TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My new 1971 Safari Page: 1, 2  Next
jeremyrockjock Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I am now the new owner of a 71 Safari (Thing). It is in fair shape but has a few issues. One thing that is confusing is trying to figure out the original color. After sanding through the many many layers of paint the upper outer part of the dash is and olive color while the inside is a beige color. Does anyone know if here was a two tone model is 71?

Here are some pictures of it the day I got it.

Semper_Dad Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Congrats and welcome to this side of the form. Judging from some of the pictures in your gallery this will be a walk in the park. Where did you find a 71? Is it a Mexico or a German built 181?

I don't know of any two-tone configurations coming from the factory but once it left the factory anything can (and did) happen.

Some other questions.
Does it have swing/RGBs or IRS axles?
Still have a gas heater in the trunk?

oasis Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm

I saw it in the classifieds ... I was wondering about the origin of the taillights.

jeremyrockjock Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:43 am

It is from Mexico. The previous owner bought and drove it from Mexico in 2003. He went throught the pains of getting it legal in the US. It has the reduction boxes but no gas heater. I have a heater that will be going in it. The front and rear has been hit in its distant past and I a currently fixing that. I have a rear clip that will be going in the rear because the body work is just too bad. The rollcage and bumpers are made from exhaust pipe and will be removed. The floor pans are not bad at all. It has the rare rack hartop. The seat uphostery was redone with some unflattering material but that will work for now. The taillights are tralier lights someone installed and have already been removed. My plan for now is to finish going through the mechanicals and drive it while I scrape the 7 layers of paint off and spray bomb it with a flat light olive. It still has the 15" wheels but one has a nasty rust hole in it which I will try to fix. it is pretty cool being so different from the 73-74 Things that are at all the shows. I am digging it.

el_safari Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:26 am

Congrats for your buy .
I have also a 1971 but military model .
I don't think that they came in two tone paint .
The 15'' wheels came from the type 2 till 1963 .
:wink:

jeremyrockjock Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 am

Are they the same wheels? Same offset and all?

el_safari Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:34 am

Yes

joescoolcustoms Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:54 am

I thought of buying it for the top and then selling the car.

Nice ride to re-do.

[email protected] Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 am

never seen a hardtop like that, looks like a built in luggage rack...
Fiberjet>?

Semper_Dad Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 pm

[email protected] wrote: never seen a hardtop like that, looks like a built in luggage rack...
Fiberjet>?

I understand it a VWoM part. There's been a few references about it recently.

Doc*181 Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Looks like it has the fenders for small indicators but with (later) large indicators mounted on them?

[email protected] Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Pretty sure thats a fiberjet.
see how they poked a hole for the top frame clips.
That usually indicates a non VW hardtop
also it doesnt have the aluminum runners either.
Sometimes there is a tag on the back above or below the window outside

jeremyrockjock Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Doc*181 wrote: Looks like it has the fenders for small indicators but with (later) large indicators mounted on them?

Yep. I will be using the correct small indicators.

blakeck2 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 pm

My girlfriend thing has the same style top, dont think its VW but looks almost identical but lacks the side supports and rear also its much thinner.

jeremyrockjock Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:28 am

It has one rear drum with 12mm lugs and the other is 14mm so I am thinking the 14mm one is a bus drum.

el_safari Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:29 pm

exact

Van-go108 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 pm

blakeck2 wrote: My girlfriend thing has the same style top, dont think its VW but looks almost identical but lacks the side supports and rear also its much thinner.
Pix of that top? I don't believe it's a Fiberjet top but rather VWOM. Much more rare. :lol:
Actually, I don't really know but, Fiberjet usually is sans-ridges on the top. Smooth....

I've been blocking out a simalar top and it is/was a bit poor in craftsmanship. I plan on altering the !@#$% out of mine to suit my needs. A crap load of stuff being able to ride up there is important to me. Screw the "Collector" value. 8)

[email protected] Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Later fiberjets had ridges I have seen many and own a Fiberjet with ridges
None of the VW of America ones have that funny looking abuttment this one has.. unless it was altered after.

jeremyrockjock Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Here is one in the classifieds.

So are there drums availible for the swing axle things? 12mm lugs?

j.pickens Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Congrats, Jeremy.
Are the reduction boxes small nut?