TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Propane Leak inside
SWbySWesty Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

After having the van sit for a while, I will open the door and get a wiff of propane inside the van. :shock:

Where do I start trouble shooting? I turned the main valve off whenever driving or not in use, I figured it was leaking out with less pressure, but wouldn't the line empty and stop delivering gas? Either position gives a smell.

r39o Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

I had the same thing. It WAS the valve.

You need to start with the spray soapy water on connections and the valve, etc, to find bubbles.

pioneer1 Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

If you are sure it's propane and not a dead critter in the cupboard...turn on the gas and test all fittings with a spray solution of soapy water-no smoking.

SWbySWesty Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 pm

So I should take apart the top of the stove to spray? Sorry for the ignorance. I'm also at work and not looking at it right now.

jackbombay Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 pm

SWbySWesty wrote: So I should take apart the top of the stove to spray? Sorry for the ignorance. I'm also at work and not looking at it right now.

Start with the easily accessible connections first.

SWbySWesty Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Should I really worry about outside on tank itself? That would make it smell around the van but not inside of it. At least that's what I'd assume. Sigh...just wish I had TIME! No daylight to use until Thursday.

vela123321 Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:15 pm

SWbySWesty wrote: Should I really worry about outside on tank itself? That would make it smell around the van but not inside of it. At least that's what I'd assume. Sigh...just wish I had TIME! No daylight to use until Thursday.

There are several fittings around the tank. If any of them are leaking, the smell could easily make it up to the inside of the van. I just had this happen...

mwsnow Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:27 pm

vela123321 wrote: There are several fittings around the tank. If any of them are leaking, the smell could easily make it up to the inside of the van. I just had this happen...
Propane is heavier than air, and falls to the ground instead of rising into the body. I would be suspicious of in internal leak.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group