TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Another 86 Syncro restoration Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
bluefirefly Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm

Here are some pictures of what we did since last time, not much during the week but a lot more during the weekend.
Sanding on the body is slowing down since I would like to do the roof first to be able to put the van back on his wheels.

The Syncro is lowered to be able to work on the roof, not that much to do but still more than I expected.










We got new SS brake line for all wheels but only the right size is done (those hoses were model and already off).


We did make some time to work on those bumpers, the plan is to add 2 back up light on the rear (or inside it), holes are done and brackets are welded.
We spend some time to put back both bumper brackets in place, seems this bumper (was not on the van when we bought it) has been in a accident, it took a lot of time and hammering to put it back in shape, more work with a hydraulic jack to "open it" to make it fit the van.

Still some work for it, there are 3 nuts on those brackets per side, 2 12mmx1.75 and 1 10mmx1.5....go figure, I might cut those nuts and weld something else since it is not easy to fine heavy grade bolt in metric size.

For the front, we welded big washer for both bolts in front.



If we are lucky, we'll have time this week to send them for sand blasting and painting.

Talking about sand blasting, we bought a used sand blasting cabinet to be able to work on all small parts from the motor principaly and everything we can find.

What was suposed to be a fast seams paint at the beginning is now a full restoration.....

We received all parts for the motor, but it will be on the side, not enough room in the garage to work on everything at the same time.

Tomorrow project, starting to work on doors..... since it is Heritage day in Canada, another day to work on the van.

Have a nice day.[/img]

outwesty Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 pm

You are kicking ass on this ! I just picked up an 87 syncro project the same color as yours.....keep it up

ALIKA T3 Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Nice work 8)

airsweden Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 pm

I needed those bumpers today, someone backed into my van at 7-11 parking lot and crunched the front of my van all up. I like the back up light deal you're working on, will have to emulate soon. I'd like a reciever in the front too.

bluefirefly Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 am

outwesty wrote: You are kicking ass on this ! I just picked up an 87 syncro project the same color as yours.....keep it up


Thanks a lot.
We won't keep that color, I might not be good good enough to do a metallic (might not be good to do painting at all anyway...) so we'll go for something like Honuak between sand and almond.

Good luck with your project.

bluefirefly Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 am

ALIKA T3 wrote: Nice work 8)

Thanks a lot.
Ou es tu situe en France?

A+

bluefirefly Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 am

airsweden wrote: I needed those bumpers today, someone backed into my van at 7-11 parking lot and crunched the front of my van all up. I like the back up light deal you're working on, will have to emulate soon. I'd like a reciever in the front too.

Those bumpers are the all point, to many people here with full size work truck don't really care about others..... and I don't want to fix the van everymonth.
With those tires and big bumpers, they might think a little more especially that I plan to add skid plate front and rear so those bumpers will be really strong for parking lot fun....

ALIKA T3 Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am

bluefirefly wrote: ALIKA T3 wrote: Nice work 8)

Thanks a lot.
Ou es tu situe en France?

A+


Je ne vis plus en France depuis presque 3 ans,j'etais près de Nice,Sud Est :wink: Mais j'y ai toujours mon WildVan 1.9 TDI-M 8)

Ciao!

airsweden Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 am

bluefirefly wrote: airsweden wrote: I needed those bumpers today, someone backed into my van at 7-11 parking lot and crunched the front of my van all up. I like the back up light deal you're working on, will have to emulate soon. I'd like a reciever in the front too.

Those bumpers are the all point, to many people here with full size work truck don't really care about others..... and I don't want to fix the van everymonth.
With those tires and big bumpers, they might think a little more especially that I plan to add skid plate front and rear so those bumpers will be really strong for parking lot fun....

So you're gonna fix the skid plates to the bumpers? That sounds cool, can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm concerned about the oil pan on my diesel and won't be doing too much exploring til I figure something out back there at least.

bluefirefly Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 pm

airsweden wrote: bluefirefly wrote: airsweden wrote: I needed those bumpers today, someone backed into my van at 7-11 parking lot and crunched the front of my van all up. I like the back up light deal you're working on, will have to emulate soon. I'd like a reciever in the front too.

Those bumpers are the all point, to many people here with full size work truck don't really care about others..... and I don't want to fix the van everymonth.
With those tires and big bumpers, they might think a little more especially that I plan to add skid plate front and rear so those bumpers will be really strong for parking lot fun....

So you're gonna fix the skid plates to the bumpers? That sounds cool, can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm concerned about the oil pan on my diesel and won't be doing too much exploring til I figure something out back there at least.

This is the plan but it might take a while.
I am not worrying about clearance since it is a Syncro with a lift kit but I think I still have some SS sheet metal here and I want to protect the drivetrain from gravel, rocks and salt for the winter and with those bigger tires, I cannot use a spare so I need to close the front.
If your oil pan is lower, you should do something before it is too late, even if it is not SS, steel is good enought with undercoating and will save your motor.....

bluefirefly Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 pm

More rust ...... :(

It will take more time again, we found rust on the lateral door, I though it was surface rust since all other doors are clean with out any rust on them , but I was wrong (again....).
So, we ordered more panels to do the bottom of that door, no choice.

Another problem, I was using a zinc primer can (industrial type) for the roof since there was a little surface only of bare metal, I didn't want to mix some primer for the gun for so little, bad move because it didn't stick to the metal (even with a 80 grit sanding job before) and my body filler came off really easily (big chuck), another lost day....
I know some of you are using it, but for me, it was the last time ever, may be that can was too old..... not sure.

I am not sure what kind of sanding I should do on that roof for example?



