TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to know if align bore was done?
peasant Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2.1 wbx case and was wondering how to know if has had align bore done?
I did a search but just a few posts about where to get one done.

I think that it has because it is a rebuild and has the yellow sticker. I heard all the ones with the yellow sticker have been align bored.

What are some opinions on if this case is usable? Are bearings available, or only standard sizes?

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 pm

measure the bore and compare to specs. Do you have the main bearings that last ran in the case?

peasant Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 pm

yes, the bearings are still on the crank, only one of them is atill on each half of the case. To get the measurement should the case halves be attached?

Wildthings Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm

vanagonjetta wrote: yes, the bearings are still on the crank, only one of them is atill on each half of the case. To get the measurement should the case halves be attached?

The numbers on the bearings will tell you if it has been line bored or not.

peasant Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: measure the bore and compare to specs. Do you have the main bearings that last ran in the case?

I cannot find the specs for the case bores anywhere I have looked. I have looked in the bentley, another vanagon manual I have, and here on the samba. Do you know where I would be able to find them?

Wildthings wrote: The numbers on the bearings will tell you if it has been line bored or not.

The bearings say this on them:
The #1 number is 025 501D then is says Germany CdL
The #2 number is 025 531C
The #3 number is 025 561B Germany CdM
#4 doesn't say anything on it

The #1 and #2 do not seem to look terrible, I have an untrained eye though. The 3 and 4 are still on the crank. Just trying to figure out the most sensible solution. I would like to rebuild this case economically on a lower budget.

It would be my first rebuild and I would use it as a learning experience and mostly just use it around town. I have been tempted by a conversion but still have an affinity for the waterboxer and would use the learning experience to maybe build a better higher budget one in the future.

Thanks for any advice on the subject

tencentlife Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:10 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444444

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433174