TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Operation X Volksrod Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
VOLKSWAGNUT Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 am

New VW project in the works for me the next year. It wlll be called "Operation X".
I aquired a running 65 Corvair 4 carb 140 engine a few years ago. It is all ready reverse rotation, lumpy cam'd, with the VW transaxle adapter, and flywheel, so it's just waiting on me. I have a decent "early" 67 Beetle body soon to be placed on a 65 pan, and it's to be as light as possible. SHHHHHH dont tell the 67 purist. =; A "sleeper" version.....somewhat. I am building this on a very VERY low budget, with parts left over from junkers and other projects, so big money parts is only as a neccesity. "One piece at a time". Hey that might make a good song. :lol:

I know I will be stressing the transaxle, and have been told it should be fine as long as I dont "dump the clutch" or try a "burn out". I know myself and my history with Hot Rods....sooooo that's probably in the future. I dont want to be pulling the transaxle after every run or drive.

What should I consider installing in a Beetle transaxle to help the extra stress.
My guess would be a stonger differential carrier is a must. Is there anything else to consder to be on the top of the list.
I dont plan to abuse this, but it will see an occasional blast down the strip.

Mooosman Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 am

How long is the Corvair engine from end to end? It's probably too long for the beetle engine bay... :?

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun May 29, 2011 8:06 am

Its tight and yes it will require mods and cuts to the body sheet metal, but it fits. I may have to move the oil filter, and of course adjust the apron to fit. Probably build a custom apron, and maybe use some stand offs. I'll judge that once it's fully in place. I'm NOT going for a stock looking Beetle anyway. I NEVER do.

I'm going for a nostalgic look and sound with an interseting powertrain that was popular in the era of the car. Good conversation piece at events I really could care less about engine bay aesthetics. :?

miniman82 Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 am

My 1915 makes more power than a 4-carb Corvair does, I wouldn't worry about the trans.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun May 29, 2011 8:17 am

Really? Do you run a stock swing axle transaxle and occasionally abuse it off the line?
Consider the Corvair engine is heavier....longer... and has a displacement of 2.7L. Good torque down low.

I love VW's and really would rather have a large displacement VW engine...but again it's a very low budget, using what I got in stock at no extra cost.
The Corvair engine looks and sounds pissed off just sitting on the ground. :twisted: I gotta use it, just because you dont see that conversion much anymore.

MinamiKotaro Sun May 29, 2011 8:41 am

Dad's got a 4-carb 140 Corvair in his '72 Super. Had to eliminate the rear apron and it still sticks out pretty far.

At least get a 4-spider diff for your trans. A stock 1600 can waste a stock diff after a couple of hard launches.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 am

MinamiKotaro wrote: At least get a 4-spider diff for your trans. A stock 1600 can waste a stock diff after a couple of hard launches.

Yep my thoughts exactly.

volken65 Sun May 29, 2011 10:20 am

You should get a modified generator mount for remote oil filter system. That'll help fit it under the hood better.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun May 29, 2011 10:34 am

By the measurements the Generator is not an issue under the lid. (I may be wrong). It may be close. If I have to ad stand offs I will as a last resort. I will cut the upper portions out of the apron leaving only enough area to catch the edge and lower tear drop of the 66 louvered decklid I am using. The oil filter will most likely interfere with the apron, so I may change it to a remote. Time will tell.
I am not concerned at all about fitting. I can make it work. It will be a few months before I can actually start wrenching on it. Ill update and keep this going a long the way. I wanted to hear the thoughts on the transaxle mainly.

miniman82 Sun May 29, 2011 11:04 am

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: Really? Do you run a stock swing axle transaxle and occasionally abuse it off the line?

Yes, and I abuse it off every line. 8)

OLD VW NUT Sun May 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Years ago someone made an engine cover for that conversion. It was called the Bustle-Bomb IIRC. You might try running an ad in the classifieds and see if anyone comes up with one for your car.

I love the old Corvairs nearly as much as I love the ACVWs. I had a few of them - my favorite was a 65 with the 140 motor. It was fast! Don't be too tempted to change out the 4 carbs for something centered like the 390 4 barrel Holley. Not that it doesn't work great but if you live in an area where it gets cold and rainy you'll have carb icing. There is no way to get heat into the manifold other than routing air off the motor to heat the air intake - not the best solution. There is a way to mount a pair of 3 throat Weber carbs on the Corvair motor if you are willing to hack the intake manifold up but thats part of the head - screw that up and you scrap an expensive head.

Here's an article about the Crown conversion:

http://www.beachbuggyclub.com/article.php?article_id=5

vaughn bros. Sun May 29, 2011 6:50 pm

vugbug68 Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 pm

they make an adapter to run dual webers on a 140 vair motor, I was very tempted to that on my homegirls covair engine i just built. She has a 66 4 door vair :D but decided she would get into trouble with that much power, so i put 110 heads on a 140 block with stock dual carbs and called it good. runs great but i can only imagine what the 140 heads with 44 webers would have done... it already has a corsa 4- speed tranny

OLD VW NUT Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm

The 140 motor was identical to the 110 motor - same cam etc - just add the 140 heads and you have a 140. Both are 164 cubic inch. The 140 heads added the two secondary carbs plus the larger valves for another 30 hp.

miniman82 Sun May 29, 2011 7:43 pm

PG equipped cars had a different camshaft, giving slightly more HP. Swap a PG cam into a stick, instant upgrade! Course if you're gonna change the cam, why not spring for an Isky 280 right?

I redid my 180 turbo motor a year or so back, did bearings, Isky turbo grind cam, new springs, new turbo, open exhaust and a crank trigger ignition. With a stock carb it was way faster than guys with q-jets, though the q-jet may be another bone of contention...

BugMan114 Sun May 29, 2011 8:09 pm

I've done plenty of burnouts on my stock tranny with my stroker motor, and several hard launches, and i haven't had any problems yet. Not sayin its going to last forever, but at the same time, stock tranny's are a lot stronger then most people give them credit for. I do run solid mounts, which seems to eliminate damaging wheel hop (no

In my opinion, if you are going to drive it daily, with the occasional burnout, or hard launch, i'd say a stock tranny will do for a while, especially if your on a budget, like 99% of the people on this site (not like the 1% who tell you to just order a $4K rancho trans, lol) :lol:

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon May 30, 2011 7:03 am

As far as the cam.. I know its not original as it's reverse rotated, and judging by the overlap at idle, its a lumpy grind.

I was actually fortunate to talk to the wife of the engine/car bulider. She knew quite a bit, and said her husband (now deceased) had built it from scratch. She knew about it being reversed, with a mild cam grind as well as a fast powerplant for the Dune Buggy I had purchased. She said in the 70's it was the fastest Buggy in her area.

Budget yes low budget.
The most I'd probably go for is a super diff, but I may just wait to see how long a stock one lasts. Like I said I have plenty of swing axles.
Solid mounts will be a definite, plus an added support at the rear to hold that flat 6 monster in place.

VWporscheGT3 Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 am

be prepared to flip the ring gear on the diff. my dad had a turbo vair with a foot and a half cut out the middle and welded back together. he said the car liked to snap stub axles. and in true 70's fashion it had a dragon painted on the hood with flames going down the nose and around the sides... and on the back painted in gold leaf was "the nothing" thats as close to volkswagens as my dad ever got.... lol

-Trevor

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 am

Once again for the nose bleed seats. :lol:

My engine is converted to reverse rotation.
No ring gear flip is required.
It spins the same diection as a VW engine now.

VWporscheGT3 Mon May 30, 2011 9:26 am

dont get your panties in a twist :lol: not everyone is as keenly attentive as you are :roll: