TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heat exchanger and exhaust removal Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
atmellovw Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm

So, I am on to my next winter bus project, i.e., to remove the heat exchangers as I suspect I have an exhaust leak (at least on the right side). While I am at it I plan to remove the fan shroud to replace my leaky oil cooler seals too. I have read a number of threads on the topic. I am wondering what are my chances of removing all 8 exhaust nuts without any hitches like having to replace studs or effing up my heads? I am soaking them with PB Blaster and will clean them up as best I can first. Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

bsairhead Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Do not get in a rush. PB blast is good so is time and heat. If they do not brake free at first try tightening than loosening back and forth. If all this fails cut the nuts off and chase the threads.

75bus4/me Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Just did my driver’s side. BP blast for 3 days and tight loose back and forth worked.

420GOAT Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm

tap on the nut /stud after pb blasting. just a minute or so each.

atmellovw Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 pm

So I am making good progress on this project just working a little each night in between running kids around. I have everything removed for the fan housing area (alternator, fan, therm cable, tin, etc...) I have new exhaust studs (just in case) and self locking nuts, new oval copper exhaust seals, oil cooler seals, etc...Currently the exhaust bolts are soaking in PB Blaster but I was able to loosen them each a bit and then gave them another dose of PB, I'm in no hurry.

But I was wondering why the good folks at VW did not make it so you could remove the fan housing without removing the exhaust? Seems to me that if the little covers (2) that are on TOP of the exchanger where they connect to the shroud where placed on the SIDE (towards the rear) you could then remove the shroud by pulling it back. Or the 4 fan shroud mounting holes could be slotted to allow you to lift enough to clear the exhaust and then back off? But I digress.....

EZ Gruv Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm

atmellovw wrote:

But I was wondering why the good folks at VW did not make it so you could remove the fan housing without removing the exhaust?

You can (I did), but it's better to do it right.

atmellovw Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

But I am looking for it to be easy! :D This time around, I wanted to remove the exhaust to fix a leak but for folks who just want to change oil cooler seals wouldn't it be nice?

Mr Gage Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:29 pm

The only problem I had with mine was the clamps at the very bottom under the mustash bar. The devil put them there, I swear he did, getting them off is semi hard, but getting new ones on in a sick joke.

P.s. Semi hard. hu hu hu

atmellovw Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Making progress an hour at a time. I have the fan shroud removed and looking forward to cleaning things up. The right heat exchanger was replaced at some point so it looks clean but the left despite its grubbiness is solid. Also, three of the four old copper exhaust seals were very stubborn and took a lot of work to get out!

Here is the "money shot". Any thoughts on the oil between between the head and jug on #4. Hoping it is from the oil cooler...I have good compression in that cylinder.

atmellovw Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 pm

This has me a bit baffled? On my #2 exhaust port there is a hole that looks to be there by design? In the hole there is a plug like thing that almost looks to have an allen type head? It is right on the mating surface where the copper ring goes. Sorry for the blurry pic, I have an ancient digital camera. Has anybody ever seen this before? Of course I am concerned as to how I can get a good seal.

EZ Gruv Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:02 pm

There should a a stud there that goes through the collar on the heat exchanger.

busdaddy Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:36 pm

EZ Gruv wrote: There should a a stud there that goes through the collar on the heat exchanger.
I think he's referring to the dark spot on the gasket surface at roughly 1:00.

I have no idea why that's there if it is a threaded hole, possibly a roadside fix for a casting flaw or eroded seal surface? Seems sketchy to me either way :?

atmellovw Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Yes Busdaddy, I am referring to the dark spot. Any ideas on a remedy other than replacing the whole head?

EZ...I have new studs, just haven't put them in yet. :)

busdaddy Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 pm

atmellovw wrote: . Any ideas on a remedy other than replacing the whole head?
None that I'd be confident recommending, welding would be my first choice but it depends alot on the overall health of the heads in general first.

atmellovw Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 pm

I year ya...it is just really odd. If someone did it purposefully I can not see what the purpose could possibly be. It is not threaded but the plug in there looks to be pressed in. Surprisingly it looks like the seal was fine prior to pulling it? Go figure...I'll have to sleep on it a while...

Wildthings Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Possibly a casting flaw of some kind. Someone may have tried to fill it with JB Weld or something.

germansupplyscott Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 am

I think the gasket got stuck and someone drilled a hole in the copper ring to get it out, and the drill 'slipped'. I would try to plug the hole with a lttle piece of metal, like a brass dowel.

jtauxe Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 am

Ya know, while you've got the shroud off would be a good time to replace the two oil gallery freeze plugs at that end of the engine. I say this because I didn't, and four months later I had to pull it all apart again to do it. Grrr.

Is this engine still in the vehicle?

Wildthings Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 am

[quote="jtauxe"]Ya know, while you've got the shroud off would be a good time to replace the two oil gallery freeze plugs at that end of the engine. I say this because I didn't, and four months later I had to pull it all apart again to do it. Grrr.

Is this engine still in the vehicle?[/quote

Not a bad idea, but for myself I don't like doing freeze plugs with the engine together unless under duress, like when I did one in a less than convenient spot in Mexico. I would advocate for doing a bit of extra peening around the plugs though as one can easily make it where the plugs are many times harder to remove by doing so.

atmellovw Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:14 pm

germansupplyscott wrote: I think the gasket got stuck and someone drilled a hole in the copper ring to get it out, and the drill 'slipped'. I would try to plug the hole with a lttle piece of metal, like a brass dowel.

I thought of this reason too Scott but I can't imagine why they went so deep? I was thinking of filling it as you suggest but I was thinking of using copper as it is malleable and I could use a punch to really get it formed in there...like filling a tooth!