TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Glass
vdubme Fri May 17, 2002 6:57 am

I see that several folks have left threads concerning replacement VW glass (windows/windshields).

However, I still haven't seen a post that tells us where we can get replacement glass for our vintage type IIs.

I'm guessing many of you have faced and solved this problem. Short of installing safari windows or ordering glass from the UK (shipping exceeds the cost of the glass), does anyone have a source for replacement glass????

Thanks in advance--I know there are many folks who could use some help in this area.

TimGud Fri May 17, 2002 9:02 am

If you have one original take it to your nearest automotive glass company as most of them stock flat safety glass and get new ones cut.If you want the original glass, go to the nearest vw car show with a swap meet and talk to the vendor's.If they don't have it there one of them is sure to come up with them for you.If you keep looking in these classifieds they pop up every now and then.

frostbite Fri May 17, 2002 9:10 am

If your talking about basic flat glass any galss shop can cut laminate glass for windsheilds or even side windows which are normally tempered glass. If you want original glass many glass shops have old stock suppliers that will send original glass but at a hefty price. If you want the glass to have the original sekurit etching in the corner best bet is used for tempered parts and/or find someone who could make a shot blast stencil and has a glass shot blaster from years ago and have new glass stenciled for originallity. Most auto glass shops keep old NAGS catalogs around and can probably order old stock from their suppliers which is the easiest way to go! Good Luck

Karl Fri May 17, 2002 7:34 pm

True, glass shops can cut you any piece of flat laminated glass BUT, it will be a lot thicker than the original and is tough to install. What they have in stock is for US vehicles. Make sure they order thinner glass. The thin stuff is [I believe] .110" thick. USA glass is around .125" or more.

23window Tue May 21, 2002 1:16 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here Bill B., but shops can't install the original AS-1 glass, and have to use AS-2, as concuring with the post above. I broke both my original windshields because they were just too thin. The new AS-2's held up to the rigors of installtion. Its just tighter in the seal. I also got tinted glass, which is a little greener then original glass.