TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Refinishing the Fiberglass top Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
specialev Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 pm

dubbified wrote: Paint it in a AUTO booth vs a garage, with Auto paint.

Painting is funny business. I've never used a booth before, always in the garage or outside. When I did the poptop on my van the parts I sprayed outside (transplanted sheet metal) turned out much nicer than the fiber glass shell I painted inside, just in terms of not having crap land in it. Both were more or less the same after color sanding and machine polishing. Using a two stage pretty forgiving due to the color sanding of the clear.

dubbified Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 pm

when we repainted the entire vehicle, I went with a single stage, that was so much easier.

I also stood back and fogged it, to get a less shiney finish, more of a satin effect, figured I am going to beat this paint job.

specialev Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:52 pm

We ended up passing you today on I90 in my buddies suburban on our way back from riding at the snoqualmie middle fork. Your van looks sick. I'm digging your rear bumper. Saw a bunch of wires hanging off your solar panel and going through your rear vent. You plan on routing that differently eventually?