TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mt Withington Snow adventure. Feb 3rd-5th New Mexico Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
big bus mike Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 am

You're all invited to the 1st annual Mount Withington Snow adventure.
It's 300+ miles through rugged snow-covered terrain in South-Central New Mexico.
Challenge yourself and your driving ability while simlutaniously driving through some of the best scenery our state has to offer.
Multiple water crossings, mud holes, snow covered "roads" and more await the fearless traveler.
We will be snow camping at least once on the trip, so come prepared.

For more details, please see the following link and join the conversation:

http://www.facebook.com/events/210454785698025/

hazetguy Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:32 am

sounds like a great trip! did something similar many years ago. truly impassable "roads" that look clear at lower elevations only to become buried deep with snow higher up, great views, cold cold cold, etc. bring a shovel!

p.s. your disgracebook link doesn't work, and no, i still won't sign up there.

kombisutra Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 am

Way to go Mike, will be looking forward to seeing your trip develop.

big bus mike Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks Jon and Brian.

The link works if you copy and paste the whole thing.

I can't make Shasta happen this year, so we're doing something similar A LOT closer to home.

Trailjunky Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:57 pm

hazetguy wrote: Did something similar many years ago.

I saved this pic 11/30/05. Its gotta be at least six years old. :wink: I joined in 05 and this pic was one of the first pics in my now very large photo collection of VWs taken off this site. This pic served as inspiration for several mountain bus adventures over the years in my bay. Kudos!

blitzkrieg59 Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 pm

VERY cool. I'm glad to see more of these SST type events popping up around the country. Can't wait to see the photos and read the trip report!

Clara Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Whoo - Hooo!!!!!!!!!
have fun and stay warm. :D

unclespanky Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 pm

I have family in New Mexico that won't be home for X-Mas. My head is now spinning with ideas about a bus trip!!

hazetguy Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Trailjunky wrote: hazetguy wrote: Did something similar many years ago.

I saved this pic 11/30/05. Its gotta be at least six years old.

that pic is at least 14 years old. i'd have to dig it out to find the exact date, but it was taken sometime in the late 1990's. that was on the way back down from the camping spot shown in the other pics, on mt. whithington. i just wish the roads would have been as clear as the pic Mike posted, we could have gotten a lot further up the mountain!

Manfred58sc Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Hmmm. That looks tempting, splits only or are fat chicks welcome?

big bus mike Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Manfred58sc wrote: Hmmm. That looks tempting, splits only or are fat chicks welcome?

The trip is open to all VW's. What you drive doesn't make you cool. I know some people who drive splits who are dicks.

Don't be a dick. Dicks will be sabotaged and left for chupacabra food.

big bus mike Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:59 pm

hazetguy wrote: i just wish the roads would have been as clear as the pic Mike posted, we could have gotten a lot further up the mountain!

The idea is to Crest the mountain in buses and board / tube / sled down. We'll see how that works out...

There IS a forest road that goes all the way to the top. It's listed as 10,119 feet. There's a fire lookout that I want to climb around in up there. We'll see how far we can go!

AlteWagen Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Any news on the route?

60 to the 52 or the 107?

big bus mike Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Starting at Bernardo, NM. Detailed, lamintated maps will be available at the starting point.

Buspilot67 Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Count me in!

AlteWagen Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Cant wait!!

AlteWagen Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:25 pm

With the trip giving some modivation, working on your ride in the cold alone busting knuckles is a drag.

I dont have a shop to offer a pre trip wrench-a-thon, but if anyone needs help getting their ride ready shoot me a PM and I will be glad to lend a hand.

billzer06 Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I hope this isn't one of those unacceptable questions to ask, but is anyone looking for a copilot on this trip? My split is in the paint shop and I doubt the engine in my bay would even make It the 6 hours to the starting point! I have always wanted to do the SST, and would absolutely LOVE to do this trip! If anyone wouldn't mind me tagging along, I'd drive down there for the weekend!

Next year we should do the west Texas edition! Hundreds of miles of straight highways, no turns, no altitude change whatsoever! Should prove to be a tough challenge! Who is in? :lol:

big bus mike Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm sure there's someone you can hitch a ride with. I might have a passenger seat open. All depends on if I can con someone into being a cameraman.

I also just picked up a wicked on-board air compressor and some tractor inner-tubes... Now all we need is a rope with a handle...

Stitch Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah Booooooooooooooy