TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another TDI Vanagon hits the road Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Tristar Eric Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Just finished another TDI conversion for a guy in California. It's an 02 ALH out of a Jetta.

Transmission has the .114 and .70 2800 RPM's at 65, 3000 at 70 mph.

carterzest Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Very nice Eric. Nice to see a peek at the Unimog too 8) Had to raise the hatch up a bit I see.

Escorial Syncro Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Looks cool. What size tires are you running? How are the shifting gaps with that gearing? I'm considering this gearing for my project, but mine's a syncro. However I don't plan on crazy big tires, probably 215/75/15's. So I'm all curious how this one "feels." Thanks, Joel

Tristar Eric Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Yep, the hatch on a 2wd needs to be about 3" higher. The tires on this one are 20". I think it's the same overall dimensions.

1st and 2nd are stock, if you run the rpm's to 3k, it's down to 2K for the next gear. Well within the powerband. The TDI's are super torquey down low.

Vanagon Nut Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Tristar Eric wrote: Yep, the hatch on a 2wd needs to be about 3" higher. The tires on this one are 20". I think it's the same overall dimensions.

15* mount?

IIRC, I had read of a diesel mounted @ 22*. If this swap is @ 22*, does this mount angle put the valve much lower than 15* mount?

Nice work man!

Neil.

Tristar Eric Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:19 pm

15 degree, using the VW bellhousing from Mexico, no adapter!

It's all VW, and using a stock pressure plate and clutch.

The oil pan is Passat.

Plenty of ground clearance.

Vanagon Nut Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:01 am

Hey Eric.

Was thinking of making a carrier similar to that as a solution to my ground clearance loss (correct me if I'm wrong); bars fore/aft between stock DV mount points, cutaway pan, cross member. Great to see pics of it done. Particularly the p-side fore/aft piece. Figured one could do "straight" lines even if AC compressor in place. Nice that you made the cross member removable. (and why wouldn't one?)

Is there much room between accessory belt for AC and P-side fore/aft piece on carrier? Maybe 1.5" ?

How is the muffler mounted to engine?

For lack of a better description, are the engine mount brackets in the Fox position? ~ mid block?

Ok. Enough questions..... for now. ;)

Great to see it all in action. Thanks.

Neil.

jabba Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:15 am

Hello,
Tristar Eric wrote: 15 degree, using the VW bellhousing from Mexico, no adapter!
From Mexico? What do you mean? From which car does it come from?
Tristar Eric wrote:
Stock from the tdi or stock from the vanagon and then which diameter?
I'm using a pressure plate from a vr6 (Sachs) and a Disc from a vanagon wbx (Sachs), all in 228 mm and it works really well.

purplepeopleeater Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:42 am

Nice, my next van will be a syncro with a TDI.

Jon_slider Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 am

8)

Bman Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:09 am

Thats pretty awesome.

Forgive me if this is common knowledge or if you have covered it already, but this is a diesel engine, right? What is the HP of the engine and what do you expect for gas mileage? And when you give the specs on the tranny are you talking essentially larger gears?

I bet it would fit in a DoKa real nice.

ALIKA T3 Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 am

jabba wrote: Hello,
Tristar Eric wrote: 15 degree, using the VW bellhousing from Mexico, no adapter!
From Mexico? What do you mean? From which car does it come from?
Tristar Eric wrote:
Stock from the tdi or stock from the vanagon and then which diameter?
I'm using a pressure plate from a vr6 (Sachs) and a Disc from a vanagon wbx (Sachs), all in 228 mm and it works really well.

I would guess that's the same bellhousing Eurospec is using in their kit.

The only car I would think it's coming from would be one using a transaxle transmission,so that'd be a bus,so maybe the new bay windows with a watercooled engine,like the Polo 1.8 engine?Then the mating to a 4 inline VW engine would be standard.....

D Clymer Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:46 am

jabba wrote: From Mexico? What do you mean? From which car does it come from?

The bellhousing is from the watercooled bay window vans they produced and sold in Mexico from 1987 through about 1995. These vans had 1.8 liter Golf engines mounted upright in them.

Nice work, Eric! As always :)

David

Tristar Eric Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 pm

David is correct, it's the Mexi bay window bellhousing that uses the 1.8 watercooled emgine. They mount at 15 degrees.

The actual block brackets are my own design. I had them water jetted from 1/2" plate steel. I use these on the Syncro TDI conversions as well.
They place the mounts nice and high so you can add a skid plate.

I make the center truss / crossmember removeable to make it easier to remove.

The exhaust is suspended from the factory TDI motor mount bracket. I'll try and get you a pic. I'm building another one at the moment.

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:15 pm

If you remove the air intake plumbing, what are the interference points on the 15 degree TDI install that necessitate a raised deck?

Vanagon Nut Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Tristar Eric wrote:

The actual block brackets are my own design. I had them water jetted from 1/2" plate steel. I use these on the Syncro TDI conversions as well.
They place the mounts nice and high so you can add a skid plate.

I make the center truss / crossmember removeable to make it easier to remove.

The exhaust is suspended from the factory TDI motor mount bracket. I'll try and get you a pic. I'm building another one at the moment.

Thanks much Eric!

MB hydro mounts?

Neil.

ALIKA T3 Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm glad I figured it out too

insyncro Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 am

Nice work Eric!
I didn't know about that bellhousing.
Makes for a very clean install.
=D> =D> =D> =D>

dylan

ALIKA T3 Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:10 am

insyncro wrote: Nice work Eric!
I didn't know about that bellhousing.
Makes for a very clean install.
=D> =D> =D> =D>

dylan
http://eurospecsport.com/products/Vanagon/Vanagon%20Page.html

jabba Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I thought the last bays were made in Brazil. For me, Mexico was the place for the last beetles.
Few month ago i've seen a Danburry (from GB) in a Campsite. I've read a few about those wonderfull baywindows and seen their engine, but don't ask myself about the way they are fixed with the gearbox. :oops: