TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: can't figure it out w/ steering
puttin slow Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:11 pm

i have a 63 with new tie rods and ends, new link pins, and new trw steering box. Ive lifted it at work and checked everything, pitmann arm, tie rod ends, coupler to steering box. I have 4 to 5 inches of play in the steering wheel. I know the screw on top of the box wont get rid of the play so i tried adjusting the large adjuster with a bolt head and it didnt really do much. My manual sucks pretty bad and is really shady on instructions. Am I doing something wrong? What is the correct way to adjust the box to get rid of this play? I love driving my car but this is a safety issue. Thanks in advance.

glutamodo Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Check the pinch bolts that connect the steering coupler disk to the steering column and to the steering box. If you don't have them tight enough, they'll slip and you'll get play.

puttin slow Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 pm

already triple checked them. That was actually slipping a couple weeks ago but i got it situated. when i had it on the lift i was turning the steering shaft and watching the lower shaft and pitman arm take a second before moving. its clearly in the box

drscope Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 am

Did you feel that amount of play in the box before it was installed?

puttin slow Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:53 pm

i didnt even really check it. i figured whatever its new. Now im learning the hard way

antisocialred Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Did you make sure your pitman arm is set to the correct torque spec? After replacing my steering box I had tons of play and started messing with the adjuster screw. I was going crazy trying to get the play out but nothing would work. I finally remembered that I had just tightened it with the ratchet. After setting to the correct torque the play disapeared but left steering too tight due to all of the screwing with the adjuster.

TastyTuner Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:05 pm

im having the same problem on my 66 (bj beam).

someone said to torque them the pinch bolt...happen to know the torque spec? and where is this adjustment screw. i just bolted it in place when i freshened to whole front end and expected it to be just fine

antisocialred Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:32 pm

The pitman arm nut should be 72ft.lbs.

TastyTuner Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:45 pm

thank you. ill tighten it up and see if that takes care of it

drscope Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm

puttin slow wrote: i didnt even really check it. i figured whatever its new. Now im learning the hard way

I was just trying to see if it was like that before being installed or if it started after.