TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: day time running lights
[email protected] Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:39 pm

i think it would be bitchen to make the small lights inside my headlight buckets into daytime running lights (on when ever the key is turned) where should i connect the hot wire to??

i have a 65 with a 12v conversion.

and what were those oridgnally for??

UZI Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:01 pm

those lights are parking lights and should work at the first position of on for the headlights. if they dont work, replace the bulbs, check the grounds (i put an extra ground wire on all the lights) and clean up the contacts. as for the hotwire, i dunno

jvigil Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:51 pm

if you have a modern radio, there is a wire that is for sending up motorized antennas. and most likely you dont have one. thats usually how people hook up amplifiers to turn on. otherwise you would have to get some kind of relay/switch that would splice one wire to 12v and the other into the ignition....im no electrician...ive just burned a few things up here and there. jake.

Andrew Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:33 pm

If you want them to be on whenever the car is on, just wire them to the on position of the ignition switch. That way, whenever the ignition is in the 'on' position, you're parking(now running) lights are on.

Andrew
'58 Panel Bus
'60 European Beetle
'67 Deluxe Bus

[email protected] Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:16 pm

i did the halogen 6v h4 conversion on my panel and they have city lights that plug into them. They are a dimly lit bulb that glows rather than shines. It is definately a cool sight seeing a vintage vw with glowing headlight buckets.

[email protected] Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:19 pm

I believe that the wires for those bulbs are black with either a white or a green stripe, dont remember, and they plug into the headlight switch. I agree, put it on the ignition switch with a twin spade set-up. It shouldn't be too much voltage, but you do want to check your bulbs and make sure that when the 12v conversion was done, they did convert the parking light bulbs too. most people just disconnect the wire and forget about the lights.
Later
Mike Hanson
'57 panel
'79 westy
'95 jetta