TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: And this Just in From New Zealand
Wolfram Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravans-motorhomes/motorhomes/6-69-metres/auction-434799206.htm

Current exchange rate ~.78

Geoff
McLean VA

IdahoDoug Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 pm

In the software trade that is called "vaporware" (here's what our software will do for you....when we -cough- start writing it), and in the auto industry that is known as a "preliminary sketch". I'll be impressed if they release a photograph of a driving vehicle!!

Doug

240Gordy Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Trial balloon

$130,000 for the base model,
$25,000 for the extra drive axle,
But why would you want it?

j_dirge Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

IdahoDoug wrote: I'll be impressed if they release a photograph of a driving vehicle!!

Doug
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/skoda/auction-386873569.htm
Impressed yet?

Looks like the seller builds custom handicapped accessible vehicles.. and while the 3rd axle VW sounds a bit over the top, if his other listings are accurate/true.. looks like he could build the VW, too.

$130k is into the range of that shop in HellA that builds jeep C3Bs and FJs for Oil-rich Shieks, pro athletes, and the like..
http://icon4x4.com/

NZer Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 am

Even though Trade Me is New Zealand's version of ebay Im a bit sketchy in the fact that the person has only 1 feed back for the sale of a rusted out RR LSE! the other thing I dont like is that he is from Papakura City, not the best neighborhood in the Auckland area, and yes Auckland is where I used to live in NZ, and the only photos he has taken is of an over priced Fiat and Skoda listed since June 2011. Im guessing he is trying to get funding to build the next project. He has no web site listed and no way to see if he is Qualified to do such conversions. In NZ there are strict laws governing the modification of vehicles and certs that have to be gotten before the vehicle is allowed on the road.
The other thing that Im scratching my head about is how does a wheelchair bound person get into the upper bunk area in the pop top???

j_dirge Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 am

NZer wrote: Im guessing he is trying to get funding to build the next project. He has no web site listed and no way to see if he is Qualified to do suck conversions.
My thoughts, too.. probably trying to get a thing going on his own.. after working for someone else perhaps?
Quote:
The other thing that Im scratching my head about is how does a wheelchair bound person get into the upper bunk area in the pop top???
Maybe not for the wheelchair.. but for his/her kids, family.

My brother is not quite wheelchair bound.. but his mobility is pretty limited (neck injury) and worsening with age.
These projects always catch my eye.. but <gasp> the price range!.. even here in the states where certification is not as strict. $130k? Its a deal breaker for most people's budget... and insurance coverage is tighening down.

rubbachicken Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm

i'm not sure that the extra rear axle wold be driven ?
it would be a lot easier to do if it was not.
i'd have thought it would cost a lot more than $25k to engineer it to be 6x6