TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: anyone owned both a Bus Camper and a Vanagon Camper Page: 1, 2  Next
copescobra Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 pm

If anyone has owned both these I would love to know which one you kept or would keep?
Also like to know going forward for the next 5+ years which one would be a better value and perhaps less "trouble" to keep up. I only drive a camper about 5,000 miles a year at most. Usually go up and down the coast from Vancouver to Santa Monica so only a few big hills to conquer.

I guess a question that all can answer is what to expect to spend on an annual basis for upkeep over time assuming everything is in good shape but still mostly original ?

busdaddy Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Here's a good thread on the subject :wink:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5608240

VW Addict Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:15 pm

I've owned both. Your going to get a bias opinion on either one. Personally, I find Vanagon's ugly. But there are those who find them the opposite. I prefer a pre '79 bus... but then again, I prefer a pre '67 bus in compared to that!

Drive what you want to and carry a Muir book at all times. :D

BUSBOSS Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:31 pm

VW Addict wrote:
Drive what you want to and carry a Muir book at all times. :D

And bring colored pencils with you so you can color in the illustrations while you wait for the tow truck.

Carry a Bentley or stay home. :wink:

peaceful warrior Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I own both and will be keeping both! Reasons, I can afford it... :lol:
Actually like them for different reasons.

Desertbusman Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:22 pm

busdaddy wrote: Here's a good thread on the subject :wink:

And of course this one also. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492536
Maybe there are more somewhere.

busdaddy Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Desertbusman wrote: busdaddy wrote: Here's a good thread on the subject :wink:

And of course this one also. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492536
Maybe there are more somewhere.
Oh there are, seems we've got a bit of buyers remorse or just can't make up our minds. If you have to think about something this hard maybe it's something you shouldn't be doing it at all?

curtis4085 Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:07 pm

You will have more fun in the pre 79 buses for sure and just my two cents Vangons are a bit ugly. Sorry. I like seeing them but would not own one.

Esher127 Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:55 am

I'd rather look at a Bay Window.
I'd rather camp in a Vanagon.

*shrug*

bigbore Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 am

from what you wanted in your last thread you should of not sold the euro van and gone rid of all the others.

Tom Powell Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Esher127 wrote: I'd rather look at a Bay Window.
I'd rather camp in a Vanagon.

I'd rather go uphill in a Vanagon.
I'd rather winter sleep in my insulated Bay Window.

Aloha
tp

notchboy Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I've been on the hunt for a Vanagon as of late. Not as a replacement to my 77 westy but more as a commuter.

I like the Syncro and the ability to put in a 2.5 Subby conversion. I've always thought modern accouterments in a bay window look out of place. But in a Vanagon-game on!

bigbore Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 pm

The syncro sounds cool till you start finding out what it takes to keep one going. the tranys are a nightmare I know I rebuild them they cost a fortune and alot of the part are no longer available. I just don't know why anyone would want one but if you got the money go for it.

Esher127 Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Yeah, I love the IDEA of owning a Syncro. However you have to be Bruce Wayne money to deal with the reality of owning a Syncro.

innocenti Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 am

hi as mentioned above each have merits of its own . i own splitty ,bay and a vanagon love them all :D :D :D
can't have enough of a good thing as long as its a vw badge up front .
cheers steve

Japhy Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:20 am

I have a 79 camper and an 85 Vgon. I love them both! If I HAD to sell one it would be the Vgon. I would miss it very much though.

copescobra Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:29 pm

thanks all for the input. I is alot to think about and reality set in about only being able to keep one of them so I can support the upkeep on the other.

LouisR Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I know just sell both and start all over again. :lol:

donemoto Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:54 pm

I've owned them all through the years.

Having kids and traveling, the Vanagon Camper ( both my 80 and 83) was the best for space and moving kids down the road.

My bay windows always got us where we going in style, albeit, a bit cramped with a dog and 5 kids on the road.

If I could still have only one; I would keep my 58 tin-flap-pop-up camper with wood and Screaming red interior and 40 horse motor. Used to drive cross country at 50 miles per hour all day. Miss the small rear window and side doors.

You will find your own in time. :)

TopBud Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:11 am

I have a 65 panel, 86 syncro and a 74 westy. I have had the westy for 12+ years. I am currently travelling in the westy because I know I can fix it with parts on hand. I drive the syncro in the winter. It's actually not to expensive to fix if you keep on it. I bought it for $500 and only big fix was the upgrade to OME shocks and springs. I also won't drive it outside of AAA plus free tow zone :oops: