TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Original Interior
jazzed Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:33 am

My '66 Dlx has a really bad interior panel job. Either the "restorer" cut out his own cardboard panels or just bought some cheap panels. At any rate, they are pretty warped and covered in a non-standard dark brown vinyl. How would I go about finding out the color scheme of the original panels? The M code plate mentions aero papyrus, but I think that refers only to the headliner. I seem to have read somewhere that one can mail questions to VW. Where would you send such a request? Do they charge anything?

UZI Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:55 pm

jazzed, right here on this website. go take a rubbing of the m-code tag. then go to type2. look at your screen. its right under gallery in the black bar. or got to links, vintagebus.com, that actually has a "form" you fill out. neither will probably give you all the info on the tag but you'll be able to figure out when it was made, OG color, and interior easily. if you cant figure it out, post it here as it appears line by line. good luck

jazzed Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:28 pm

Thanks, Earlyman! I had the Aero Papyrus part right and I guess that actually refers to the upholstery. I assumed that Wolfsburg West carried ALL the colors in their panel kits, but I guess mine's not one of them :(
Would anyone know of other companies which might supply door panel kits in original colors? Another question might be...what the heck does aero papyrus look like???