumps_10343b.html

Reverse lights weren't factory fitted to UK buses.

pierrox Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Interesting thread. In the US, from 1972, the Type 1 engine disappeared from the line-up. But the upright engine remained available throughout Europe until the end of the Bay window bus! And it received some changes over the year, like a paper air filter and a new simpler support bar for the engine.

It hooks on the block using the same threaded holes but it's just a simple bar with two parts added for the bolts on the edge of the block.

Now this creates interesting problems when you want to install a full-flow.

On the pix above, it looks like the pump cover won't clear by a lot, but that's just the photo. If the pump cover output was 1/3 of an inch shorter it would work right away. Actually I was googling for a solution and saw photos of the CSP cover that would be good.

In fact, if I could chop the end of the EMPI cover, it would be possible to install it with that non-mustached bar:

I looked inside the cover and there's a thread all the way. Now the problem is that I don't know enough about NPT standards. The question is: is the female thread (inside the pump cover) conical? If it's a cone then I can't shorten it. Now, if it's not conical and it's just straight same diameter all the way, then grinding the output is the easiest solution. That would move the 45° brass insert to the right, clearing the bar just perfect.

Do you think I can grind the end of the cover output?
The idea would be to end up with the output lined with the left edge of the cover, like the CSP model.

aeromech Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 pm

NPT threads are conical. I'd get a better pump cover. Check out Gene Berg for theirs.

aeromech Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:56 pm

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=5_126_2741

aeromech Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:01 pm

The other thing is your pump cover appears to be aluminum. It should be cast iron. The gears are hard steel and ride up against the cover. When the cover wears it causes an internal leak which lowers your idle oil pressure.