TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: If you go to Harbor Freight, check your reciepts! Page: 1, 2  Next
PSScoots Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I recently bought a drill press at Harbor Freight Tools in Chattanooga. A few minutes ago I glanced at my receipt and discovered two items I didn't ask for but was charged for any way:

1: A 2 year replacement package for $10. The clerk never asked me if I wanted it, I just got charged for it.

2: I "joined" HF's tool club (ITC Membership) for $29.99, marked down to $19.99. The many people at Harbor Fright who pestered me about this program somehow managed not to mention that this little club costs money to join. Now I realize why I was so aggressively pestered about this, even though I was already on their mailing list.

"You need to re-sign up, we changed our computer and you might have dropped out of the system". I was suspicious about the whole thing and actually asked a floor manager if what I had just signed up for (again) was the same promotion I was already on the books for... She of course said yes and scurried away.

I hope Harbor Freight enjoys the crooked $30 they got out of me last week ... I'm not going to forget how they fucked me any time soon.

73 KAFER Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Thats why you should check your reciept BEFORE you leave any store.

Mark

enjoyther1de Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Look at it this way.. Thats 30 bucks you could have put towards decent tools! :lol:

VDubTech Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:24 pm

You didn't notice your total was $30 more than it should have been? That makes no sense to me. When I'm shopping for something....anything, I have an idea what the items I'm buying are going to cost. If there is that big of a discrepancy, you should have known immediately and asked your questions right there at the register. You didn't happen to be involved in something else when you were cashing out at the time, possibly standing there on your phone only paying half attention to the cashier? I'm sorry but anyone that doesn't notice they are being overcharged by $30 in a store before they swipe their credit card obviously isn't paying attention.

coad Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:40 pm

PSScoots wrote:
1: A 2 year replacement package for $10. The clerk never asked me if I wanted it, I just got charged for it.

... I'm not going to forget how they fucked me any time soon.

Well, if you really wanted to get your money's worth, that drill press could burn up a heck of a lot of motors in the next two years.

greg mgm Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Go right back and demand a refund for the membership and the replacement package. I did that after being pressured to buy an extended warranty at Best Buy. Be a dick to them if you have to. You didn't authorize those charges.

blankmange Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm

wow - I normally have a good idea in my head of the price before I slide my debit/credit card through the machine..... if it was $30 more than I was expecting, I would have asked long before I got home and looked over the receipt....

I'd be going back to the store and demanding a refund, not sitting in front of a computer bragging about getting shafted....

VWGirl Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:25 pm

I'd go back and tell them to take it off... or dispute the charge with your cc co if they don't do it.

Never had a problem at that HF myself, but I would have never swiped my card if they tried that :shock:

drscope Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 am

You also need to pay close attention to the prices being rung up. I have been charged regular prices for sale items on the floor before.

Was there in a hurry last summer just before closing time, bought a few things just because they were on sale with a BIG sign, but on the ride home discovered they were rung up for the full catalog price. Called and got the manager who said the sale was over but they hadn't changed the signs yet.

They also have about 4 different prices for each item depending on if you have the circular or not. So you have to make sure they are giving you the discount you think you are entitled to.

Madtat Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 am

coad wrote: PSScoots wrote:

... I'm not going to forget how they fucked me any time soon.

Well, if you really wanted to get your money's worth, that drill press could burn up a heck of a lot of motors in the next two years.

^^^^ It's from Harbor Freight......it will anyway! Maybe it's a good thing you were charged that, you will need it when the motors burn.
:twisted:

Tram Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 pm

73 KAFER wrote: Thats why you should check your reciept BEFORE you leave any store.

Mark

Exactly. I was reading this, going "Who the hell doesn't check the receipt?"

Dave24 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Tram wrote: 73 KAFER wrote: Thats why you should check your reciept BEFORE you leave any store.

Mark

Exactly. I was reading this, going "Who the hell doesn't check the receipt?" A bonehaed?

EZ Gruv Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

VDubTech wrote: You didn't notice your total was $30 more than it should have been? That makes no sense to me. When I'm shopping for something....anything, I have an idea what the items I'm buying are going to cost. If there is that big of a discrepancy, you should have known immediately and asked your questions right there at the register. You didn't happen to be involved in something else when you were cashing out at the time, possibly standing there on your phone only paying half attention to the cashier? I'm sorry but anyone that doesn't notice they are being overcharged by $30 in a store before they swipe their credit card obviously isn't paying attention.

This.

djkeev Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 pm

It's not only Harbor Freight. I got a tank of gas this weekend (NJ is a full service State) and asked the attendant to fill it with regular, he punches the Premium button and starts filling the tank! I quickly hopped out and stopped the Nozzle, he was perturbed and made all sorts of apologies but I'm sure it was intentional, really who looks at the pump?

Keep your eyes open and be aware of what is happening.

Dave

Dave24 Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:27 pm

djkeev wrote: It's not only Harbor Freight. I got a tank of gas this weekend (NJ is a full service State) and asked the attendant to fill it with regular, he punches the Premium button and starts filling the tank! I quickly hopped out and stopped the Nozzle, he was perturbed and made all sorts of apologies but I'm sure it was intentional, really who looks at the pump?

Keep your eyes open and be aware of what is happening.

Dave I do.... Be aware? what, are we in zombie land now?... :?

djkeev Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Dave24 wrote: ........... Be aware? what, are we in zombie land now?... :?

You would be amazed at the number of people who pass through life in a fog seemingly unaware of life swirling around them!

Dave

my59 Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:18 pm

drscope wrote: You also need to pay close attention to the prices being rung up. I have been charged regular prices for sale items on the floor before.

Was there in a hurry last summer just before closing time, bought a few things just because they were on sale with a BIG sign, but on the ride home discovered they were rung up for the full catalog price. Called and got the manager who said the sale was over but they hadn't changed the signs yet.

My mother scored major on some furniture that way- price marked is what they have to sell it at, no matter what BS they might give you. Taught me a major lesson in holding your ground. Sticker says x and you want x plus? I guess you need motivate your staff to fix the stickers.

Cusser Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm

I want to express some satisfaction with Harbor Freight Tools, I know there's plenty of bashing of HF on the Internet. Besides the HF electric impact wrench and drill press I bought from them 15+ years ago, recently I bought an electric pole chain saw for about $65, works very well.

I recently re-purchased two items at HF for which I had initial issues. The solar dragonfly sets flashed instead of just lighting, had to solder a wire to a different location as the fix (from Internet, not in directions, and box/directions said nothing about flashing). Guess, what: that's been remedied, works right out of the box. The other was an $11 palm sander for which a quarter-sheet was just to small to be held right by the clips (I had lost a clip); well, it's been redesigned and now a quarter sheet fits fine.

I also used my $30 electric hammer drill over the weekend, drilled 4 holes into concrete to secure a mounting plate for a floor threshold; how folks get along without a hammer drill and correct concrete bits escapes me.

So it looks like customer service at HF is listening to customers, a good thing !!!

Zundfolge1432 Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks for digging up this thread an excellent example of comic relief. :D

It reminds me of a Saturday night live skit.

Cali_Army_Guy Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:18 pm

djkeev wrote: Dave24 wrote: ........... Be aware? what, are we in zombie land now?... :?

You would be amazed at the number of people who pass through life in a fog seemingly unaware of life swirling around them!

Dave

Exactly. I wonder how many people could identify someone hours or even days later if the person in front of or behind them in line at the store was on americas most wanted a day or two later? Nobody pays attention to shit.