TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: problem with filling the propane tank Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
JN99 Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:05 pm

delibessleep wrote: To the PNW posters: The shell station in Woodinville filled mine up without concern. I told him to stop at 2 gallons before he began.

And while the standard and float requirements have changed for the better, I find it very difficult to believe a tank is any safer with the float. I think it comes down to paying attention when you are filling the tank.

There is no way the Auto Stop is any "safer" than the replacement filler and a bleeder.

Good to know, thanks for the info on the Shell station. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the only place I know of or have seen in or around Redmond is the UHaul on 85th. Maybe they'll do it; I dunno. I still have the auto stop valve on mine for now so I need to see if it will even take propane with that - last time it was filled was by the PO in Sept. last year I think.

Franklinstower Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

by the way, the dude at Evergreen RV also said if you have an autostop valve that does not leak, they are good valves and prevents over filling. If you need to have your tank filled, don't ask the 18 yo kid at the gas station, he won't do it right, get the old crusty dude to fill it. As posted earlier, the dude also said the main problem with filling is not opening up the bleeder ALL THE WAY, then pressing the reset, then pumping the liquid.

delibessleep Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 pm

When I took mine in for a filling, I opened the bleeder myself so it was just short of coming off...and checked to ensure the main valve was closed.

And I watch the attendant to make sure he's paying attention. He does.

The shell station is at the corner of Hwy 522 and Paradise Lake Rd.

kamzcab86 Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Franklinstower wrote: if you have an autostop valve that does not leak, they are good valves and prevents over filling.

What happens when the fuel gauge says 2.9 gallons went in? When I was at U-Haul today (filled it no problem; kid knew what he was doing, unlike the idiot inside the store), I totally forgot about the 80% rule and didn't even consider the auto-stop being faulty.

If the tank took 2.9 gallons, does that mean the auto-stop valve has gone bad and the tank was actually over-filled? Or, is 2.9 gallons okay? The tank supposedly is 3 gallons, and 80% would be 2.4 gallons, according to my calculator.

danfromsyr Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 pm

sitting here on the sofa, my memory says the tank is 3.3g
and that the normal 80% is at 2.8g
so at 2.9g you should be ok, discrepancies in measuring devices etc..

Ahwahnee Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 pm

The manual says the tank has a 3 gallon 'capacity' -- I always took that to mean you could put 3 gallons in it, i.e. the volume was large enough that at 80% you'd get 3 in.

I am quite sure I have had 2.8 g fill-ups at times & I usually try not to let it run out.

Navy_Flyer Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Took my Westy to the local station recommended to me by another local Westy owner. Told him I did not know how much was in the tank - my first fill since owning it - and in no case go more than 2 gallons. Well, as soon as he cracked open the bleeder, it 'hissed' and he immediatedly closed it - said it was full. I asked him if it could just be expansion in the tank. He tried again - cracked open the valve and tried to pump in some LP - he couldn't get any to go in - but he also never touched the reset button. Should that button be depressed every time? Is it a press and hold, or just press and release?

kamzcab86 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 pm

danfromsyr wrote: sitting here on the sofa, my memory says the tank is 3.3g
and that the normal 80% is at 2.8g
so at 2.9g you should be ok, discrepancies in measuring devices etc..

Ahwahnee wrote: The manual says the tank has a 3 gallon 'capacity' -- I always took that to mean you could put 3 gallons in it, i.e. the volume was large enough that at 80% you'd get 3 in.

I am quite sure I have had 2.8 g fill-ups at times & I usually try not to let it run out.

When I read the manual (after getting home), it said: "Do not overfill tank. Fill tank to 80% of capacity." Next page said: "Tank has a 3 gallon capacity" (no 3.3 mentioned). Wasn't sure if 2.9 would be an overfill; 3 gallons being the 80% makes sense. So, phew! Thanks for the info! :D

Navy_Flyer wrote: Well, as soon as he cracked open the bleeder, it 'hissed' and he immediatedly closed it - said it was full.

Did the same thing with mine, but mine spewed white liquid along with that "hiss" when the attendant cracked open the bleeder, hence, confirmation that mine didn't require filling... 2 years ago.

danfromsyr Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 pm

ok, here's what I dug up w/o going out to the garage to read my tag.

