TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Awning sale question
r39o Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Is this awning on sale the same as the Bus Depot version?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1198890

http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp

purplepeopleeater Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Looks like it to me, I have one like that....makes me want a gutter mounted one real bad...I wish the dometic ones where still made :(

IdahoDoug Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 pm

FYI, the link you posted shows awnings for non-Vanagon buses. If its the same silver-on-the-inside as one of our standalone awnings, then I'd like to say that they give notably better shade. It's "black" shade vs most awnings where the sun kinda goes through the fabric and on a sunny day it is still squinty bright under them. On the non silver coated ones, the awning is lit up from the sun. Under our silver coated one, looking up at the awning and it's dark and the table and people are fully shaded. Much cooler, and more relaxing.

DougM

whafalia Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 pm

They both come from Pennsylvania

Timwhy Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:50 am

Looks the same to me! Do yourself a favor and get the larger of the two ex awnings from BD.
You'll wish that you had if you get the small one, the bigger of the two covers one end
of the rain gutter to the other. I found that the smaller one, it was harder to keep the sun
from hitting the sliding door when the sun was on it decline. With the edges out further
from the slider, it gave more sun protection to my fridge, just inside the slider.

Larger Ez awning

Smaller ez awning. You can see how much smaller this one really is.

tarandusVDub Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am

"If its the same silver-on-the-inside as one of our standalone awnings, then I'd like to say that they give notably better shade. It's "black" shade vs most awnings where the sun kinda goes through the fabric and on a sunny day it is still squinty bright under them. On the non silver coated ones, the awning is lit up from the sun. Under our silver coated one, looking up at the awning and it's dark and the table and people are fully shaded. Much cooler, and more relaxing." DougM

So is the BD one the coated one like you're describing doug?

joseph928 Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm

:bay_blue: Look to be the same. I have the bd one like it a lot ,since it cost about $900 less than brand f. But when I got mine I was able to order the vw jack post mount and the extra poles to make mine stand alone . Being able to use the jack post is real cool , makes it like the $1,000 ones at $900 less. But anyway thats one heck of a price! :D Just need to add, when free standing , yes I have to put big rocks at each leg, then it stays fine. Also when I use the jack points the awning will stay put even a moderate wind without using the guy ropes, with the ropes it will stay put in a heavy wind! :D

Timwhy Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:39 pm

After looking again at the web site and the pics, they do look exactly alike. The price is
right also!! Both of mine have a bluish tint on the underside of the awning and these look
like they do to. The sizes seem to match up as well. Go for it and let us know what you get?

r39o Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Timwhy wrote: Go for it and let us know what you get?
I am waiting for an email back from them about shipping.....

tarandusVDub Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Any folks familiar with the vendor? I haven't purchased from them before...

tarandusVDub Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Also, any idea of the jack point/wheel mount kit that BD sells would fit this? The vendor said it doesn't come with those options....

r39o Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:53 pm

SelectVWParts wrote: They look similar, but they're not the same. Bus Depot's can be setup to connect back to the vehicle and they claim theirs can also be used free standing. I would caution against doing that however, because even a slight wind could easily lift the canopy, if it's not tied or weighted down somehow.
This is the response I got from the advertiser.

I am thinking about the big one they have. How wrong can you go?

tarandusVDub Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 pm

but I LIKE that option!! :roll:

Timwhy Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

tarandusVDub wrote: but I LIKE that option!! :roll:

If the option is free standing, I wouldn't consider it with one of the BD awning either!
They will colapse in high winds attached to your van, I can't imagine what they would do
while free standing in the wind. I pretty much use only two guy ropes while set up, free
standing means, you'll use alot more. The underside of their awning looks the same as BD's,
so it probably will use their jack stands.

tarandusVDub Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

The BD ad looks like it has guy wires when attached to the van...that seems like a pretty good setup? yes, freestanding seems a bir risky. Do you have an awning setup you like?

joseph928 Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 pm

joseph928 wrote: :bay_blue: Look to be the same. I have the bd one like it a lot ,since it cost about $900 less than brand f. But when I got mine I was able to order the vw jack post mount and the extra poles to make mine stand alone . Being able to use the jack post is real cool , makes it like the $1,000 ones at $900 less. But anyway thats one heck of a price! :D Just need to add, when free standing , yes I have to put big rocks at each leg, then it stays fine. Also when I use the jack points the awning will stay put even a moderate wind without using the guy ropes, with the ropes it will stay put in a heavy wind! :D :bay_blue: Since I'm one of the few who has one another thing to add is I found the hard way that you need to put it together hanging on the side of the bus, due to the thin material, if you try to put it together on the ground you will rub holes in it. Like I did, also it is a good idea to put seam seal on it! :D