TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: TMI or Sewfine? Page: 1, 2  Next
eyemyeye Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:26 am

Ready to order interior for my 66 vert. Would like opinions on which company you would choose or neither and why.

rcooled Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:31 am

Sewfine for covers and door panels. Newton Commercial for carpet. Look at their "narrow weave" style...look & texture is very similar to OEM.

Forget about TMI...

CowtownVW Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:40 pm

does anyone know if Sewfine ever has any kind of warehouse sale or has a showroom in Amarillo? I'm need to be in the panhandle sometime in the next couple of months and wondered if it was worth a trip by their place?

andk5591 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 am

CowtownVW wrote: does anyone know if Sewfine ever has any kind of warehouse sale or has a showroom in Amarillo? I'm need to be in the panhandle sometime in the next couple of months and wondered if it was worth a trip by their place?

Call them........

And to the OP - this question has come up quite a few times in the past.

I have used mostly TMI kits for seats, panels and carpets. (installed 3 or 4 full interiors over the last couple years) Tried Mid America ONCE for carpet. Used SewFine for panels and seats in custom application.

TMI has a good selection, is readily available and reasonably priced. No complaints except I wish their backer board for the side panels was a better material, not bad, just that the Sewfine backer spoiled me. Will continue to buy from them though.

Mid America carpet - shipped wrong item, finally shipped correct item and the fit was terrible at the rocker/kick panel joint - returned it for refund. Never again.

SewFine - Very good quality, was able to make exactly what I wanted and the price was fair. Will use them if/when I need something other than stock or want something "better" than stock.

Roadcow Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 pm

This is great info thanks for the ? and the replies. I have to go through this on my 74 Vert and a 69 Coupe.

xilly Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Hello

I order a set of carpet for my 64 Karmann from SewFine and TMI
(not the same color)

TMI carpets is significantely better in term of quality.

William

Foss Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 pm

I got TMI seat covers through KGPR. I am happy enough with them but I would have expected that at least the material for the seat backs would have been included. There was nothing that said this was not to be included. I then had to match it up at a local supplier. Still have to make the seat back panels though as mine were trashed. Only looked at Sewfine catalog, sure looks nice though! Best of luck!

eyemyeye Mon May 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Want to say thanks for everyone's reply's. Decided to go Sewfine. Spoke originally with Ryan in sales and ended up finalizing the big sale with Carol the president. Very helpful group of people.

swhitcomb Mon May 07, 2012 5:21 pm

You'll be very happy. Sewfine makes a very quality interior.

NOVA Airhead Tue May 08, 2012 8:10 am

The original carpet on my '71 is not the loop style you see advertised. I think its called cut pile. What would be the equivalent replacement?

Also KGP&R shows the square weave in there catalog. It costs more than $1,500. Why is this so expensive? Is it made with gold thread?

jason_hamilton Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am

Square weave wool carpet is what was installed at Karmann.
It is hella expensive, but very nice. I just installed a set of TMI's square weave in my 1969 last month and it looks pretty damn good.
However, I got it in a trade deal with HoG and the retail price is about $1400.00. If I had to do it over again I would definitely go with Newton Commercial.
While TMI's carpet quality is 10/10, the fit is 8/10 and the detail is 4/10. For about 60% of TMI's cost, Newton's carpets have all the details I'm sorry I didn't get in the TMI set:
basket-weave style matting on the left panel for your clutch foot
basket-weave style matting on forward of the pedal cluster
cutout with laminated edging for the gearshift lever
cutout with laminated edging for the hand brake lever
cutouts for the footwell vents

Newton's simply appears to be much closer to concours quality, at significantly lower cost - even when you factor in shipping.

RMCLARKSON Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm

The Sewfine place is a good place to get your interior. I have my door panels and even had them make a custom shifter.

Rob

RMCLARKSON Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm

The Sewfine place is a good place to get your interior. I have my door panels and even had them make a custom shifter.

Rob

rcooled Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 pm

This is carpet from Newton Commercial in my '67. The first photo is much closer to the actual color than the other. This is one of the only kits I found that had the rubber mat behind the pedals like the original did. I ordered the narrow weave style in charcoal gray with black vinyl binding. The full set, shipped directly to CA, was around $400.

kdcaul Tue May 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi RCOOLED,

Your carpet,as your car looks, very nice.Will you share as to how you dealt with Newton;phone or email? Did it take long to receive once you ordered?

Thanks,
Kevin

Volfandt Wed May 09, 2012 4:51 am

rcooled, that Newton Commercial carpet looks very nice. I'll be in the market for a full interior redo, but not for awhile yet. I like that rubber in the wear areas
Feel free to post more pics of your interior :D
Dave

rcooled Wed May 09, 2012 6:54 am

kdcaul wrote: Hi RCOOLED,

Your carpet,as your car looks, very nice.Will you share as to how you dealt with Newton;phone or email? Did it take long to receive once you ordered?

Thanks,
Kevin

I used both e-mail and phone to contact Newton. I believe that the initial order was placed phone. They were very easy to deal with and the carpet took about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

rcooled Wed May 09, 2012 6:56 am

Volfandt wrote: rcooled, that Newton Commercial carpet looks very nice. I'll be in the market for a full interior redo, but not for awhile yet. I like that rubber in the wear areas
Feel free to post more pics of your interior :D
Dave

Altema Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 am

Wow, that is SO nice. I know where I'm getting my next carpet set. The current carpet in mine was either for the wrong car or they really got their measurements wrong; the shifter cutout is about 2 inches forward of where it is supposet to be and whoever installed it just made a slit for the shifter and left the laminated cutout ahead of it on the tunnel. Oh well, at least I have a "holder" for my stereo remote, lol.
The front sides come about 5 inches short of meeting the door opening, there is a bunched up section at the rear of the tunnel that could have been trimmed during install, and no cutouts for the rear heat vents, so the carpet has to be tucked up out of the way to get that direct flow that warms up underneath your seat and keeps your um, lower parts comfy!

Paul

c21darrel Wed May 09, 2012 10:38 am

really nice carpet kit with the rubber...I think i know where ill get mine now.