TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I had to be brave... Page: 1, 2  Next
kevtherev Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 pm

To have the rust issues properly addressed with new panels I had to remove the interior
So today we pains painstakingly unscrewed every thing that remotely looked like a fixing screw
Before

after

because of this

once the inner cover panels and various coverings were removed

Being a coverted panel van which had no real rust protection from the factory I think I can say I got off lightly :D

DAIZEE Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Nice looking van! Don't forget how you took it apart so that you can get it back together :roll: Big job.

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:15 pm

I like how compact that interior is...no sink?

kevtherev Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:52 am

sink is all cleverly hidden

Sam Bateman Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:10 am

Clever and smart describes everything about this interior. Very, very nice!

What's that black cylinder that was under the rear seat?

kevtherev Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:20 am

Sam Bateman wrote: Clever and smart describes everything about this interior. Very, very nice!

What's that black cylinder that was under the rear seat?

thanks for the kind comment..
The black cylinder is my fuel tank... My 2.1 DJ runs on Propane, I still have a regular gas tank, but it's for emergency only, as gas is double the price of Propane.

dubbified Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:04 pm

The lady and I really like the kitchen.. we're about to build one up custom.. very nice!

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:14 pm

You sir, have my favorite camper interior ever! Nicely done...really

bluefirefly Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: You sir, have my favorite camper interior ever! Nicely done...really

X2, really nice.

Too bad for the rust, I had the exact same problem, it is everywhere and coming from inside, sade.

Here is ours:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472255&highlight=syncro

I'll advice you to find a donor to be able to get full panels if you can because the body work is really. really long otherwise, everything need to be looked at....

Have fun and good luck.
Jerome

DAIZEE Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm

He's over the Big Pond, perhaps they have better service than us. Don't forget that Vanagons are a lot more numerous, more recognized and more appreciated over there, I think 8)

kevtherev Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 pm

bluefirefly wrote: Zeitgeist 13 wrote: You sir, have my favorite camper interior ever! Nicely done...really

X2, really nice.

Too bad for the rust, I had the exact same problem, it is everywhere and coming from inside, sade.

Here is ours:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472255&highlight=syncro

I'll advice you to find a donor to be able to get full panels if you can because the body work is really. really long otherwise, everything need to be looked at....

Have fun and good luck.
Jerome

Many thanks Jerome.
That sure looks like what I'm about to embark on.. :D
As Diazee writes I have all the panels bar one which had to be a cut section from a donor
they include...

front upper panel (panel between grill and windscreen)
Lower front repair section
OS cab step panel
OS rear arch (full)
OS rear quarter panel
OS lower quarter panel
OS lower sill
NS rear arch (full) and inner arch.
NS rear quarter cut section
NS lower quarter panel

bluefirefly Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Sounds good and looking at the work you did on the interior of the van, it will be as good as new or better when you'll be done.
Again, good luck and have fun...

kevtherev Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Just an update
After some delays work has begun on my old girl..
the news just became grim as the week rolled by

the high top roof was lifted to reveal some issues over the top of the front windscreen

Also at some time in the past a shoddy job of replacing some accident damaged rear wing was revealed

the damaged wing was hacked off and the replacement was welded to it rust and all

DAIZEE Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:38 pm

OUCH

r39o Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Those are atypical areas for most of them.

Guess, you got lucky!

Keep having fun!

insyncro Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Rust never sleeps.
Go getem tiger.
You'll be glad you did.

Rocky Mountain Westy Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 am

Wow,

I don't miss rust. I guess my fleet of ugly, broken, dilappadated, dented, stinky, NONRUSTED campers are worth saving.

Don't be afraid to use 3M metal adhesive where appropriate. The stuff rocks. Seam Sealer, corrosion protection, and bonding adhesive all in one.

Good luck.

kevtherev Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:41 am

more work..
As you have seen, the top of the windscreen was decidedly a mess and although most of the mess could be covered up with the high top it had to be right.
So after a trip to VAG parts (panel dept.) below

we found that the only mint piece was the one I wanted!! so it was removed

as was the mess on my van

The accident repair the van had in the past, is beginning to reveal itself as a dogs breakfast.
poorly welded repairs and lazy workmanship resulted in the area rotting in double quick time.
you can see here the rear of the wheel arch was left unwelded..

The high top has been found to be a replacement too.
Rivet holes that do not line up and rivets that were just cut and not removed caused more grief.
here a cut rivet scratched the paint and allowed water to attack the steel
there's no corresponding hole for it in the roof

Mark Lewalski Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

Go find Edd China and get him to work on it!

Love that show... saw him fix up a diesel tin top with a new camping interior.

Just saw him fix up a Ghia vert last week too.

It must be a pain to find all the rust but, at the same time, it must be good to know it will all be fixed with no need to worry about it later.

Mark

vw7266 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 pm

looks like a parts car to me...