TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
GreenbajaMachine Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:20 pm

im not sure wat type no theres already mounts just out them on

dirtkeeper Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Questions .

1. How much travel beyond the maximum suspension travel should a shock have? My kyb shocks extend to within 1/2" of there max travel. Ok or not?

2. Is it of any importance to use the the range of travel of a particular shock? For example is there a problem using a shock that has a lot more travel available then your suspension uses?

3. shock angle? I assume it is best to place a shock as much in line with the travel direction of the suspension as possible. So the rear shocks should be nearly vertical but with the top leaned forward a bit?

4. gas vs oil vs? I'm guessing my kyb gas adjust are some type of gas? or plain air? and guessing a gas shock might be slightly harsher ride then an oil ,fluid?

GreenbajaMachine Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 am

i had kybs i took them off they were about 22 to 23 inch and the procomps are 21 inch

thext94 Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 am

dirtkeeper wrote: Questions .

1. How much travel beyond the maximum suspension travel should a shock have? My kyb shocks extend to within 1/2" of there max travel. Ok or not?

2. Is it of any importance to use the the range of travel of a particular shock? For example is there a problem using a shock that has a lot more travel available then your suspension uses?

3. shock angle? I assume it is best to place a shock as much in line with the travel direction of the suspension as possible. So the rear shocks should be nearly vertical but with the top leaned forward a bit?

4. gas vs oil vs? I'm guessing my kyb gas adjust are some type of gas? or plain air? and guessing a gas shock might be slightly harsher ride then an oil ,fluid?

I can answer your #3: That's correct. If you follow the swinging motion of yout trailing arm, obviously you can't have the shock at the perfect angle at all times because the arm is rotating. But nearly vertical with the top leaned forward is the best position for shock operation. My friends class 1 buggy runs his front shocks at crazy forward angles. It's all about what path the trailing arms follow

Adventurer Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Anybody have detailed pics of their front sus, limit strap set up?

I dont really want to take my front end apart to attach the hooks. Its mostly a time thing but also I figure Im not going to compress my sus all the way since its just an off road cruiser, but I probably have a better chance at having stress on the shocks in decompression from sudden potholes and stuff.

What do you guys think is the best option?

chubby53 Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:08 am

Okay i have a question that's probably been asked several times. What would be a good affordable shock for the weekend warrior baja that has a stock suspension setup that is lifted? front and rear.

Adventurer Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:13 pm

chubby53 wrote: Okay i have a question that's probably been asked several times. What would be a good affordable shock for the weekend warrior baja that has a stock suspension setup that is lifted? front and rear.

body lift or cut and turn?

with the cut and turn you will need slightly longer shocks for the front


I run KYB gas-adjust kg4520 front and kg4521 back but i have lift spindles so the shock size stays the same as stock

all together it was probably $150 for all 4 corners

dirtkeeper Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:58 pm

chubby53 wrote: Okay i have a question that's probably been asked several times. What would be a good affordable shock for the weekend warrior baja that has a stock suspension setup that is lifted? front and rear.

I think the stock kyb gas adjusts are a good deal. Mine fit. and use nearly all of the travel but have a bit left. On the rear with a 3/8 notch in the plates i have moved my lower shock mount up about an inch ( cut the bottom and drilled a new mount hole). the kybs still have another 1/2" of travel left but figure they wouldn't be long enough if the mount wasn't moved. but should be long enough if you haven't notched the plates.

skeleton0131 Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey guys new here. but just got back from my desert trip in my baja bug and my suspension blows..kybs in front, bilstein in back but im looking to upgrade the front to fox 2.0x 10" coilovers and was wondering if i can take out the kybs and bolt those in

The Phil Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 pm

skeleton0131 wrote: Hey guys new here. but just got back from my desert trip in my baja bug and my suspension blows..kybs in front, bilstein in back but im looking to upgrade the front to fox 2.0x 10" coilovers and was wondering if i can take out the kybs and bolt those in

Is it a stock front end?

skeleton0131 Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 pm

^ya gas tank up front and everything just have a 3" body lift

Adventurer Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 pm

skeleton0131 wrote: ^ya gas tank up front and everything just have a 3" body lift

what year bug?
Is it a ball joint front end or a link-king pin front end?

These are determining factors

I would say that if you are going to put coil-overs on you will need to fabricate mounts for them.

skeleton0131 Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Adventurer wrote: skeleton0131 wrote: ^ya gas tank up front and everything just have a 3" body lift

what year bug?
Is it a ball joint front end or a link-king pin front end?

These are determining factors

I would say that if you are going to put coil-overs on you will need to fabricate mounts for them.

1965 link pink front end..i want to keep the front hood how it is cuz i like the classic look of opening the front hood but i think i might have to go with the front one piece

The Phil Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 pm

You haven't got to go with a one piece. People go with those to get a lighter front end.

It looks like from your pictures that you have a front torsion bar. I'm thinking that might have something to do with your ride comfort for off roading. I have bilsteins in the rear, and KYB's up front, same as you and I can't really complain about its off road comfort. I can comfortably cruise about 25 mph depending on the terrain.

skeleton0131 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:13 pm

ya im just gonna let my dad decide on that one..and 25mph on 2 foot whoops kinda kills haha but i do haul ass in the washes :)

heywebonya Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Would air shocks be useful to adjust the ride from road to off-road? Or are they mostly for improving weight carrying capacity?

Thanks

The Phil Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:45 pm

skeleton0131 wrote: ya im just gonna let my dad decide on that one..and 25mph on 2 foot whoops kinda kills haha but i do haul ass in the washes :)

I made a goof for you. I didn't mean the torsion bar, I meant the sway bar. I'm an idiot at times. :?

Remove the sway bar and see if that helps your off roading any. It's a free, limited time ordeal. It won't hurt anything.

Dave24 Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 am

heywebonya wrote: Would air shocks be useful to adjust the ride from road to off-road? Or are they mostly for improving weight carrying capacity?
Thanks :wink:

KrAzY-BaJa Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:45 pm

skeleton0131 wrote: ya im just gonna let my dad decide on that one..and 25mph on 2 foot whoops kinda kills haha but i do haul ass in the washes :) coilovers are not going to help you out in woops with A stock link pin beam/arms

skeleton0131 Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 pm

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: skeleton0131 wrote: ya im just gonna let my dad decide on that one..and 25mph on 2 foot whoops kinda kills haha but i do haul ass in the washes :) coilovers are not going to help you out in woops with A stock link pin beam/arms

So what would you do?



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group