TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: fueel gage in lowerd bus
[email protected] Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:50 pm

i reacently lowerd my 65 bus and when i was finished my fuel gage said i have a full taink. the gage works (the needel moves when i turn the key) but always says i have a full taink. my bus sits a little lower in the back, could this change it that much? can the floating thing be stuck?
Please help I'm tired of wateing for a buddy to bring me a can on the side of the freeway!!

[email protected] Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:20 am

Could be a stuck sender or the sender wire shorted to ground. A short to ground on the sender wire to the gauge will cause it to read full all the time. Disconnect the sender wire from the gauge and the tank. Then with an ohm meter check for a short to ground. Either end (gauge or sender) will tell you if you have a short. If you don't have an ohm meter the the poor mans way is disconnect the same way and hook a test light to a hot then touch the probe to the wire. If it lights up you have a short. If it does not light up then you have a gauge or sender issue. Also keep track of when you fill up (note mileage). 10.5 gallon tank X 24mpg = 252 miles per tank......no gauge means fill up at 180 miles......no side of the freeway campouts.