TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Bring-A-Trailer Vans Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
dobryan Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:59 am

jimf909 wrote: Up $4K since you posted. This will be interesting to watch since the last few hours sometimes brings a number of bids.

It has really not gotten much activity. There will be the usual lurkers bidding at the end. I'll be watching it.

4Gears4Tires Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:31 am

Wow that is literally exactly the van I want to build. I should just buy that instead of wasting all my hours and dollars.

:x

dobryan Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:21 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: Wow that is literally exactly the van I want to build. I should just buy that instead of wasting all my hours and dollars.

:x

My guess is that it has not met the reserve at the current price of $19k. We'll see.

joetiger Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Whoa...

SOLD FOR $33,250

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-syncro-weekender/

dobryan Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:45 pm

joetiger wrote: Whoa...

SOLD FOR $33,250

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-syncro-weekender/

Yep and the sale price went up $12,000 in the last few minutes....

MayorMcCheese Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:49 pm

wow that's weird

Squidfish Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am

joetiger wrote: Whoa...

SOLD FOR $33,250

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-syncro-weekender/

I was thinking it would go for $24-26k range...whoa indeed!

markswagen Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:36 am

this one now lives in san diego, i believe.

jimf909 wrote: Interesting...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-...sJW0gMVeGU




coqwesty Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:43 am

This one is closing on BaT today -

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-11/

Currently at $7K and not much interest based on the limited postings and while it does have some issues, would likely serve as a good starter van for someone.

EDIT - UPDATE: ....and sold for $20K!

Squidfish Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:11 pm

coqwesty wrote:

EDIT - UPDATE: ....and sold for $20K!

Yowza, I just checked the listing and pictures, owner scored on the sales end! :shock:

joyfulpursuit Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:22 pm

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-10/





Has some goodies. Repaint looks slightly off from what factory Orly Blue Metallic [9048] should look like :(. High miles. I'm thinking this will probably go to about $20k? Lots of bids already. Then again, I know Vanagons don't fare too well on BaT.

I'm on the hunt for this exact spec. A late model Westy camper in OBM with the goodies this one has. But some of the negatives are a bit too much for me to bid.

4Gears4Tires Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:10 am

Why do you care about the miles?

At 249k the entire thing has been gone through at least 3x. Honestly, a Vanagon with 130k miles scares me more than 249k. A Vanagon for sale with 130k has 50k miles of deferred maintenance. 249k miles shows an owner than is serious about their vehicle.

dobryan Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:22 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: Why do you care about the miles?

At 249k the entire thing has been gone through at least 3x. Honestly, a Vanagon with 130k miles scares me more than 249k. A Vanagon for sale with 130k has 50k miles of deferred maintenance. 249k miles shows an owner than is serious about their vehicle.

Unfortunately there is no mention of an engine or transmission rebuild in the description.... could be a lot of $$$ to be spent very soon after purchase.

Tobias Duncan Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:51 pm

joyfulpursuit wrote: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-10/





Has some goodies. Repaint looks slightly off from what factory Orly Blue Metallic [9048] should look like :(. High miles. I'm thinking this will probably go to about $20k? Lots of bids already. Then again, I know Vanagons don't fare too well on BaT.

I'm on the hunt for this exact spec. A late model Westy camper in OBM with the goodies this one has. But some of the negatives are a bit too much for me to bid.


Here is the book value on that van


https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1991/Volkswagen/Vanagon/GL-Camper/Values

joetiger Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 am

It might sit at that price until the last couple of hours and shoot up, the way they've been going lately...Although those were Syncros.

My brother in Louisiana actually kinda/sorta has his eye on this one. They're pretty rare in that part of the country so that might also be part of what's keeping the price down a bit. Not to mention the relatively heavy oil stains on the engine & trans. Rear main maybe?

syncro surf Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 am

dobryan wrote:
Unfortunately there is no mention of an engine or transmission rebuild in the description.... could be a lot of $$$ to be spent very soon after purchase.

Looks a little tired - copied from comments:

@rustyroters It is a cool vehicle. FYI, I recently had a local garage perform compression test.
Results:
Cyl#1: 120 psi
Cyl#2: 135 psi
Cyl#3: 115 psi
Cyl#4: 125 psi

jimf909 Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:24 pm

It's an interesting van.

- resprayed but they didn't weld the holes where the body cladding was removed from the front doors
- correct bumpers replaced with steel bumpers
- I didn't look extensively, but the photos of the seams look pretty good
- It very well may need a $4K trans rebuild and new motor/conversion soon or $10K - $25K of work depending on choices made
- inop A/C is lame, esp. with the belt on the compressor
- the repeated claims of MB wheels confuses me, they look like GW copies but I'm no expert

Vans like this make truly clean vans very desirable. One needs patience to skip these to wait for the stock, clean van.

joyfulpursuit Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:01 pm

$20k, I was right on the money :P

Not worth it at that price IMO... $15k+ worth of work involved.

JEL91Westy Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:11 pm

IMHO Looked like a good serviceable van that will eventually need body work and probably a rebuild, but looks like it is ready to go in the short term. Perfect? No, but certainly usable and not overly neglected. Maybe not a steal, but examples with this little rust underneath are getting much harder to find.

syncro surf Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:49 am

Let's see where this one goes:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-volkswagen-...2021-02-06



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group