TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
FoggyDesigns Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:56 pm

So I was fiddling with my steering wheel today, and these things fell out of the steering column :shock: If anyone could tell me what they are and where they go that would be great, as they are currently in a bag labeled mystery parts.

The bolt as a section cut out of the end of the treads like a self tapping screw.

70coupyel Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Spring for the turn signal switch.

scotty timmerman Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:51 pm

bolt might be one that holds column up.

FoggyDesigns Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Quote: Spring for the turn signal switch.

Quote: bolt might be one that holds column up. :shock:

that bolt might be important! and thanks for the info!

sellinmyG Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Calling in the experts!

I believe this is the last part I have from an old project car I bought, that I haven't already listed or sold. I want to say this is from the convertible top (it was a 1969), any ideas and how much it could potentially be worth would be great!

Loren Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes, those are convertible parts. I would think they would be worth $50-$75, maybe a little more to the righ buyer.

sellinmyG Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you for the clarification, Loren! 8)

oxsign Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 am

I've got a new one. Being in a rush I didn't see how this was wired up. Now I can't figure it out and i've fried 2 sets of points. Can anyone help out with a simple wire diagram maybe? The factory ones i've found don't include this piece.

It also comes with 2 barrel fuse holders as well. I'm just lost here and need help, thx.

Glenn Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 pm

It's a rear defroster relay.

Certainly nothing to do with the engine.

If you're burning points, you have them connected to the wrong side of the coil. The points should be to the negative (1) side. The positive (15) side goes to the ignition key.

oxsign Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Glenn wrote: It's a rear defroster relay.

Certainly nothing to do with the engine.

If you're burning points, you have them connected to the wrong side of the coil. The points should be to the negative (1) side. The positive (15) side goes to the ignition key. I'll double check that. I was thinking it was something else because of how & where it was mounted on the engine itself, lol. Thanks again.

Mark33563 Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 pm

You should not have a fuel filter there. Place it on the line between the tank and the pump...preferably not near the hot and sparking parts of the car. Between the tank and tunnel up front seems to be a good place.

Where you have it puts additional strain on an inherently weak part: carb intake pipe.

On a beetle the relay resides under the read seat. Not sure the correct location on a ghia. None of mine have had them.

Mark33563 Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:07 pm

The relay, at least on a '71 sedan, mounts to the engine bay firewall between the hinge and driver side fender. At least that is where it is located on the sedan I recently purchased.....

Altema Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Mark33563 wrote: The relay, at least on a '71 sedan, mounts to the engine bay firewall between the hinge and driver side fender. At least that is where it is located on the sedan I recently purchased.....
My '70 coupe has a mounting point there too, but I'm using for my bus blower control relays. The defroster is defunct and the wires were burnt, so I do without.

sellinmyG Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:19 am

I return to this thread in hopes of figuring out another part!

I believe that this part has something to do with air/heat. It looks like this is the metal tube that runs right where the interior bodywork begins to bend to accommodate for the wheel well (it stands vertical.)

I have no clue what it is or what it is called. Any guesses would be appreciated. :D

djway3474 Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:23 pm

sellinmyG wrote: I return to this thread in hopes of figuring out another part!

I believe that this part has something to do with air/heat. It looks like this is the metal tube that runs right where the interior bodywork begins to bend to accommodate for the wheel well (it stands vertical.)

I have no clue what it is or what it is called. Any guesses would be appreciated. :D

Looks like the steering column tube in the picture

sellinmyG Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:37 pm

djway3474 wrote: Looks like the steering column tube in the picture
edit: I found a picture of my exact part (steering column related) on TheSamba. Thanks for the clarification! :D

FAS Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:47 pm

THIS IS FOR OXSIGNS...that is the defroster relay and mine is mounted exactly the same as yours is. one fuse holder is for that; and the other one is for the backup lights.If you like I could send off a pict or a diagram of the wiring.mine's a 73.

sputnick60 Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm

I actually know what this part is and I know where it goes. It off my '66 cabrio. It is located on the side of the Cabrio frame just above the windows and behind the front bow. But where does one buy a replacement?

I've searched KGPR and the Euro Sites but nothing so far. Even asking Kevin Fergusson and Lars Neufer draws a blank so it's something not on the early cabrios.

Anybody?

Nicholas

Mark33563 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Nicholas,

that might be one of 'those' parts you have to fabricate because nobody repops them yet.

hey, you might have a niche market there... :)

jwold Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Tried HOG?