TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can you identify this VW Special Service Tool?
BulliBill Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Unless one already exists, I thought a thread about marked or obvious VW Special Service Tools with unknown descriptions or unknown applications would be helpful to those of us who have tools in our collections that we need more info on. If you can help to identify the tools or their applications, that would be helpful to all. I'll start it off with...

I have this plier made by Matra. It has the marking "VW #135". Looks like when you squeeze the handles together the ends of this tool spread apart, so I believe that this opens something, like apreading apart a "C" clip or ?

Anyone know what this is, what it was made to work on? Any evidence of this tool in any VW factory tool books or repair manuals? I couldn't find it in my VW Special Service Tools manual.

Bill

BulliBill Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:44 am

Wow, six years and no one knows what the above tool application is?

Bill

easy e Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 pm

I read they were made for the mortuary industry... position them at the cadaver's central incisors & pry the cadaver's mouth open... flip the bail over on the end... and then it'd secure the mouth open & let the mortician get at the molars / gold in dental work.

easy e Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

It's located in the tool listing around torsion arm & brake items.

My guess would be that it's to spread the brake shoes.... for either putting them on... or taking them off.

Maybe it let you kind of put the shoes up there with the springs on... then spread them out with the pliers, over the adjusters... or brake cyl.

BulliBill Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Evan,

I'm not sure which of your replies is more correct, but you had me howling with the first one! Next time I have a drum off, I'll have to try to see how VW#135 by Matra might work in there. Or next time I'm, in a mortuary...

I'm just amazed that I can't find any documentation in any Special Service Tool books or theSamba.com and the applications for this particular old tool. Perhaps Matra made it to service some other make of European car, but if so, then why the "VW' in the tool number?

The mystery continues...

Bill Bowman