There is only little damage, I used body filler, so 80 grit before but where the paint if good, I am not sure.
I know I will use primer on all roof, but I am not sure what grit to use before primer and after primer right before the paint job.
I bought all supplies in a body shop, but after 3 times there and 3 different persons to serve me, I got 3 different ways to do it.....
For now, I use 180 grit to get some scratch out of the clear and 320 after but not sure if I am doing it right we'll see the result this weekend.

Have a nice day.

bluefirefly Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:49 pm

A lot has been done recently, the van isn't done yet of course, it is going to take at least another month or more, but the roof is painted.
We are really happy even if the quality isn't there, but it seems I am not able to get 20 years experience in painting in 2 weeks....
Anyway, we are still happy especially since it is done and not that bad, could be worse.





Primer is done on all the van too, and we'll do some rubber undercoating job for the bottom on the van, certainly a foot high or a little more but it might not stay black, we are going to paint it and see how it will look.
Since we have big tires and bumpers my wife think it will be too black at the bottom.







I did the roof paint with a dust mask.... not that good!
So this time, we bought a real paint mask, what a difference, good buy even if it is cheap and I cannot replace those cardrigde on it, no smell at all.

Overall, we like the color, we weren't sure since we tryed to match something we saw outside and Honuack van.
We didn't see the van in the sun but pretty sure it is what we wanted.

Stay tuned, we'll try to have the van (body only) painted this weekend and after that, work on all doors.

Have a nice day.

carterzest Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:41 am

Nice work and much more ambitious than my undertaking. Keep at it and I will get tons on Mogfest pics for you. Hope you can make the trip next year!

edgood1 Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 am

what kind of primer and paint did you use on the roof?

bluefirefly Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am

edgood1 wrote: what kind of primer and paint did you use on the roof?

Primer is a product from Pro Form, direct to metal 2k high built primer and paint is an automotive product, might be urethane with clear coat included.
We'll still be using this primer for everything else, but we are going for a different paint for the rest of the body, it will an Endura product, again with clear included and 2 components only.
Can be find online, apparantly it is kinda fleet and aircraft grade, often use by oil field, not a show quality paint (anyway it is my first time painting...) but really strong, resistante and cheaper.
Information about it can be find online or http://www.endura.ca/products/topcoats.html

Hope this help

edgood1 Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:21 pm

bluefirefly wrote:
I did the roof paint with a dust mask.... not that good!
So this time, we bought a real paint mask, what a difference, good buy even if it is cheap and I cannot replace those cardrigde on it, no smell at all.

...


Primer is a product from Pro Form, direct to metal 2k high built primer and paint is an automotive product, might be urethane with clear coat included.
We'll still be using this primer for everything else, but we are going for a different paint for the rest of the body, it will an Endura product, again with clear included and 2 components only.
Can be find online, apparantly it is kinda fleet and aircraft grade, often use by oil field, not a show quality paint (anyway it is my first time painting...) but really strong, resistante and cheaper.
Information about it can be find online or http://www.endura.ca/products/topcoats.html

Hope this help


whoa. do not use urethane paint without the proper equipment. any 2K paint is very dangerous. you need a high quality respirator. Some claim you can get away with a charcoal respirator. I was taught not to ever use urethane paint without a fresh air system.

bluefirefly Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm

edgood1 wrote: bluefirefly wrote:
I did the roof paint with a dust mask.... not that good!
So this time, we bought a real paint mask, what a difference, good buy even if it is cheap and I cannot replace those cardrigde on it, no smell at all.

...


Primer is a product from Pro Form, direct to metal 2k high built primer and paint is an automotive product, might be urethane with clear coat included.
We'll still be using this primer for everything else, but we are going for a different paint for the rest of the body, it will an Endura product, again with clear included and 2 components only.
Can be find online, apparantly it is kinda fleet and aircraft grade, often use by oil field, not a show quality paint (anyway it is my first time painting...) but really strong, resistante and cheaper.
Information about it can be find online or http://www.endura.ca/products/topcoats.html

Hope this help


whoa. do not use urethane paint without the proper equipment. any 2K paint is very dangerous. you need a high quality respirator. Some claim you can get away with a charcoal respirator. I was taught not to ever use urethane paint without a fresh air system.

Thanks, I didn't know that and the first paint shop didn't warn me about it..... even if they knew it was my first job without any knowledge!

Anyway, I don't know what kind of mask I got, but that other body shop supplier knows better and sold me a 1 use mask (cannot replace filters on it) and I didn't smell anything for 2 hours of painting so their mask must be good.

I'll be more careful in the future, but since I'll spend my all summer on it, I can guaranty you, this is the first and last vehicle I'll be restoring.

Again, thanks for the advice.

edgood1 Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 pm

bluefirefly wrote: I can guaranty you, this is the first and last vehicle I'll be restoring.

.

famous last words... I said that like 10 vans ago :)

good luck with the project its coming along great

bluefirefly Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am

edgood1 wrote: bluefirefly wrote: I can guaranty you, this is the first and last vehicle I'll be restoring.

.

famous last words... I said that like 10 vans ago :)

good luck with the project its coming along great

It is funny, but it might be a problem for us since I usually don't sell my vehicles.
We already have 5 at home (the finish van will almost be the better one, the oldest and definitively the most expensive...) and this is too many.
After that, my wife isn't really happy (but she is helping a lot :D ) and I am pretty sure it will be the last one.
We did sacrifice our spring, summer and looks like fall is coming fast, we did only 1 hike and 1 backpacking, no BC trip in our Miata, even no trip in Alberta so it won't happen again.

thummmper Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I hope that isnt a lacquer primer, but a catalized primer. lacquer separates eventually, especially in thick areas.
the auburn restoration shop in indiana that has restored that classic car for 40+ years, lets their lacquer primed parts breathe for weeks before squirting them with color.
you are doing a stellar job blue!



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group