TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another TDI Vanagon hits the road Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Tristar Eric Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Friend / customer He should have it at Syncrofest, you need to see this truck in person, It's CLEAN!

VWhead Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Very nice Eric !
I'm very glad to see those ALH motors put to a good use.

trailnewt Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:44 am

Beautiful work Eric! Which hydraulic motor mounts are those?
Brent

Jon_slider Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 am

> Greaseworks seems cool but expensive. Any other shop doing this in CA?

Yes, Detlev does, he also drives a TDi himself.
DETLEV HANSCHKE INTERNATIONAL SMOG
456 FRANKLIN LN
LIVERMORE, CA 94551-9704
925-980-7815

I also have a TDi in California. I converted a gasser. My motor is 1996, and is exempt of smog tests. 1998 motors are not exempt.. I did not have to go to a referee, I had to find a knowledgeable DMV person. PM me if you need help with Cali smog..

My 3000rpm speed with a .7 4th, 4.86R&P, 215x75x15 tires is 71mph.. I think its a perfect match..

Tristar Eric Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:03 am

Brent, they're the Audi 5000 mounts. I think I sent you the part number?

A 4.86 R&P with the .77 4th and 30" tires gets you 55mph @ 2600 rpm

To the guys that haven't experienced driving a TDI powered Syncro, the transformation from a really good offroading machine to an excellent offroader is amazing. Granny gear with an idling TDI allows you to crawl without slipping the clutch. It changes your driving style, just makes it easy.
I hear many people talk about the cost of this conversion and how it will take 10 years to recoup the savings in fuel costs alone. Do it for the full potential of your offroad experience in your Syncro. I've found that it drives similar to an automatic.
If anyone wants to try one out, hit me up at Syncrofest. I'll hand you my keys.

[/youtube]

syncrodoka Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:18 am

Tristar Eric wrote:
If anyone wants to try one out, hit me up at Syncrofest. I'll hand you my keys.

The first one if free. :wink:

I can't wait to see the truck, time to get it dirty :twisted:

Christopher Schimke Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:41 am

Very cool, Eric!!!

AndyBees Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 pm

My project is getting closer ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3746715#post3746715

trailnewt Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 am

Tristar Eric wrote:
To the guys that haven't experienced driving a TDI powered Syncro, the transformation from a really good offroading machine to an excellent offroader is amazing. Granny gear with an idling TDI allows you to crawl without slipping the clutch. It changes your driving style, just makes it easy.
... Do it for the full potential of your offroad experience in your Syncro. I've found that it drives similar to an automatic.

Eric hit the nail on the head! This is the reason I converted my Syncro to TDI. Nothing quite like super low end torque when you don't have a crawler range.
Brent

2Dokas Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Tristar Eric wrote:

To the guys that haven't experienced driving a TDI powered Syncro, the transformation from a really good offroading machine to an excellent offroader is amazing. Granny gear with an idling TDI allows you to crawl without slipping the clutch. It changes your driving style, just makes it easy. .......

I just purchased a syncro westy with a tdi and I have to say that it really does drive differently that my subie 2wd doka conversion.

I seems harder to drive in town as the power band is pretty narrow, 1st and 2nd are stock and 3rd and 4th are re geared. 2nd gear in town is a bit slow and 3rd is a bit of a stretch. The subie has such an amazing 2nd gear.

Hoped to bring it to syncrofest but it made it home and now will not start.... :? May come anyway in the doka and maybe get a ride on the road from someone...... :D

However, I will say its not "sorted out", (throws a 1550 code many times while shifting) and needs to be so before I make my final judgment. Has a turbo intake issue I think.

Eric, your conversions look so clean, I cant believe its the same as mine under the hood.... but maybe an AHU is very different. I have no experience with either.

dont ask me about buying a van that wont cant start.... its an issue I have

peter

hans j Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Tristar Eric wrote: More pics...

Any issues with the starter location on the syncro with the 15* bellhousing? It looked like the starter Overland uses may be a little long. It looks like it fits in the same place as stock vanagon. Still concerned with clearance with the tank and rear locker.

How does the pedal feel in that location? I drove one that was really awkward but yours looks much better. I am looking for similar to stock feel from it.

