TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another TDI Vanagon hits the road Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
D Clymer Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 pm

jabba wrote: I thought the last bays were made in Brazil. For me, Mexico was the place for the last beetles.
Few month ago i've seen a Danburry (from GB) in a Campsite. I've read a few about those wonderfull baywindows and seen their engine, but don't ask myself about the way they are fixed with the gearbox. :oops:

They still build the bay in Brazil to this very day. Mexico production ended in the late 1990s, but from 1987 through the end of Mexican production the vans had water cooled EA 827 1.8 liter motors in them. The Brazilian vans eventually switched to water-cooling but they went with a 1.4 liter flex fuel Polo series engine. They use the early Type 1 style gearbox too, so no special 091 bellhousing on these.

D

mikedelgado Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 pm

D Clymer wrote: jabba wrote: I thought the last bays were made in Brazil. For me, Mexico was the place for the last beetles.
Few month ago i've seen a Danburry (from GB) in a Campsite. I've read a few about those wonderfull baywindows and seen their engine, but don't ask myself about the way they are fixed with the gearbox. :oops:

They still build the bay in Brazil to this very day. Mexico production ended in the late 1990s, but from 1987 through the end of Mexican production the vans had water cooled EA 827 1.8 liter motors in them. The Brazilian vans eventually switched to water-cooling but they went with a 1.4 liter flex fuel Polo series engine. They use the early Type 1 style gearbox too, so no special 091 bellhousing on these.

D

Yep and the last of the Water cooled Mexican Bays had everything but the drivetrain produced in Brazil and the the 1.8 was put in in Mexico. The last year of these was ~2001 then shortly there after that the Brazilian 1.4 flex fuel bays were completely made in Brazil and are still produced there as of 2011. Here is a picture of a Mexican/Brazilian Bay 2001 with 1.8 water cooled inline 4.

[/img]

balzac Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm

How do you gear Syncros with that engine?

Tristar Eric Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Here's some more pics of the next TDI conversion. Almost done with this one!

This is the box I make for the intercooler. I re-route the A/C wiring and hose through the firewall.

Rear view, so you can see how high the inline TDI engine sits in a 2WD westy. They sit nearly flush on a Syncro.

Top view, not finished yet...

Underside with exhaust complete, and all plumbed to the IC.

The Intercooler box, all gooped up with sealant.

The IC exit.

Pusher fan mounted on top of intercooler. It draws fresh air from the pillar.

Pedal assy, mounted with my custom bracket. It uses the factory pedal holes in the floor for attachment.

Enjoy!

Zentaka Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Drewelll!

Damn that looks fun. I! don't know if I could fit my big clumsy hands in it! I can barely work on mine and it looks empty in comparison! Props for your skills, very admirable!

Vanagon Nut Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Great to get a general idea on engine height differences between 2wd and Syncro. Useful to see how high it pokes up on 2wd.

Obviously it all works and is proven, but I find it interesting that the IC flexible elbows being close to exhaust heat isn't a problem.

Neat IC housing and exit setup! Great to see more details on engine carrier. Thanks!

Neil.

westyventures Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:23 pm

A few comments/questions:

1) Syncro and 2WD bodies are exactly the same height in the engine compartment, in case a few folks who commented weren't aware. Just that in a Syncro normally the drivetrain is mounted 1.5-2" lower to lessen the CV angle.
2) I'm curious if you have any plans to install converters on these conversions to make then truly as clean as they were in the cars the engine came from?
3) Would it be possible to rotate the compressor housing around to shorten the intercooler pipe routing and lessens the number of bends? (possibly no room to rotate far enough?)
4) Engine mount bars - wouldn't a single side-to-side engine support (similar to the 5-cylinder's engine support) be easier to build and simpler?

SyncroGhia Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:05 am

A very neat and well though out install.

Very nice.

MG

jackbombay Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:59 am

westyventures wrote:
2) I'm curious if you have any plans to install converters on these conversions to make then truly as clean as they were in the cars the engine came from?

Putting a diesel specific cat on my TDI (which had no cat or muffler previously) made a massive difference in noise, a greater reduction in noise than most mufflers I'm betting and it got rid of the "sharp" diesel odor in the exhaust, and the cat is smaller than a muffler, and it cost about the same amount. I did miss the extremely audible turbo whistle a bit, but it really was so much nicer with %80 less exhaust noise.

I would also like everyone to know that contrary to the teachings of redneck folklore the cat had absolutely no effect on power or economy.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like magnaflow makes the smaller size diesel cats anymore :-/

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Section/Catalytic-Converters/?keyword=magnaflow+diesel+cat

westyventures Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:21 pm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94005D/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94006D/

jackbombay Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:22 pm

westyventures wrote: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-93005D/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94006D/

Good to see they are still available, I wonder why the summit search I ran didn't bring up the smaller sizes? I used the 2.5" diesel cat, fwiw.

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:59 pm

jackbombay wrote:

I would also like everyone to know that contrary to the teachings of redneck folklore the cat had absolutely no effect on power or economy.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like magnaflow makes the smaller size diesel cats anymore :-/

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Section/Catalytic-Converters/?keyword=magnaflow+diesel+cat

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a diesel cat for quite some time. Some time ago I "cored" the stock cat on my MB in the errant belief that it was causing some performance issues due to clogging or whatnot. It made no difference, except that the exhaust was louder. I'd like to add one to my mTDI install.

jackbombay Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: jackbombay wrote:

Thanks for the link.

Karl posted up the ones you want, somehow he was able to find the smaller sized diesel cats where my search only brought back 3.5" diameter and larger cats.

I actually had my cat sitting in my shed for almost a year before I installed it, I installed it and asked my wife to come check out the van, and she was blown away, "What did you do to ti?!?!?" and I told her I just installed the cat that was in the shed for a year at which point she was a little miffed I hadn't installed it when I first got it as the van was just so much nicer/quieter to be in with the cat...

AndyBees Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Wow! Nice project/work as well as great follow-up posts and information.

Here is my project ........20 pages so far (lots of photos)! My project is also an '02 ALH TDI! http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

Tristar Eric Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Quote: 1) Syncro and 2WD bodies are exactly the same height in the engine compartment, in case a few folks who commented weren't aware. Just that in a Syncro normally the drivetrain is mounted 1.5-2" lower to lessen the CV angle.
3) Would it be possible to rotate the compressor housing around to shorten the intercooler pipe routing and lessens the number of bends? (possibly no room to rotate far enough?)
4) Engine mount bars - wouldn't a single side-to-side engine support (similar to the 5-cylinder's engine support) be easier to build and simpler?

1. You are correct.
2. I could, but I'm about simplicity and less weight. My exhausts are short and mount to the engine. I really enjoy the sound of the vnt!
3.Yes, it is possible. I have not tried it yet.
4.side to side mounts require the motor mounts to be mouted sideways, not front to back. My block mounts are 2" higher than the eurospec versions which gives me way more clearance.

Tristar Eric Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Here's the engine cover. 3.5" high, moves the lid over to the right.

Still have use of the cubby under the side cabinet.

Extra storage compartment in front. It will have a removable cover.

jackbombay Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Tristar Eric wrote:
2. I could, but I'm about simplicity and less weight.

I bet a cat weighs less than the mufler and cuts as much if not more noise. $.02

Jedi Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Great job Eric =D> =D> =D>

jabba Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:31 am

Wonderfull, but what about the bed upon the engine? :(

Tristar Eric Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:43 am

Here's the final shots of the Westy TDI all done. Man does this thig haul! effortlessly cruises at 70mph @ 3000 rpm.

This is my design for the rear hatch storage.

Subaru conversion next!