TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mat or carpet for outside sliding door area Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
madspaniard Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:15 am

Hi all,

What do you use for the area just outside the sliding door? where do you keep it when traveling? Looking for inspiration. I'm about to install a Fiamma awning so I would like to expand the living area outside

Thanks

joetiger Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am

I like those Mad Mats. SoonerDave has one and I'm envious. Planning on ordering one before camping season gets underway.

Oddly enough, GoWesty has about the best price that I've found:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4114&category_id=&category_parent_id=

ETA: SpudlyHotPotato also uses them, as seen in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5677884&highlight=mad+mats#5677884

PDXWesty Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 am

I keep a 3'x4' carpeted door mat stored under the rear pad over the engine compartment (Target $19.99). I also have a 7'x12' outdoor carpet (Home Depot $45) that I keep rolled and inside my Yakima box. Both work great depending on the set-up.

markz2004 Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:35 am

Mad,

I tried to use a small piece of the cheap green indoor / outdoor carpet. The green blends in and looks really natural :roll: . The really big complaint is that the rubber backing flaked off and makes a total mess of the campsite. I have since stopped using the indoor/outdoor carpet.

Mark

Ahwahnee Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 am

What works best may depend on where you camp... i.e. what you're wanting to wipe off your feet to avoid tracking in: sand, mud, snow, dirt, etc.

We use a rubber mat like this:

and store it on top of the Rubbermaid-type storage container we have in the 'luggage' area over the cab. That container is scured with bungees and the mat just slips under the bungees for the ride.

photogdave Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am

We use a run-of-the-mill welcome mat and keep it stored either under the bench seat or in the porta-potty storage box.

PDXWesty Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am

markz2004 wrote: Mad,

I tried to use a small piece of the cheap green indoor / outdoor carpet. The green blends in and looks really natural :roll: . The really big complaint is that the rubber backing flaked off and makes a total mess of the campsite. I have since stopped using the indoor/outdoor carpet.

Mark

Hmmmm...I didn't seem to have that problem. The stuff I found didn't have a thick rubber backing, just kind of a coating. It's worked great for me so far. I got mine in blue.

buildyourown Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am

Small area rug from Ikea. Completely sythetic so you can hose it off when it gets dirty and it won't rot.
It goes on the floor of the van while driving and collects dirt from shoes/dog. When we stop, it goes ouside and takes the dirt w/ it.

markz2004 Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:28 pm

PDXWesty wrote: markz2004 wrote:

cheap

Hmmmm...I didn't seem to have that problem. The stuff I found didn't have a thick rubber backing, just kind of a coating. It's worked great for me so far.

I should have gotten the delux carpet. Kinda knew it when I was buying it. :oops: I'll have to find a good use for the green one after I go buy the blue version.

dubbified Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Fiberflooring!!!

Waterproof, does not scratch, and easy to roll//stow.. warm to the feet.. :)

Comes in a crapton of colors, textures.. sizes..

childofthewind Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:55 pm

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Stansport-507-Tata...3833363339

I use something very similar to this product. It's fairly cheap, can be hosed off, dries quickly and rolls up to be stored under my bench seat or up on a roof rack. It's bigger than just a door mat.. I like having space to set stuff outside, etc.

campism Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

vermontgirl wrote: http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Stansport-507-Tata...3833363339

I use something very similar to this product. It's fairly cheap, can be hosed off, dries quickly and rolls up to be stored under my bench seat or up on a roof rack. It's bigger than just a door mat.. I like having space to set stuff outside, etc.
I've had one of these before and it tended to pull apart at the center seams. Maybe they've been improved. Handy when new, though.

childofthewind Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm

campism wrote: vermontgirl wrote: http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Stansport-507-Tata...3833363339

I've had one of these before and it tended to pull apart at the center seams. Maybe they've been improved. Handy when new, though.

Mine is starting to do that, too. I wish they were made to last (like so many things..).

juanb Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 pm

I use one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20052187/
It's basically an oversized door mat. Very easy to shake dirt and sand off it. Its main function is as a door mat, to scrape my feet when entering the van.

Here it is in use:

And here is where I store it:

(I usually keep the door panel on the door though)

That GoWesty one looks nice, but I'd hate to have something I cannot just keep in the van's floor all the time. Otherwise, it would get in the way when I'm not using it outside of the van. If what you want is to expand the living area though, you might want something bigger

jerrydog411 Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:50 pm

PDXWesty wrote:

Hmmmm...I didn't seem to have that problem. The stuff I found didn't have a thick rubber backing, just kind of a coating. It's worked great for me so far. I got mine in blue.

WOW! Nice spot PDX ... where is that one?

John

SL1 Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 pm

I have a 6x4 woven rubber mat - recycled stuff -that I got at my local pharmacy, it is very easy to sweep off or rinse, rolls up tight and I throw it up in the luggage rack. got it on sale for $10., they retail for @ $30

stclair411 Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm

joetiger wrote: I like those Mad Mats. SoonerDave has one and I'm envious. Planning on ordering one before camping season gets underway.

Oddly enough, GoWesty has about the best price that I've found:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4114&category_id=&category_parent_id=

ETA: SpudlyHotPotato also uses them, as seen in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5677884&highlight=mad+mats#5677884

We have one and love it as do the parents for their Casita. I got ours off of Ebay for cheap because it had a flaw. I don't care. Super light, shake out with ease, and look freakin cool as well.

RCB Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 pm

I have one of those nice rubber mats that fit in the cargo area. I was contemplating getting another one for outside the sliding door. When Im done with it, I would just set it on top of the one in the cargo area.

These rubber mats are real easy to keep clean. Hose em off and set it in the sun for awhile until its dry.

Timwhy Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I use both Mat and Carpet. Carpet from Lowes/HD, $20 inside/outside gray 4' X 8'. The mat has
a Peace symbol on it, and was purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30. I know way too much $$$
for that thing but I think it's cool and it does clean off our feet. The good thing about the carpet is
the cost and the fact you can wash it outside and let it dry in the Sun when it gets stinky. The mat I
keep in the rear passenger area compartment on the floor. The carpet is stored in my shed and is
either transported to the campsite on my hitch haul or in the passenger compartment.

madspaniard Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 am

PDXWesty wrote: I keep a 3'x4' carpeted door mat stored under the rear pad over the engine compartment (Target $19.99). I also have a 7'x12' outdoor carpet (Home Depot $45) that I keep rolled and inside my Yakima box. Both work great depending on the set-up.

I think I like this approach, I also have a Yakima box so that will work great.

Thanks for the input so far.