TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Left Hand Drive Type 3 Dash, - Now with Speaker Holes!! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Retrovan Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 am

Tram, and Mike.
Your parcel will be sent off in the morning, the tracing number and other info will be PM'ed to you after Postage.
May have noticed that it is your Dash covers on the photo, with Tram's return.
Hope you like them.
Thanks again guys,

Herman

vw7266 Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:36 am

So you have these in wrap around style ? If so I need a lhd wrap around
Lmk

Robert Bills Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 am

OK, I want one, and will send a PM to arrange payment and shipping.

But first, I have to express my ignorance regarding dashes:

I have a 1973 Squareback (also known as a "Fat Chick" in some circles).

Which dash do I want, the "standard" or the "wrap around"?

AlanWrench Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:07 am

Robert Bills wrote: OK, I want one, and will send a PM to arrange payment and shipping.

Standard.

-ALan

Robert Bills Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:37 pm

AlanWrench wrote: Robert Bills wrote: OK, I want one, and will send a PM to arrange payment and shipping.

Standard.

-ALan

Which cars use the wraparound?

notchback Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Robert Bills wrote: AlanWrench wrote: Robert Bills wrote: OK, I want one, and will send a PM to arrange payment and shipping.

Standard.

-ALan

Which cars use the wraparound? '61-'65.

Retrovan Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm

As correctly stated by others, the dash covers are as follows;-

'61-'65. type 3 use the Wrap-around Dash cover

66 - onwards type 3 use the Standard Dash cover

Will be posting the shipping fees tomorrow as well as payment options.

Just have to clear shipping cost and find out if there is a Insurance option.

All info on this thread tomorrow.

Till then

Herman

JonL Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:42 pm

These look great, and the price seems good to me.
A few quick questions, if I could-
-How is the fit on these, or any installation tips, stretching, etc?
-What are the differences from stock, other than the 'leather vs. pebble finish'
-How many are you going to make? I'm looking to buy until after the holidays.
thanks again.

Retrovan Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry, had a hard day, could not get all the info together, but will do my best in the morning.
Will also post an installation sheet, its very easy, and as you can see, there is no difference between the OEM and my dash, but the difference in finish.
Also You have 3 options for your installation, purely to your own liking.
Thanks for understanding.
Herman

Retrovan Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:50 am

Hi,
Thanks for your inquiry. This quote is for shipping to the USA.
Will be no problem shipping to You.
Dash cost will be $150 each
Surface mail will be $40 (Delivery approx. 4 - 8 weeks)
Air Mail will be $95 ( delivery approx. 4 weeks)
If you want insurance will be $4
If not insured will mark as (No Commercial Value)
Track and trace Number will be e-mailed on shipping, with photo of parcel as shipped.
Payment can be made by PayPal, or direct bank transfer.
Please let me know.

Here are the easy fitting instructions.......

Herman

Retrovan Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi guys,

Here is a photo of one of these Dash covers fitted, not by me but by a guy in Australia.

So its easy to fit, as he done it purely with the fitting instructions as above.

Had a guy that was concerned, as to why I said it should be heated.

The heating of the dash is not to stretch it, but to make sure that it flexes into place with out much effort. IT will not go out of shape or twist.

As per the OEM dash, you have to heat it to fit it correctly.

Herman

TommyBoyGomes Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:54 pm

sweet! Let us know paypal details please (via pm is ok of course)? Thanks

notchboy Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Herman these are amazing repops. Thank you for offering them at a great price even. I was wondering if you were going to be able to have them with the speaker grid at all?

Retrovan Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:07 am

notchboy wrote: Herman these are amazing repops. Thank you for offering them at a great price even. I was wondering if you were going to be able to have them with the speaker grid at all?

Only supply as is and with Speaker installation Kit.

PS;- Speaker installation Kit, consists of One 3 mm Dill bit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

No Should you want it, you may drill them in your self. Dash will always crack at holes. Nobody uses the centre speaker any more, all quad sound now.

Herman

Retrovan Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:13 am

Here Is my Fastback with its new Dash in place.

This is the reason I started making Dash covers.

Not cleaned yet, :oops: ..... just got it in.......

Now to neaten up the wires. and get the windows in

Herman

notchboy Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:17 am

Retrovan wrote: notchboy wrote: Herman these are amazing repops. Thank you for offering them at a great price even. I was wondering if you were going to be able to have them with the speaker grid at all?

No Should you want it, you may drill them in your self. Dash will always crack at holes. Nobody uses the centre speaker any more, all quad sound now.

Herman

If you do not plan on making an accurate copy you are isolating a section of buyers that wont purchase from you. Thats fine as its your choice and business model you want to follow.

The dash does not always break at the speaker. The dash breaks when its not taken care of. The original dash in my 1963 notchback has no cracks or chips, the shitty late model dashes that fit bad do not crack at the speaker and I know of several others with original dashes that do not crack because they take care of them. Saying they break and no one uses the speaker hole to me is a cop out.

Im trying to help out if possible by hoping to persuade someone in making an accurate copy-one that looks og. The T34 market is in need of accurate copies as well.

Mike Fisher Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:29 am

I'm not drilling 1976 holes in my new dash. Make a late model speaker grill that we can glue on if we want!

Retrovan Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:40 am

notchboy wrote: Retrovan wrote: notchboy wrote: Herman these are amazing repops. Thank you for offering them at a great price even. I was wondering if you were going to be able to have them with the speaker grid at all?

Herman

If you do not plan on making an accurate copy you are isolating a section of buyers that wont purchase from you. Thats fine as its your choice and business model you want to follow.

The dash does not always break at the speaker. The dash breaks when its not taken care of. The original dash in my 1963 notchback has no cracks or chips, the shitty late model dashes that fit bad do not crack at the speaker and I know of several others with original dashes that do not crack because they take care of them. Saying they break and no one uses the speaker hole to me is a cop out.

Im trying to help out if possible by hoping to persuade someone in making an accurate copy-one that looks og. The T34 market is in need of accurate copies as well.

This I leave to some one else, There are far too many options, that I would not like to start.
Its easy to talk, but the cost of making a mould for ONE model, is well above $10 000, so this would make the dash, approx. Ten times more then now, NO ONE WOULD PAY THAT.
As I said, If you take your time, and make a template, you can drill it to look the same as OEM, but would you do that, You can write a program and have the holes laser cut. This will still be cheaper then making moulds for them all.

OMO
Herman

jimmynotch Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 am

notchboy wrote:

[/quote]

I think that anyone who needs a replacement wraparound dash will consider this regardless of holes. First, you can buy TWO dashes for waaaay less than an OG dash and try drilling the holes yourself, having a spare if you F-up. Second, its better than not having a dash at all. Third, Herman has "walked the walk" on this one and we should support his ass since every single one of us has complained that nobody has made dashes. I will get one just to have, for posterity's sake, as a part of the continuing and dwindling history of the type 3. And the other bloke who is poppping them in Oz will be coming out soon too...

vdubin Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:39 pm

man... I so wish I had the scratch to get one of these. way to go Retrovan!!! I will have to check back in the new year to see if you still have a standard. if not I will keep an ear out for the next run.

All of you whining about the little things, shut it! you whine about not having these parts, then someone steps out and gets the work done and all you do is whine about some trivial thing like speaker holes or the cost of trans-oceanic shipping.

again way to go retro!!