TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Icepick Door Handle Difference
G-wood Todd Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm on the search for a driver icepick door handle for a 61 and I understand that there is a difference between 60 and earlier vs. 61-64. Is it a cosmetic difference or is there a mechanical difference making them non interchangable? Pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

61TXghia Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm

This post helped me
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467033&highlight=door+handles

G-wood Todd Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks for the post. After reading it I was able to answer some of my questions in that the 60 and earlier handle and the 61-64 handle are not interchangable.

Now all I need is some info on how to identify the differences between the 2 types of handles.

EverettB Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Some handles are interchangeable but the handle bases are different to compensate for the door design - whether it is flat or has a depression.

The flat door has a taller base as the door handle is further away from the mounting screw holes.

You need to check your doors because early 61s still have the flat door.

This thread from the Bus FAQ has a handle breakdown but no photos of the bases:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481086

G-wood Todd Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 pm

It looks like I've got the earlier style handle with a flat door. The 609xxx vin would also confirm that it is an early 61. Now the search begins for an early handle. Thanks for the replies.

vwtoyman2 Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:38 am

G-wood Todd wrote: The 609xxx vin would also confirm that it is an early 61.

Wouldn't that vin# make it an early '60 model?

fifty8 Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 am

My 58 SC had a Beetle handle on the passenger door. Part # is 113 837 206. Or could it possibly just be handle is Beetle and the base was originally from the Bus? Is there any differences between Bus and Beetle handles? The handle worked fine, though I replaced it because the two screw mounts had broken off.

EverettB Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:15 am

vwtoyman2 wrote: G-wood Todd wrote: The 609xxx vin would also confirm that it is an early 61.

A 609xxx VIN # is May, 1960 so 100% the 1960 model year.

EverettB Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 am

fifty8 wrote: My 58 SC had a Beetle handle on the passenger door. Part # is 113 837 206. Or could it possibly just be handle is Beetle and the base was originally from the Bus? Is there any differences between Bus and Beetle handles? The handle worked fine, though I replaced it because the two screw mounts had broken off.

Buses use a "Bug" passenger handle for some years.
Some year Bug and Bus handles are identical.
The bases I do not know.

G-wood Todd Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 pm

EverettB wrote: vwtoyman2 wrote: G-wood Todd wrote: The 609xxx vin would also confirm that it is an early 61.

A 609xxx VIN # is May, 1960 so 100% the 1960 model year.

I was basing the 61 off what the title said. :oops: Thanks for the help in figuring out the real year and what handle I need.

Hebster52 Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm also having a similar problem to solve..

Here's a photo of a set of handles I have.

The one to the left is a 61-64 NOS handle.
The middle one (non-locking) is taken from a -58 righthand door I have and the one to the right is taken from the lefthand driversdoor (with lock)of the same -58...
The handle numbers are as follows.
211837205B, 113837206, 113837205

As you can see the two supposed -58 door handles dont have the same shape on the tip. One is much more pointy than the other.

The 61-64 have the same base but the handle is longer, thicker and points slightly more outwards. It has a VW logo and a for me unknown logo after the partnumber.

The middle one (non-locking) "-58 handle" have the same logos as the ones above.

The one to the right have the VW logo and after the partnumber there'a "huf" logo.

Anyone know any more of these types??? I'm getting even more confused... :oops: :lol:

Clara Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Hebster52 wrote: I'm also having a similar problem to solve..

Here's a photo of a set of handles I have.

The one to the left is a 61-64 NOS handle.
The middle one (non-locking) is taken from a -58 righthand door I have and the one to the right is taken from the lefthand driversdoor (with lock)of the same -58...
The handle numbers are as follows.
211837205B, 113837206, 113837205

As you can see the two supposed -58 door handles dont have the same shape on the tip. One is much more pointy than the other.

The 61-64 have the same base but the handle is longer, thicker and points slightly more outwards. It has a VW logo and a for me unknown logo after the partnumber.

The middle one (non-locking) "-58 handle" have the same logos as the ones above.

The one to the right have the VW logo and after the partnumber there'a "huf" logo.

Anyone know any more of these types??? I'm getting even more confused... :oops: :lol:
Actually, the 61-64 does not have the same base as the 55-61.

The logo is from the company that makes the door handle. (VW farmed parts out to companies like huf, hella, bosch, etc)
Check the parts list for the parts numbers.
A drivers door handle with a 113 p/n would be beetle, and not have a bus key code. Yes, they did use the same handle on the passenger side as a beetle.

Hebster52 Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:55 am

Just even more confused... :oops:

According to this info the NOS handle also would be correct pre-61 handle too? So now I have 3 different types of pre-61 handles here.... :shock:
The locking handle that was in the -58 door soes actually have SG key code.

What does "lock catch with/without groove" mean? The groove in the handle base that fixes the handle forward? :oops:

EverettB Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:18 pm

If your NOS handle is a "B" part number, that is 55-early 61, not 61-64.

I am not sure what the groove means.

splitpile Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 pm

It's easy. If your door does not have the depression for the handle in it (flat) you use the handle with the long striker arm on it.

If your door has the depression you use the handle with the short striker arm

Hope this helps

Hebster52 Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:58 am

Ok. So I have assumed this all wrong then.

Appearantly the locking handle on my -58 driversdoor is incorrect then but the passengerdoor handle is correct?

Thanks Splitpile! Those pictures also show the difference of the handle bases. 8)

Still is strange as they seem to not have the same curvature on them. When I line up the bases against a straight surface the tips end up on different heights. You also see from this picture that the NOS handle (to the right) seems to have a sharper tip than the old one to the left. These two appears to have the same manufactor logo too. The old one is slightly pitted around the logo on the inside but from what I can see it is the same.

Edit: Partnumbers are 113 837 206 and 211 837 205B from left to right on this picture.

Thanks all for your help! Luckily I haven't sold the "61-64" handle yet!! I'll keep it and now can search for a mate for it in similar condition. (Can use the old one until I find a better)