TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gullwing door hinges
cimbriassracing Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:35 pm

hey guys i know this has been brought up a few times and it seemed to always go to the builder and his tastes....but i am wondering if anyone has or could take pictures of the gullwing door hinges on there vehicles. i am rebuilding a cimbria ss and working on getting everything buttoned up nice and neat but i need some solid hings for the gullwing doors. and im trying to avoid paying the 600$ for the gullwing kit found on annonymous websites...pictures would be great so i can shop around for something similar or try and fabricating some myself.

thank a ton guys!

Letterman7 Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 am

I'll post a few when I get a moment this week. It's not a Cimbria but the idea is the same. Really, to get a solid mount there should be a solid structure embedded into the fiberglass. On my Aquila (that I'll post the photos from) has a set of steel straps embedded into the headliner where the hinges are actually welded to. The door portion of the hinge is removable and adjustable to get the fit just so.

kazmij Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 am

I am very interested in this as well, my Aztec is going to need a better set up

Letterman7 Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:35 am

These probably won't be much help, but at least you'll get the idea of how this car is set up:

Pair of steel straps joining the hinge set on either door.

Note the strap goes into a pocket for the hinge. On another model I've seen, these straps were replaced or reinforced with a solid plate welded in the middle and glassed into place. That prevents the roof from flexing when both doors are opened. I may do that to this one as well.

unfortunate, but good shot of the hinge as it meets the door. The fiberglass has cracked and fallen off this hinge (was originally part of the door skin and encapsulated the hinge plate) as the PO twisted the door at one point and this hinge is bent.

Underneath the door - you can see the door hinge portion bolted to the embedded strap in the body. You can just make out how the rest of the hinge flap slips into a pocket in the door. I don't know what's holding that portion of the hinge in the door though - these doors are solidly glassed all the way around and I can't see above a certain point. I assume that they are probably bolted inside to a frame of some sort, but can't be sure.

Rick

cimbriassracing Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

thanks for the pictures rick...i appreciate the fast response as well...the pictures give me a great idea of what i can do with them...now its off to find a solid pair of hinges that will last a long time if glassed in...not that they need to be redone in a year or two...

also what projects are you working on? did you sell your green machine? i thought i seen it posted under someone else's name on your page.

Letterman7 Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:58 am

:D Yeah, the green and black Sterling is gone to a guy in Cleveland. Haven't heard from him since the sale years ago. I've got this Aquila and two other Sterlings in the garage at the moment... projects, projects!

dan macmillan Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

My Bradley GT2

SBD Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Just an FYI, If you're looking for hinges, try marine suppliers like Overtons's or West Marine, etc. They'll have them in Stainless steel so you won't have to worry about rust/corrosion.