TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Driver with a Big Motor. Good or bad? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DarthWeber Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 am

Let's go back to square one for a moment. Alice, are you sure the piston is trashed beyond use? Are the cylinder walls gouged out too or is just the piston top a little gouged? How about the combustion chamber, is it gouged out? Are the valves OK?

Point is, if it's not too bad and you only intend to use this motor as a temp then you might be able to get by with what you have. Can you post pics of the damage?

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:29 am

Piston AND cylinder are both bad. Cylinder has a crack at the bottom at the casting seam. Piston has a few dent/nicks from the offending tin screw. I'll get pics when I get home and post them up.

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

DarthWeber wrote: Let's go back to square one for a moment. Alice, are you sure the piston is trashed beyond use? Are the cylinder walls gouged out too or is just the piston top a little gouged? How about the combustion chamber, is it gouged out? Are the valves OK?

Point is, if it's not too bad and you only intend to use this motor as a temp then you might be able to get by with what you have. Can you post pics of the damage?

Top of the piston is a little gouged, combustion chamber rather gouged, but repairable. Screw didn't hit the valves at all. They look just fine. The cylinder is trashed due to a big crack. I'll take good pics of all and post them this evening.

DarthWeber Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 am

I'm betting the piston is re-useable, rings??

Anyone out there want to donate a 92mm cylinder to the cause?

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:50 am

DarthWeber wrote: I'm betting the piston is re-useable, rings??

Rings are just fine. The worst gouges are in the head. You're giving me hope! :D

Wayne26 Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:30 pm

DarthWeber wrote: I'm betting the piston is re-useable, rings??

I have one with 10 miles on it.

or 4, as 3 wont do me any good. lol

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Wayne26 wrote: DarthWeber wrote: I'm betting the piston is re-useable, rings??

10 miles??? How did that happen? What are your plans for them?

krusher Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:14 pm

OutlawAlice wrote: craigman wrote: A 1835 is a small motor. And if it gets hot in the summer around your area I wouldn't build a 1835 or a 1641. Both have thinner cylnders. Thin cylnders can't dissapate the heat very well like thicker cylnders can.
Either build a stock 1600 or a 1776. Both would be excellent engine for your use.
And no, a bigger motor, like a 2110, or anything with a 90.5 bore, won't run hot if built right. They can actually run cooler. The 90.5 bore has a nice thick cylnder wall. A 2110 is my favorite motor for a street car.

Okay. I'm confused. Thin walls are better for heat dissipation yet thick walls are less likely to warp from heat.

So I'm looking at a 50/50 chance of longevity either way?

Yes you are confused, thin walls = worst all round.
thickwalls = worse all round.

I would sell your Chinese 87s, and either get stock german 1600's or go to the new thickwall 88's which fit a stock case and need an opened up cylinder head.

Wayne26 Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 pm

OutlawAlice wrote: Wayne26 wrote: DarthWeber wrote: I'm betting the piston is re-useable, rings??

I spun a rod bearing and ended up putting a bigger cam and 94's in while it was apart.

I can give you one if you really need it and put it to use. just don't want to waste my time boxing it up and shiping it off and you not use it.

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Wayne26 wrote: OutlawAlice wrote: Wayne26 wrote: DarthWeber wrote: I'm betting the piston is re-useable, rings??

I spun a rod bearing and ended up putting a bigger cam and 94's in while it was apart.

I can give you one if you really need it and put it to use. just don't want to waste my time boxing it up and shiping it off and you not use it.

NOT use it??? Dude, This used to be my ONLY transportation. If I had to choose between my Passat and ny bug - bye bye passat. I miss my bug horribly and I want to drive it. I'll freaking send you stage by stage pics of the installation!!!!!!!

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Here are the pics...

Piston -

Head (it has been smoothed after this pic was taken) -

Cylinder -

Wayne26 Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:04 pm

ok what's the address, I will do my best to get it out tomorrow.

if you are going to reuse that piston make sure the rings move freely below that dent. and hit those spots with some 320 sand paper to take off any sharp edges. I'm sure some will say its toast and some will say its fine.

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Wayne26 wrote: ok what's the address, I will do my best to get it out tomorrow.

if you are going to reuse that piston make sure the rings move freely below that dent. and hit those spots with some 320 sand paper to take off any sharp edges. I'm sure some will say its toast and some will say its fine.

I've already been told the trash it/ use it. I'm going with use it. I have seen worse damage on motors that ran good for many years. :)

320 sandpaper. Got it. I already smoothed the head out. The gouges are actually shallower than it seemed. That's a good thing.

PM on the way. And I can't thank you enough!!! :D :D :D :D

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Oh! Gonna do a search, but I swear I read or was told that painting cylinders black can help in cooling by the same method black tins do. Is there any truth to that?

Mack_T Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:56 pm

I've always painted my cylinders black... so I have nothing to compare temps to. Keeps them from rusting too bad at least.

If you do, make sure to use a fairly thin coat of black paint. Don't want to insulate it with a super thick coating :)

Good luck!

OutlawAlice Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Mack_T wrote: I've always painted my cylinders black... so I have nothing to compare temps to. Keeps them from rusting too bad at least.

If you do, make sure to use a fairly thin coat of black paint. Don't want to insulate it with a super thick coating :)

Good luck!

Gotcha! They're already pretty dark. A light dusting should be all I need! Thank you!

andy198712 Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 am

and dont use any insulating paint ect

OutlawAlice Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 am

andy198712 wrote: and dont use any insulating paint ect

Insulating paint. I have two heat paints at my disposal. BBQ/grill paint and Header paint. I used Header paint on my muffler and heater boxes.

How do I know if it's insulating? Do you have a suggestion?

catbox Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 am

Don't put it on to thick and you should be fine.
:D

OutlawAlice Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 am

catbox wrote: Don't put it on to thick and you should be fine.
:D

Gotcha. I figure a light dusting. Just enough to keep rust at bay. 8)