TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: 71 HighRoof Panel Complete Camper Cabinet Build (pic heavy) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
skid Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Awesome bus, great carpentry and damn those bass guitars look great.

Jeff Power Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks :D

Rick, you aint kidding that things hard to photograph! And not only from a color perspective, but also from a SIZE perspective. This sucker's HUGE!!! Is it going to be ready by NDBS? You've got until April. :D

peaceful warrior Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Jeff Power wrote: Thanks :D

Rick, you aint kidding that things hard to photograph! And not only from a color perspective, but also from a SIZE perspective. This sucker's HUGE!!! Is it going to be ready by NDBS? You've got until April. :D

Really nice! Great work inside and out.
Jeff, I wish you were closer, I would have you do mine. :wink:

Jeff Power Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 am

peaceful warrior wrote: Jeff Power wrote: Thanks :D

Rick, you aint kidding that things hard to photograph! And not only from a color perspective, but also from a SIZE perspective. This sucker's HUGE!!! Is it going to be ready by NDBS? You've got until April. :D

Really nice! Great work inside and out.
Jeff, I wish you were closer, I would have you do mine. :wink:

The 69 Riviera? I wish I was closer too, I'd love to work on that bus. :)

porschebug Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Jeff Power wrote: Thanks :D

Rick, you aint kidding that things hard to photograph! And not only from a color perspective, but also from a SIZE perspective. This sucker's HUGE!!! Is it going to be ready by NDBS? You've got until April. :D



All systems are go, I'm changing my plan of attack. Get the transmission and motor in, I think it's a plan to strive to get to that show 8)

porschebug Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 am

Here's an update on the bus - I've been working every weekend + my vacation on this project.

The first photo is in the wrecking yard the day before it was slated to be crushed:


Here it is 90% done:


Here's the engine right out of the bus:


And the engine now. I did all the rebuild, powder coating and the Gator Guard in the engine bay.


More detail of the engine bay


New CV velocity joints & transmission gone through

porschebug Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:24 am

Here's some more...

I designed & had a friend fabricate the front spare tire mount.


Here's the tire mount on the bus, notice it does not touch the body. I powder coated the bumper and the tire mount.


Rear bumper & trailer hitch powder coated to match the bus. The gray film is coming off the back window, you can't see my dog's butt when were going down the road :lol:


Here's some of the interior, it's brown tweed & brown vinyl. Works well with the wood Jeff put in and all the yellow exterior.



I'm paying a lot of attention to detail on the wheel wells

secretsubmariner Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:55 am

Wow, this bus is fantastic. Compliments to the owner AND the woodworker. B-E-A-YOOTYFUL!

Bala Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Very nice! Have you been able to take it out for any camping yet?

samwise Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:46 pm

porschebug wrote: Here's some more...

I designed & had a friend fabricate the front spare tire mount.


Here's the tire mount on the bus, notice it does not touch the body. I powder coated the bumper and the tire mount.



That's great! I wonder if it could be adjusted to work with a late Bay front bumper and the deformation panel behind :-k

Beautiful bus! Love that it has the full-height sliding door with the extension piece! Must be a nice amount of head room in there!

porschebug Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Bala wrote: Very nice! Have you been able to take it out for any camping yet?

Nope, no camping yet. I've been getting it ready for Bug Jam & Bulli Brigade, that will be the maiden voyage. Quite frankly, in south FL, it's been pretty hot for camping lately :shock:

porschebug Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:37 pm

[quote="samwise"] porschebug wrote: Here's some more...


That's great! I wonder if it could be adjusted to work with a late Bay front bumper and the deformation panel behind :-k

Beautiful bus! Love that it has the full-height sliding door with the extension piece! Must be a nice amount of head room in there!

Absolutely - if you want to spend an afternoon, take a big piece of cardboard and make a template, you'd have no problem. If you'll notice the bumper horns, where they're prone to rust, we took off the rubber pads, welded the holes and had them Rhinolined. Makes a world of difference.

samwise Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:05 pm

porschebug wrote: Absolutely - if you want to spend an afternoon, take a big piece of cardboard and make a template, you'd have no problem.

Using a profile gauge that is deep enough, I suppose

TurboHans Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Amazing work Jeff! :shock:

Looks like we gotta talk. 8)

Stuartzickefoose Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 pm

what year is that thing? the lights in the front, and the bumper combo confuzzle me...:(

Jes67 Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 pm

As a fello highroof owner,, I've loved what you've done to yours.

Very nice, great save. :wink:

porschebug Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

TurboHans wrote: Amazing work Jeff! :shock:

Looks like we gotta talk. 8)

Yeah, you won't regret talking to Jeff :)

porschebug Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Stuartzickefoose wrote: what year is that thing? the lights in the front, and the bumper combo confuzzle me...:(

Hi, this is Rick's wife...don't worry, the whole van confuzzles me :shock:
(It's cool though)

Rick says:
The headlights are definitely European, the parking lights are contained inside them...another oddball thing the driver's side came with no vent window, I had to convert it over. It's a 1971. I'm gonna post later the birth certificate from Wolfsburg.

porschebug Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Jes67 wrote: As a fello highroof owner,, I've loved what you've done to yours.

Very nice, great save. :wink:

thanks! P.S. I think I saw a pic of your bus covered in snow, is that you?

Jes67 Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

porschebug wrote: Jes67 wrote: As a fello highroof owner,, I've loved what you've done to yours.

Very nice, great save. :wink:

thanks! P.S. I think I saw a pic of your bus covered in snow, is that you?

This one. :wink: Yes sir.





Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group