TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
ryno496 Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:35 pm

qwerty, that is definetly better. the kybs ride really goood and seem very sturdy

Godleigh Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:46 am

I don't want anything to do with torsion bars in the rear. Is this possible with coil overs?

thext94 Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 am

You can get a torsion delete kit if you're going to run quality coilovers (meaning no cheap EMPI coilovers.) If you're running coilovers you aren't going to need torsions anymore.

ryno496 Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:06 pm

so im thinkng about going through the car to the cage for my rear shocks. what are some measurements that should be taken in when making the mount?

Dave24 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Placing this here for reference.

Stingray250 wrote: Life's little victories... man, ya just gotta luv it when a plan comes together... how putting something so simple together as a shock seal could be so rewarding... yet so challenging... well I guess you'd have to have done it to know how it feels... and for all those that wondered how they were gonna seal them shocks???

Well here ya have it!

1- 12"x12"x1/8" aluminum plate.
32- stainless sheet screws.
1- 12"x12" piece of buna rubber from Grainger online.
12 pack of beer... some good music... and Shazaam!

Shock seals...

qwerty8669 Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 am

Dave24 wrote: Placing this here for reference.

Stingray250 wrote: Life's little victories... man, ya just gotta luv it when a plan comes together... how putting something so simple together as a shock seal could be so rewarding... yet so challenging... well I guess you'd have to have done it to know how it feels... and for all those that wondered how they were gonna seal them shocks???

Well here ya have it!

1- 12"x12"x1/8" aluminum plate.
32- stainless sheet screws.
1- 12"x12" piece of buna rubber from Grainger online.
12 pack of beer... some good music... and Shazaam!

Shock seals...

Link to original post please? Really would like to see this build.......gonna try the search again

Dave24 Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Didn't see a build thread... plucked the pics from this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497152

You could PM the OP of ^^ that thread, and ask if he has one?

qwerty8669 Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:33 am

are those regular kyb gas a just shocks ? they look bigger and taller than the one i saw for VW on the website i was gonna order from..............

Dave24 Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 am

KYB makes shocks in all shapes and sizes, for many different cars/trucks/applications... not just the "standard" VW sizes. :wink:

qwerty8669 Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Dave24 wrote: KYB makes shocks in all shapes and sizes, for many different cars/trucks/applications... not just the "standard" VW sizes. :wink:

yeah figured as much, would i end up with a "stronger" shock if i ordered one for a heavier vehicle and put it under my vw ?

would it mount to the stock locations ? ( not cutting the body on my baja )

dirtkeeper Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 pm

On the front end I’m putting together my shock travel is from 12 ¼ “ to 17 ½” The stock kyb 4520 travel is 17.32 to 12.01

I’m just just beyond the upper limit and at the lower, I could have set my stops to accommodate them but I didn’t want to be at the limit of the shocks anyway.

What kind of front shocks are people running besides kybs. ? the fox class 11 style besides being way out of my price range only collapses to 12.5 inches

the Bilstein B46-1085 class 11 goes from 11.96 “ to 18.58 which seems just about right .

any others?

by the way the ones mentioned earlier, the pro comp es 9000 has a range of 14.82” to 24.84 ” no wonder it bent the shock was stopping the suspension less than half way through the travel

mikedean58 Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 am

Evidently its illegal to ask about shocks anywhere but here. Good thing we have big brother. Wow, thought this site was for everything VW's. Not the case.

What is the point of a "sticky" anyway? Didn't have the answer to my question in it, so why post it there? They seem to be a better place to compile general information or pictures, not ask new questions.

Sorry if it inconveniences anyone that a post is made that may be redundant but many people haven't been members of this site as long as others nor do they spend hours on here searching through years of past posts. If it really bothers you, don't read the post. Simple.

dirtkeeper Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:46 am

mikedean58 wrote: Evidently its illegal to ask about shocks anywhere but here. Good thing we have big brother. Wow, thought this site was for everything VW's. Not the case.

What is the point of a "sticky" anyway? Didn't have the answer to my question in it, so why post it there? They seem to be a better place to compile general information or pictures, not ask new questions.