I just got nearly all my bits found in the shop today. Just need to source another half of a wiring harness, E-pedal, get my pump and VNT-17 rebuilt and I'll be on my way!

Tristar Eric Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:08 pm

The Mexican bellhousing is 1.5" longer, it allows the starter to go in and out very easily. I can take the starter out from the engine compartment.

Pedal is pretty much in the stock location. It's more sensitive, so that means it doesn't move 50% before something happens in the back...

Post up some pics!

Eric

hans j Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Tristar Eric wrote:
Post up some pics!

Great! Thanks for the info. It was one thing I didn't really want to mess with but after looking at more pics of the 50* starter and the 15* starter; it looked like it fit a whole lot better.

Here is my pile so far:

Found a rebuilt head with new cam and lifters already too. I still need quite a bit more parts though, but luckily they are parted out often! Crank gets polished next week and as soon as I get that back all the parts are going to the balancer. Then assembly and then dealing with the old engine and dreaded fuel tank straps and more rust :cry:

AndyBees Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:39 pm

My Vanagon TDI project is very close to being road ready! We started the engine this past Friday night! At this point, I'm just trying to tie up loose ends and make sure nothing has been overlooked!

You can read about it at Post #587 in this link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=40

I hope to have it out and doing some test driving by Wednesday or Thursday of this week!

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Congrats!

kuleinc Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:09 pm

I just finished agonizing over TDi or some other conversion. I decided (probably, my donor car is kinda nice) on a 1.8t swap. My mains reasons for deciding not to do a TDi were: Narrow power band, Swap kit is sort of non existent. Things making me want to go for a TDi were epic mileage, and tons of torque, and no smog. Alas I cannot weld or fab and a 1.8t kit is much more complete at this time. Some day I hope to drive a 1.9 TDi and possibly do the swap, maybe when my 1.8t dies :?

AndyBees Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:32 pm

kuleinc wrote: I just finished agonizing over TDi or some other conversion. I decided (probably, my donor car is kinda nice) on a 1.8t swap. My mains reasons for deciding not to do a TDi were: Narrow power band, Swap kit is sort of non existent. Things making me want to go for a TDi were epic mileage, and tons of torque, and no smog. Alas I cannot weld or fab and a 1.8t kit is much more complete at this time. Some day I hope to drive a 1.9 TDi and possibly do the swap, maybe when my 1.8t dies :?

Do as many of us have, scavenge for parts and lay them back until you have accumulated the basics to do the job.

- Carrier bars from a Vanagon diesel ('82 and up for the diesel vanagon)
- Bellhousing from the same vintage era will bolt up to the ALH and other TDI engines... you will need the diesel pilot shaft for the tranny or cut-off the one that comes in the gasser tranny (info is in my project Thread)
- I used 1988-91 Volvo hydraulic motor mounts (off fleaBay)
- I went the complicated route with the Drive-by-wire '02 ALH engine....including the cruise, cluster, etc. (it's all in the project Thread)
- A must with any conversion is to rebuild the tranny and install taller 3rd and 4th gears .......to slow down the engine RPMs ...the TDI doesn't like 3600 RPMs at 65 MPH

Doing the motor mount brackets was the biggest challenge for me. I did not purchase aftermarket (not sure if they area available)...... made proto type for my welder and he did the rest!

Good luck with your desires!

AndyBees Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Well, I pretty much wrapped up my TDI conversion last week. The wife and I took it on the maiden voyage last Wednesday thru Friday and laid down almost 1,000 miles. Unfortunately, the maiden voyage was not to Alaska as alluded to in my signature ......maybe next summer!

Sure, we had a few problems but nothing that couldn't be addressed immediately or when we returned home.

After tweaking it for the last week, we are heading out with it tomorrow to Ypsilanti, Michigan for the Annual TDI Fest.

I'm sure some of you have been following the project, if not, here is a link to the first of over 40 pages of photos and comments. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

Southernsparky Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:57 am

Hi all, I've had a tdi(AFN) done recently using the Kennedy adaptor. The sump sits a bit low and I've grounded it a couple of times!
I wonder if you could measure you're clearance so I can compare.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Ray(uk)

devesvws Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 am

so what about the guys with automatic trans??? do we have any hope's in this type of swap??