TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 61 panel (and a 66 panel digout) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
karl h Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 am

all boltholes are ok on this one. first i removed the lip, because it was bent out of shape. the lip on the bus is very good, so i will leave it on the body and cut above of it. this way i have a chance to keep a good fit of the hatch

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:22 am

some more cutting on the passenger side

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 am

i have marked the corners to which hight the differnt replacement panles go. at last i have ordered the autocraft parts that are 28cm high, enough to go higher than the battery tray and let me cut way into good metal

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 am

also from autocraft come the rear sidepanels. i cut the body so that the joint will be hidden under the horizontal reinforcement. hope these arrive soon.

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:04 am

on the other project: i started cutting on the stupid elderberry bush that had lifted the front bumper so i cant open the drivers side door. the front tire holds air! thank god for the tube inside. keep your fingers crossed for the other three!

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:06 am

...and i convinced pop to fire up his cat

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:07 am

which resulted in much better access

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 am

the roof is in amazing shape short of the dent in the rear and a little rusthole above the drivers side door

Tempie Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:31 am

amazing work karl...
In belgium its also wet enough, so finding a rustfree one is almost unthinkable !!

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:36 am

lots of rain here too, and this one is very rusty on the bottom, but its restorable. i cant wait to see the inside, but i cant get in as of now. the drivers side door is locked by the elderberry bush, passenger side is blocked by firewood and the now acessible rear hatch is locked :( . gotta take out my key collection to try and open it this weekend

Andy P Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 am

You're making out like a bandit, Karl.
Great work. :D
And for the record, it's raining here in Australia as well. :|
Austria.....Australia.....is there something in that?? :lol:

karl h Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 am

thanx andy
well the normal explanation is that australias name comes from "terra australis" (latin for southern land) a term first used by claudius ptolemaus (a greek geographic scientist of the second century). there is another explanation discussed that Pedro Fernández de Quirós upon discovering the new hebrides 1606 thought he had found the elusive southern continent and named it austria-alia (the other austria). he, as a spaniard was under the rule of the casa de austria (house of austria, also known as the habsburgs), one of the then most important royal houses of europe. they are named after the small strip of land along the danube known as "austria" (first mentioned in 1147) or "ostarichi" in german (first mentioned in 976) that they ruled since the mid 13th century.

karl h Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:03 am

autocraft sheetmetal is here!

karl h Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:05 am

love the corners with the roled edges! when i compare these to the wobbly POS i used last time.....

karl h Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 am

if they fit as good as they look, they are worth every penny!

Andy P Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:45 am

Loving those panels, Karl.

BTW, Oz gained its name because George Bass, a famous explorer, was Austrian and he liked the name and that is reminded him of his homeland.

karl h Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 am

didnt know that, andy
seems like i have a lot of sheetmetal to work with, i´m only missing the cargo floor and the doglegs. i want to try and make the outriggers myself with my bending machine

karl h Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:29 am

on the archeology site: i managed to get the pipe off the roof and suspend it. only dents on the roof, nothing rusted through

karl h Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 am

no luck with the key collection, couldnt open it. so i cut out the rear window and pulled out wood until i was able to open the hatch with a screwdriver from the inside.

Tempie Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:06 am

still looks like a very decent bus !!
Probably a lot of spiders/animals in the bus, regarding the amount of firewood?