Sorry if it inconveniences anyone that a post is made that may be redundant but many people haven't been members of this site as long as others nor do they spend hours on here searching through years of past posts. If it really bothers you, don't read the post. Simple.

i'd kinda agree. seems it would be best if we had some good shock information from a thread that it then be put here. I have found few answers or responses in this thread. And as good as some of the stickys are, like the first few pages of the transmission one, they start to stray and become cumbersome to find info.

as far as your shock issue mikedean i only know about the ball joint stuff. But here is a good link to all the sizes etc of kyb shocks

http://www.kyb.com/technical/documents/ShockDimensionsSecured.pdf

Dave24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 pm

mikedean58 wrote: Evidently its illegal to ask about shocks anywhere but here. Good thing we have big brother. Wow, thought this site was for everything VW's. Not the case.

Sorry if it inconveniences anyone that a post is made that may be redundant but many people haven't been members of this site as long as others nor do they spend hours on here searching through years of past posts. If it really bothers you, don't read the post. Simple. No "big brother wow". Just a sticky to ask questions about SHOCKS, and to keep it centralized so, when your question is answered, it's here for easy reference fo others, and easy for you to find in the future... rather than being buried in the countless threads. No offense intended, just trying to be helpful to you and others who might need the info/answers you seek. :)

67bugz Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 pm

question im going to try and go thing front spindles and arms in the front, and rotate the spring plate or however you say it in the rear to achieve the same amount of lift, not going crazy baja or anything yet just taking it slow. any recommendations on which shock to go with? its going to be like 2.5" higher than stock.

Dave24 Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:03 pm

67bugz wrote: question im going to try and go thing front spindles and arms in the front, and rotate the spring plate or however you say it in the rear to achieve the same amount of lift, not going crazy baja or anything yet just taking it slow. any recommendations on which shock to go with? its going to be like 2.5" higher than stock. I have thing spidles and arms on my Baja... the front actually raised the front end 3". I use FOX res. BJ shocks up there, and they work great. The 3" lift was achieved w/o any cut and turn. :D

dirtkeeper Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

67bugz wrote: question im going to try and go thing front spindles and arms in the front, and rotate the spring plate or however you say it in the rear to achieve the same amount of lift, not going crazy baja or anything yet just taking it slow. any recommendations on which shock to go with? its going to be like 2.5" higher than stock.

I would put it together, and put stops on to protect your balljoints... then measure the travel you need.

I just put mine together and with the max ball joint travel its slightly longer...1/2" than the stock Kyb gas adjust which are really reasonable price ($50 each)and decent.

I am going with the bilstein 6100 which is a little bit longer and still a good price , $100 each. The FOX was over $200 each ..beyond my budget.. even though they are a local company.

Dave24 Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 pm

dirtkeeper wrote: 67bugz wrote: question im going to try and go thing front spindles and arms in the front, and rotate the spring plate or however you say it in the rear to achieve the same amount of lift, not going crazy baja or anything yet just taking it slow. any recommendations on which shock to go with? its going to be like 2.5" higher than stock.

I would put it together, and put stops on to protect your balljoints... then measure the travel you need.

I just put mine together and with the max ball joint travel its slightly longer...1/2" than the stock Kyb gas adjust which are really reasonable price ($50 each)and decent.

I am going with the bilstein 6100 which is a little bit longer and still a good price , $100 each. The FOX was over $200 each ..beyond my budget.. even though they are a local company. I ran a wanted ad on this site, and got my front FOX shocks in perfect near-new cond. for $150/pair... delivered. :D

67bugz Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:45 pm

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORvh.asp?Series_Index=Q2&Length_Index=7Q6&Manf=All&SubChar=Q
which one of these would be right? im sorry but i have no idea how to find out which shock i need? and what about the rear?

dirtkeeper Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:41 pm

67bugz wrote: http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORvh.asp?Series_Index=Q2&Length_Index=7Q6&Manf=All&SubChar=Q
which one of these would be right? im sorry but i have no idea how to find out which shock i need? and what about the rear?

I think any of the first four will work on a bug. I'm gonna use the cut and turn B46-0493VW because it has a bit more travel. Mine measures out 12.25 " to 17.5 " travel.