TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Found this under my carpet, is it standard?
akgp Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 am

So I pulled my carpet last night to prep for adding sound deadening and on the drivers side I found some sort of pad. Is it a standard thing on 85 Westys? Is it for sound deadening? Just curious if I should remove it or cover it up with the raammat.

srmpf Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 am

I had the same (although grey, not white) and I removed it before adding the sound deadening (Fatmat) and insulation (EZ-Cool).

danfromsyr Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 am

it's factory sound deadening,
pull it up and replace that inferior tar product with a modern tar product..

or just consider your work done for you by the factory and move on.

GBA 88West LA Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 am

mine was quite a bear to remove good luck

srmpf Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 am

GBA 88West LA wrote: mine was quite a bear to remove good luck

use a heatgun - helps a lot.

dubbified Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:24 am

GBA 88West LA wrote: mine was quite a bear to remove good luck

Mine was cracked to isht.. I had to hit it hard with the heat gun, came off easily when heated.

Ahwahnee Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:37 am

From the subject line I was expecting a doobie or a baggie.

pjrae Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 am

Ahwahnee wrote: From the subject line I was expecting a doobie or a baggie.
must mean it's still there!

experiment: grab the heat gun and seal the van up and I'll tell you when your getting close....

....cold.... warm.... warmer... warmer..... HOT, LAVA HOT, keep the heat gun RIGHT there :wink:

akgp Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Well I'm glad to know it's a standard thing and not something weird the previous owner did to patch a hole or something. So far I've found that the PO like to use clear caulking for a wide range of fixes.
I'll just remove it with the aid of a heatgun and try and get the sound deadening done before winter hits.
I think the doobie is stashed in the hidden storage compartment under the passenger seat, I'll let you know after I take the sawzall to it.

pjrae Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 pm

akgp wrote: I think the doobie is stashed in the hidden storage compartment under the passenger seat, I'll let you know after I take the sawzall to it.

I vote oxy-acetylene, minimum. these V-gon's are tough nuts to crack (driven by a bunch of cracked nuts!), just those guys at the border prolly just slap some thermite on both seat pedestals, SOP.

vanaru Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 pm

[quote="danfromsyr"]it's factory sound deadening,
pull it up and replace that inferior tar product with a modern tar product..

that's funny.

purplepeopleeater Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 pm

modern tar, hahaha