TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rebuilding a barn beetle - '57 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
rustbus Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:39 am

Getting somewhere

Rebuilt Brakes, steering, link pins, King pins, axle boots....

Needs:
Keys to match ignition (how?)
Turn signal lever
Bullet turn signal assemblies
Engine rebuild haha
Wiper arms and blades

And some new tires. Should be ready soon, just need to t. Sort out the engine... Rebuild or replace

rustbus Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:02 pm

Can anyone help me identify the key code that goes with the door handle? Is there a key code on the deck lid lock as well?

Is this the code for the ignition?

sunroof Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Yes, SG185 is your key code.

Don

rustbus Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:20 pm

sunroof wrote: Yes, SG185 is your key code.

Don

Had a key cut locally just by bringing in the ignition, not too expensive at all. Sadly doesn't seem to match the door or decklid

rustbus Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:23 pm

Ok so tires coming tomorrow, then it just needs inspection, insurance, registration, and a clear path to get it out of the back end of the shop.

We got lucky and a local was selling 1956 36hp engines that had been in service as fire pump power plants in Germany. He's had a few shipped over. While kinda expensive, this thing fired right up and runs like a sewing machine. It's a beautiful engine really.

Hope to be on the road in a week

rustbus Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:24 pm

Oh yeah the hood color is funny, it was hail damaged and bondo'd over in the past so we cleaned it up and the color you see is actually just the self etching primer I had sitting around, not a bad color match hey hahaha

Riff Raff Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:34 pm

Nice to see another oval out of captivity in Alberta.
Gotta find yourself a W decklid and you're golden.

I hope to be not too far behind you in getting another one out of the shop and on the road.

Pretty easy to match your door lock and decklid lock to your ignition key.
Pull the locks, shuffle and file the wafers to match the key and you're done.

rustbus Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 pm

I do have a W deck lid for it, but it needs work and isn't the right color

But we'll set it aside, in the event this car ever goes in for a repaint.

It's obvious some 70% of this car has been repainted in the past, and probably was rear ended as well resulting in the rear apron being welded on a little askew and the incorrect deck lid.

We're just going to enjoy it for what it is, probably will never get a full restoration.