Gowesty's site.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2447

Quote: A shiny new propane tank! Includes internal auto-stop valve, shut-off valve and skid plate. 3.3 gallon capacity. This tank is manufactured by the OEM Supplier Manchester Tank, and is compliant with all Federal Regulations. It is a direct bolt in replacement for all Volkswagen Bus and Vanagon applications

mad.macs Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

delibessleep wrote: I am about to order the following from Helmar (from a recommendation in an earlier thread):
http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/7647sc.htm
http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/3165c.htm

This is one reason I love the Samba. I spent an hour trying to find an inexpensive fill/bleeder valve using the googles. 4 Minutes on the Samba and there they are BOTH valves for $17!+Sh

delibessleep Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 am

mad.macs wrote: delibessleep wrote: I am about to order the following from Helmar (from a recommendation in an earlier thread):

This is one reason I love the Samba. I spent an hour trying to find an inexpensive fill/bleeder valve using the googles. 4 Minutes on the Samba and there they are BOTH valves for $17!+Sh

I have no complaints with these items. Both are great quality and work flawlessly. While I was at it, I replaced the regulator with one from Van Cafe. Works like a charm.

presslab Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:05 am

mad.macs wrote: This is one reason I love the Samba. I spent an hour trying to find an inexpensive fill/bleeder valve using the googles. 4 Minutes on the Samba and there they are BOTH valves for $17!+Sh

I'm glad you found it useful. 8)

Tishamingo Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:27 am

delibessleep wrote: mad.macs wrote: delibessleep wrote: I am about to order the following from Helmar (from a recommendation in an earlier thread):

I have no complaints with these items. Both are great quality and work flawlessly. While I was at it, I replaced the regulator with one from Van Cafe. Works like a charm.

I might have to use these links thanks to the idiot at the Gas Station here in McMinnville. Or am I the idiot for assuming this kid knew what he was doing as he complimented me on my "sick hippie van" as he fumbled beneath hooking up the propane. Ahh live and learn as I was talking to my Father on the phone who is in Thailand at the time and tried to do too much all at once.

Westy's have a strange way of reminding me to slow down and take it easy. Same issue as yours. Closed the bleeder valve and propane still shot out at an angle from beneath the valve out of the pinhole. No way to stop it, got a solid hour in reading the bently hanging out waiting for the tank to drain. Checked the torque on my CV joints I replaced a few weeks ago, actually got some good van maintenance done but it pretty much killed my evening.

I am at work and just scanned the thread but is there any explanation of why it gets redirected out of the pinhole? Do I need a new valve? I am going to the Propane store after work to see if they can help.

The funny part (at least now I can laugh) is that the kid came up and said, I am sorry you have a leaky tank but I still have to charge you for the propane, as it is escaping into the atmosphere.

Sigh, will do more research later, just at my job and have to get back to this thing called work they pay me for.. Thanks Samba!

presslab Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 am

Tishamingo wrote:
I am at work and just scanned the thread but is there any explanation of why it gets redirected out of the pinhole? Do I need a new valve? I am going to the Propane store after work to see if they can help.

First, the bleeder valve is there to let you know when the liquid propane level has reached the level of the bleeder valve. While filling, the attendant will monitor the hole to see when liquid propane starts shooting out, and then that means the tank is full.

The hole in the bleeder valve is there to allow the propane to escape when the bleeder valve is open. If you closed the bleeder and propane still comes out, then the bleeder valve is just bad and it's probably not the attendant's fault.

Tishamingo Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:33 am

presslab wrote: Tishamingo wrote:

First, the bleeder valve is there to let you know when the liquid propane level has reached the level of the bleeder valve. While filling, the attendant will monitor the hole to see when liquid propane starts shooting out, and then that means the tank is full.

The hole in the bleeder valve is there to allow the propane to escape when the bleeder valve is open. If you closed the bleeder and propane still comes out, then the bleeder valve is just bad and it's probably not the attendant's fault.

Thank for your response, I understand the Bleeder valve and where the propane would come out from. My deal was that when he closed it it began coming out of the pinhole the OP posted about in this photo

I will look at it more later but if I opened the bleeder valve then it would come out of the right spot. Once closed though it began leaking from a different spot very close to the valve out of a pinhole that looks like it should be there.

I had just used the Tank for the fridge and stove multiple times over the past month so it was good as of last weekend.

I am not really blaming the kid but he opened it up full blast with the pumps on and put 3 gallons in the tank in about 15 seconds, then it sprung a leak. I fill the tanks at the nursery for our heaters in the winter and always would take it slow at first, but maybe that was just how I was taught. So who knows, can't blame the kid, just told him to be humble. Just curious if anyone had any experience or advice. I will post the outcome later.

