TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: geoffwg`s 1970 build thread Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
geoffwg Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

hey every one! its time for another baja thread :D

my name is geoff and i live in yucaipa CA.
i am 18 years old attending crafton hills college and working part time at big 5 sporting goods.

i have a 1970 bug that i have been working on for the last four years. my plan was to buil a mild baja that i could crusie around town and get me to school and back, while still being able too do some local trails and go out to the deserts on weekends. then eventually build it into something similar to a class five.

i reached my goal half way through my senior year and drove around for a while after untill i really depended on my daily driver and after a hard weekend in the desert, i would run the risk of not being able to get to school or work on monday.

so now i have my dd a 1999 jeep cherokee and im starting to build again when time and money are present any ways.

here is some history up untill this point

these are some of the bug when we first brought it home, she was gutted and had some rust issuse

then we did a pretty basic cage just something to start out with, fiberglass, a body lift (not my first choice but thats what i got)

then i did a bunch of cage work running the rear shocks through the body.

and this is how i drove for a while untill i decided to try an turbo my 1600 dp.
i used a t3t4 turbo and used the stock solex pict 34 carb. i did a blow trough design and it worked for a while but my milage was terrible, and my turbo was way to big and never really produced enough boost to really feel the effects.

then i threw some paint on and reconfigured my front bumper and lenghtend m front shock mounts so i was able to run a ten ich stoke shock up front, i belive i was at just around ten inches of travle,

also in the rear i used a ten ich stroke shock and i was at 11 iches of travle in the rear.

i have to go now so i will finish posting the pics up untill my bugs curent state when i get back :P

poomwah Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:43 am

awesome baja, a lot of great work there.
could you do me a huge favor for me and please post some pics of the car with the front end off?

The Phil Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:46 am

Man, thats gunna be a wicked baja. you've got some serious potential with that car. Mine will be never be that extreme.

If you dont mind, please give out some specs: Year of car, bodylift height, if any arm conversions, length of arms etc., etc.

Thanks.

thext94 Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:51 am

I like the GPS... :lol:

cmiller95 Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

thext94 wrote: I like the GPS... :lol:
x2

motorbreath53 Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

looks like fun. I like the idea of the body lift actually. On a VW, the added headroom is a bonus for sure.

rubsterob Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:57 pm

hey man thats a good looking baja. i think ive seen it up at crafton before.

tanner_122 Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:46 pm

nice baja!

and Jeep Cherokee FTW!!!! :twisted:

geoffwg Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:33 pm

poomwah wrote: awesome baja, a lot of great work there.
could you do me a huge favor for me and please post some pics of the car with the front end off?

i will try and dig up some pics from before i chopped off the front end :oops:

geoffwg Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

motorbreath53 wrote: looks like fun. I like the idea of the body lift actually. On a VW, the added headroom is a bonus for sure.

yes the head room was a definate plus along with being able too cycle more travle with bigger tires without rubbing the fenders too much :D

geoffwg Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:33 pm

thanks for all the feedback guys :D

alright ill start with some specs

up front we have.....
tires 30-9.5 bfgs
previous shocks 10 inch stroke bilstiens
i only did some tube work that extended to the fire wall (will try and find pics)
no bump stops or limit straps :shock: im still shocked my ball joints held up.
5 gallon spun aluminum gas tank.

in the cab i have two beard suspension seats from my dads datsun pick up he had in high school (1982 i am told)

aluminum dash with sun tac from auto zone with idiot lights

and sweet custom gps 8)

in the rear
10 inch stroke bilstiens
bumped and strapped at 11 inches of travel
235 75 by 15 rear meats

engine
stock 1600
progressive empie carb
exteral oil filter
55 amp alt

alright i gotta catch us up too the current state!

i picked up a light bar from my girl friends dad.
three 7inch hids and light bar rack for 200 bucks :shock:

then a trip to johnson valley for the king of the hammers race

and now current buisness

i am in the process of beefing up my cage so i will be able to renforce the front beam that is now pushed out 6inchs from stock with a 6inch extended beam :D

i plan on doing alot of reinforcing this so i wont be relying on this too much

with some fiberglass

and this is about when i ran out of money :?

i need my arms to start planning for my rack and whole front cage.
(just so i can cycle as much travel as possible with out interference with anything)

my plans as of right now...

pick up 4inch over arms on friday or saturday after i get my check :D

rack and pinion
run tube to front of car
20 to 25 gal fuel cell behind seats
3x3s (alredy have, gathering dust in the attic)
buss trans 002
930 cvs axle assembly
build engine cage
engine swap?..... possibly toyota 22re, subie, 20r..... jeep 4.0.... :wink:

so i need most of this so this will definatly take some time and money
and the lack of a tube bender makes it hard to progress :?

but i do what i can :D

so we are all caught up now!

heres aome of my jeep for ya

and some other goodies

geoffwg Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm

rubsterob wrote: hey man thats a good looking baja. i think ive seen it up at crafton before.

i belive i have seen your bug as well!

oh yeah and 33s all the way around :twisted:
already have som 33 9.5 mud terrains sittin up in my room

geoffwg Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 pm

rubsterob wrote: hey man thats a good looking baja. i think ive seen it up at crafton before.

and your car is preety sick! did you paint it?

kyleader Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Man that paint sure does make it look better! Looks like its coming along, and your having fun with it~ awsome! Do you ever take the bug out to superstition/ plaster city?

The Phil Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 am

the toyota 22r is one of their strongest and best motors they ever made. the 20r was also pretty good. not as much power as the 22r though. I dont know anything about the subies.

KrAzY-BaJa Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 am

I would go 20Gal. fuel cell or smaller

I can go for DAYS with my 22g cell and my yota 20r :twisted:

royo57 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 am

toyota 22 r its indestructible i have an old truck and it drinks 2 quarts of gear oli :twisted: every week but never let me stand

( the truck dont worth the money i should invest in fixing the engine)

geoffwg Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:05 am

i have never ventured out to superstition or plaster city i have seen some pics and vids for there and it seems preety cool. i stay pretty local for the most part johnson valley stadoard wells....

when i get the bug together i will probably journy out that way though

i am really leaning towards the toyota engines though.

Although a buddy of mine has a nissan 240sx with a 2.4 inline 4 (ka24e). and apperently they are rather cheap to build and the wiring harnesses are cheap as well.

im thinking if i couldent get a hold of a toyota engine i might go that route.

as for the fuel cell i still have some reserch too do...

krazy baja is your fuel cell palastic with a bladder?

rubsterob Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm

geoffwg wrote: rubsterob wrote: hey man thats a good looking baja. i think ive seen it up at crafton before.

and your car is preety sick! did you paint it?

nope havent painted it. thats the way i got it

zackpunx Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 pm

hey i used to see this thing all the time at my old house on crestwood.