ShultzRoadHouse Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 pm

This thread got me motivated to fill my tank also, Ive owned it for a year now and never tried to fill it until now. Took it to Zamzows (local lawn and garden shop) some kid came over and told me this is the third one he has filled today. Filled it with 2.8gals with no problem. Lit the burners and flame on!! In the past two days I gotten the sink, stove and refer all to work. I haven't tried the propane setting on the refer yet but she works off of A/C. Now I have to grow some balls and try the BA6 booster heater, Im replacing all the associated fuel lines that go to it first. Thanks to The Samba!!!

delibessleep Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Tishamingo wrote: delibessleep wrote: mad.macs wrote: delibessleep wrote: I am about to order the following from Helmar (from a recommendation in an earlier thread):

I might have to use these links thanks to the idiot at the Gas Station here in McMinnville. Or am I the idiot for assuming this kid knew what he was doing as he complimented me on my "sick hippie van" as he fumbled beneath hooking up the propane. Ahh live and learn as I was talking to my Father on the phone who is in Thailand at the time and tried to do too much all at once.

Westy's have a strange way of reminding me to slow down and take it easy. Same issue as yours. Closed the bleeder valve and propane still shot out at an angle from beneath the valve out of the pinhole. No way to stop it, got a solid hour in reading the bently hanging out waiting for the tank to drain. Checked the torque on my CV joints I replaced a few weeks ago, actually got some good van maintenance done but it pretty much killed my evening.

The funny part (at least now I can laugh) is that the kid came up and said, I am sorry you have a leaky tank but I still have to charge you for the propane, as it is escaping into the atmosphere.

Sigh, will do more research later, just at my job and have to get back to this thing called work they pay me for.. Thanks Samba!

Sounds exactly like what happened to my auto stop valve. there is a plunger within the thing that weakens over time, and will not create the necessary seal. You can not repair it with any confidence that it will work correctly. I bought the bleeder and fill valve listed in the hyperlinks. They work like a charm. Because I had no history on the condition of the regulator, I replaced it too...and since I was there...I replaced the shut off valve. All ln all, about $100, but the peace of mind was completely worth it.

presslab Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Tishamingo wrote: Thank for your response, I understand the Bleeder valve and where the propane would come out from. My deal was that when he closed it it began coming out of the pinhole the OP posted about in this photo

Oh, I see. Well then it sounds like the autostop valve has failed internally. It can be rebuilt but many of us just replace it with the normal valves listed above.

It does sound like the attendant was a bit reckless, but your valve was on borrowed time. My main problem with the attendants is that they overfill my tank. The autostop valve would prevent this! But I'd rather have an occasional tank overfill (which bleeds off slowly) than an autostop valve deciding to leak at any time.

Tishamingo Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:49 pm

presslab wrote: Tishamingo wrote: Thank for your response, I understand the Bleeder valve and where the propane would come out from. My deal was that when he closed it it began coming out of the pinhole the OP posted about in this photo

Oh, I see. Well then it sounds like the autostop valve has failed internally. It can be rebuilt but many of us just replace it with the normal valves listed above.

It does sound like the attendant was a bit reckless, but your valve was on borrowed time. My main problem with the attendants is that they overfill my tank. The autostop valve would prevent this! But I'd rather have an occasional tank overfill (which bleeds off slowly) than an autostop valve deciding to leak at any time.

Yep sounds like it, I am going to get it looked at today and don't mind paying 20$ for a cheap lesson learned.

Borrowed time is right and as someone earlier mentioned in the thread, I live in Oregon where you can't pump gas or propane yourself. so to the attendants credit, he had about 5 cars he was gassing when he came over to fill my propane tank. Haste makes waste, especially when it comes to these 25+ year vehicles. Thanks though, it felt as it was something internally but I like to be armed with info before I go into places to get "help"

Edited to say I just saw your post where you said it was around 100$. Would rather have it working than not but maybe the propane shop can help me out... my list of parts to order online is long enough already, plus I wanted to keep my brews cold after a post surf beverage tomorrow! :D

Navy_Flyer Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:39 pm

OK then, please help me to diagnose IF my autostop valve is broken..

How hard is it to depress? When checking my tank for propane I lit the stove for a few minutes, then misted the propane tank. It showed a nice line about 1/3 down from the top - so I gather it's got plenty of propane. But, I cannot depress that reset button to save my life - wanted to get the tank 'topped' but can't get it to take any propane at all - no LP from the overflow - just hiss of gas if I crack it open. Is there a trick to depressing it? Must it/Can it only be depressed when the filling nozzle is connected? Does it have to be held depressed, or will it reset itself once pressed?